Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New(er) Online Peshitta Translation
Nimrod, you said "harder to "legitimize" the translation without having an understanding of the source author(s) and editor(s)." and... "In short, if Professor Joe or Jane Doe wants to help "validate" this translation (for the good of the masses), they don't have a point of reference to go to for any questions, concerns, etc."

I say that the best way to legitimize a translation isn't by knowing who the persons are, but rather, what their translations say. And we can check that out easy enough by simply checking it ourselves to see if the translations are accurate or not, and they provide a link to a study tool to do just that on each page looks like, which is very helpful.

We have Lamsa's translation to read and check too, and though he, being an apparent authority of repute, we notice many deviations in his translation from the Eastern Peshitta text that he is said to have translated from. And his translations are not always true to the Aramaic text, sometime much more with the King James Version of the Greek Scriptures. And thus. I would much rather have an anonymous translation that is accurate, than an inaccurate one from a known person of some status and recognition.

Also, I think it is great that they are open and willing to consider any correction or suggestions to help make that translation/transliteration better. If we see anything that needs corrected we can simply send them a message from their site, as you did. That is good to know. Thanks for sharing that response.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New(er) Online Peshitta Translation - by Thirdwoe - 05-24-2019, 09:48 PM