Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Septuagint - a translation of Aramaic OT?
Hello Distazo,
I got it from the website (you mentioned) and also from a book. Let me give you the book and the page number.

Book "Targum and Testament Revisited: Aramaic Paraphrases of the Hebrew Bible" by Martin McNamara, Page 96 under "3. The Septuagint Ending of Job and Targum."

It says "In some manuscripts of the Septuagint (Manuscripts- Aleph, A, B, and C) there is an epilogue which is introduced with the words: houtos hermeneutai ek tes syriakes bibliou."
Thanks!
One interesting point that must be noted is Aram was totally replaced by "Suri" in Aramaic (borrowed from Greek for Syria) from the time period of Maccabean revolt (167 BC - ) due to the fact that Suri was more popular than Aram (For Example, 1 Maccabees 11:2). Later, the word Suri evolved into Suriya in Aramaic. In First century Israel, Suriya was the word used in Aramaic Peshitta (Matthew 4:24, Luke 2:2, Acts 15:23, Acts 15:41, etc) for Syria. But never Aram.

But earlier books (Genesis, Exodus, Kings, etc) writes Aram (For Example - 2 Kings 16:5) instead of Syria. This reveals that Peshitta Tanakh was written many years before Maccabean revolt. But Jewish scribes and Pharisees must have continued to add books (2 Maccabees, 3 Maccabees, 4 Maccabees, and Jewish Wars Book Six) to Peshitta Tanakh until first century AD.
Shlama Paul,
I agree with you that it is weird to make translation from translation.
But in Ceriani Hexaplaris manuscript it mentions that Aramaic text is from tradition of LXX.