Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isaiah 45:17, Peshitta, Mass, LXX, etc
shlomo Dave,

lo modem! tawdi lokh!

gbausc Wrote:Shlama Abudar,

You are right, Abudar. I have just examined the Codex and it does not have all the notes I find in my Peshitta edition (Syriac Bible,1979 UBS). Are you saying some modern editor put in his two cents worth? What ms. has these notes? I can't believe they were just inserted in a modern edition. The text of the Psalms seems to be from Ambrosianus, but the notes must come from another manuscript, which I believe represents a very ancient source.

If you notice the OT in both the Codex and the current Peshitta it has the word 'ptg' which is short for 'ftgma'. This word is used in liturgical texts to give a short introduction or meaning to a text. As such these introductions in the Psalms are there for liturgical usage or short descriptions or even links to the NT.

But one thing to note is that when we refere to a Psalm, we don't use it number, but rather the first few words of the actual Psalm (this applies to any Text.)

Here's the Maronite of Psalm (where you won't find the introductionSmile
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cdm.csbsju.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/HMMLMicrofi&CISOPTR=60531&CISOBOX=1&REC=1">http://cdm.csbsju.edu/cdm4/item_viewer. ... OX=1&REC=1</a><!-- m -->

In some of our Lectionaries we have a short description prior to the actual Text, but these short descriptions are never read, they're there for liturgical use. And there are others which are hymned as an introductions to biblical readings.

So when they had inserted these introductions or modified them, it didn't matter, as they didn't consider them as part of the Text.

Notice that in the Maronite Psalm Text, the current full Peshitta OT Text of Psalm, and the Codex Ambrosianus OT Psalms that the actual Psalm is word for word identical.

gbausc Wrote:So many of these inscriptions are Christian in character. Psalm 46 has reference to "adulterating the preaching of the Apostles", and you ignored the note from Psalm 74 (not Ambrosianus), which speaks of the destruction of Jerusalem as a recent event ("the nobles have not returned unto this day") and dates it as "40 years after the ascension". What sense does it make to use that language centuries after the event? Psalm 71 has a note: "Prophecy about the suffering and resurrection of The Messiah."

Same logic as above.

gbausc Wrote:It would be interesting to find what ms.these extended notes come from. I believe they show that the translator(s) of the Psalms were Jews from 1st century Israel who had become "talmidya d'Meshikha".

It is very possible and probable that some of these introductions can be from an earlier time.

gbausc Wrote:Do you object to my translation:"
Quote:About the communion table and to us now, spiritually ,an introduction of the new Christian people
"? I notice you have "entrance" instead of "introduction",omit "people" and have "as Christians" instead of "of Christians". "Pathowra" can refer to the communion table as well as an altar, and usually does refer to a table of some kind (several times, the Lord's table) in the NT.
Dave

The word "Communion Table" is another word for Altar, especially given that our Kohnuto believe that they continue in the line of Malkizdek from the OT (who we consider to be a prophecy of the kohnuto of Yeshu'), as he also raised bread and wine on an Altar.

I believe that this passage just means the following: "That through Communion from the Altar of God, we spiritually become new Christians again." It talks about the benefits of Communion.

Since I'm not a kohno, take my translations as is.

shlome wiqore,
keefa-morun

Messages In This Thread
Re: Isaiah 45:17, Peshitta, Mass, LXX, etc - by abudar2000 - 02-12-2008, 03:45 AM