Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heb. 2:16 Peshitto/Peshitta difference
There is a big difference between Eastern and Western texts of the Peshitta(o) in Heb. 2:16.
But unfortunately I cannot paste estrangelo text or put screenshort part for
it does not go through.
When studying context logic, it looks for me in favor of
the Eastern text.
Shlama akhi,

this was discussed some time back by Chuck (Thirdwoe) in response to a reference i had made:

Quote:And speaking of that verse in Hebrews 2:16...here is an analysis of the differant English translation versions I have here:

Eastern Peshitta reading:

Etheridge: - For not from the angels he took [Men malakee nasab], but from the seed of Abraham he took.
Murdoch: - For he did not assume [a nature] from angels, but he assumed [a nature] from the seed of Abraham.
Roth: 1st Ed - For he did not assume (an immortal manifestation) from Messengers, but he assumed (a mortal manifestation) from the seed of Awraham.
Lamsa: - For he did not take on him the pattern of angels; but he did take on him the seed of Abraham.
Magiera: - For he did not assume [a nature] from the angels, but he assumed death from the seed of Abraham.

And these all, in their Eastern Peshitta readings, agrees with what is found in the ancient Greek, Latin and Coptic versions.
KJV: - For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
Majority: - For indeed He does not take hold of angels, but He does take hold of the seed of Abraham.
Sinai: - For surely not angels does he succor, but the posterity of Abraham he succors.
Vulg: - For at no time did he take hold of the Angels, but instead he took hold of the offspring of Abraham.
Copt: - For he was not laying hold on the angels, but he is laying hold on the seed of Abraham.

Western Peshitto reading:

Bauscher - For death was not authorized over the Angels, but death was authorized over the seed of Abraham.

Very strange reading there in the Western Peshitto version...
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.peshitta.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2917">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2917</a><!-- l -->

hope that confirms something for you!

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
Burning One wrote
Quote:viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2917
thank you, am to read, very interesting and helpful.

I see that Peshitta/Peshitto differences are here
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.peshitta.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2633">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2633</a><!-- l -->

On the other side I was reading Hebrews and found the following differences
Hebrews 12:27
Hebrews 7:11
Hebrews 8:1
Hebrews 8:2
Hebrews 8:11
Hebrews 9:17
Hebrews 11:6
Hebrews 11:21
Hebrews 12:5
Hebrews 7:4
thanks to <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com">www.dukhrana.com</a><!-- w -->.
Peshitto vs. Khaboris differences as taken from dukhrana.com
some are very minor.
1Timothy 3:6
1Timothy 4:14
1Timothy 5:11
1Timothy 6:10
2Timothy 1:15
2Timothy 2:3
2Timothy 3:7
2Timothy 3:8
2Timothy 3:9
2Timothy 3:17