Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic questions about Peshitta primacy
[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]0nwygl[/font]

Reading the gospel with my daughter at bedtime, I stumbled over a form of this word, which is translated as "Legion." The story at the beginning of Marqus Chapter 5 has always been one of my favorites, and has become a favorite also of my daughter's. When I came upon this word, it looked like at first glance a good case for the Greek primacy people, because it is obviously etymologically linked to the same word in Greek.

Searching the lexicon, I noticed the only other references of this root in the Gospels were Luqa 8:30 (the same story), and Mattai 26:53, in which Yeshua refers to the angels of God as "legions." CAL made it clear that [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]0nwygl[/font] was indeed a word in Aramaic at some time. I'm interested in the etymology here; was it borrowed from the Greek, or does it have a root in common?

--

I've been reading Jesus and the Nonviolent Revolution by Andre Trocme, a pastor known for giving refuge to Jews durring the holocaust and helping them evacuate from Germany. I have been very inspired by Trocme's thesis that the core of Yeshua's message was the reestablishment of the Jubilee. I thought others here (particularly Andrew Gabriel Roth) might also be interested in this thesis, and the beautiful way in whcih Trocme explores this idea. I am curious to hear your reflections on this.

Blessings!
john paul
--
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://beardedbaby.net/">http://beardedbaby.net/</a><!-- m -->
--
"Take heed, dear Friends, to the promptings of love and truth in your hearts, which are the leadings of GOD." - London Yearly Meeting Advices, 1964

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 06-10-2004, 02:57 AM
[No subject] - by John Stephens - 06-10-2004, 02:18 PM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 06-10-2004, 02:59 PM
[No subject] - by John Stephens - 06-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Re: Basic questions about Peshitta primacy - by John Stephens - 06-20-2004, 02:39 AM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 06-20-2004, 03:13 AM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 07-13-2004, 08:46 PM
[No subject] - by Ivan Pavlovich Ostapyuk - 07-17-2004, 07:15 AM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 07-28-2004, 04:04 PM