Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edom or Aram?
Hello Everyone,
I don't know if anyone noticed this. There are strong contradictions between Hebrew Masoretic Text and Peshitta Tanakh in terms of locations (Hebrew Masoretic Text says Aram while Peshitta Tanakh says Edom). But it must be noted that they agree on 1 Kings 11:14 where the name "Hadad" is mentioned. One possibility is that Hebrew Masoretic Text and Septuagint misread Daleth in "Edom" as Resh.

HEBREW MASORETIC TEXT

1 Kings 11:14 (JPS Tanakh translated from Hebrew Masoretic text) - "And the LORD raised up an adversary unto Solomon, Hadad the Edomite; he was of the king?s seed in Edom."

1 Kings 15:18-19 (JPS Tanakh translated from Hebrew Masoretic text) - "Then Asa took all the silver and the gold that were left in the treasures of the house of the LORD, and the treasures of the king?s house, and delivered them into the hand of his servants; and king Asa sent them to Ben-hadad, the son of Tabrimmon, the son of Hezion, king of Aram, that dwelt at Damascus, saying: There is a league between me and thee, between my father and thy father; behold, I have sent unto thee a present of silver and gold; go, break thy league with Baasa king of Israel, that he may depart from me."

1 Kings 20:1 (JPS Tanakh translated from Hebrew Masoretic text) - "And Ben-hadad the king of Aram gathered all his host together; and there were thirty and two kings with him, and horses and chariots; and he went up and besieged Samaria, and fought against it."

1 Kings 20:20-21 (JPS Tanakh translated from Hebrew Masoretic text) - "And they slew every one his man; and the Arameans fled, and Israel pursued them; and Ben-hadad the king of Aram escaped on a horse with horsemen. And the king of Israel went out, and smote the horses and chariots, and slew the Arameans with a great slaughter."

1 Kings 20:26 (JPS Tanakh translated from Hebrew Masoretic text) - "And it came to pass at the return of the year, that Ben-hadad mustered the Arameans, and went up to Aphek, to fight against Israel."

2 Kings 5:1 (JPS Tanakh translated from Hebrew Masoretic Text) - "Naaman, the commander of the Aramean king's army, was respected and highly honored by his master. The LORD had given Aram a victory through Naaman. This man was a good soldier, but he had a skin disease."

2 Kings 6:24 (JPS Tanakh translated from Hebrew Masoretic text) - "And it came to pass after this, that Ben-hadad king of Aram gathered all his host, and went up, and besieged Samaria."

2 Kings 8:7 (JPS Tanakh translated from Hebrew Masoretic text) - "And Elisha came to Damascus; and Ben-hadad the king of Aram was sick; and it was told him, saying.? The man of God is come hither."

2 Kings 8:9 (JPS Tanakh translated from Hebrew Masoretic text) - "So Hazael went to meet him, and took a present with him, even of every good thing of Damascus forty camels?burden, and came and stood before him, and said: ?Thy son Ben-hadad king of Aram hath sent me to thee, saying: Shall I recover of this sickness?"

2 Kings 13:3 (JPS Tanakh translated from Hebrew Masoretic text) - "And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and He delivered them into the hand of Hazael king of Aram, and into the hand of Ben-hadad the son of Hazael, continually."

2 Kings 13:24 (JPS Tanakh translated from Hebrew Masoretic text) - "And Hazael king of Aram died; and Ben-hadad his son reigned in his stead."

2 Chronicles 16:2 (JPS Tanakh translated from Hebrew Masoretic text) - "Then Asa brought out silver and gold out of the treasures of the house of the LORD and of the king?s house, and sent to Ben-hadad king of Aram, that dwelt at aDamascus, saying:"

ARAMAIC PESHITTA TANAKH

I will be using Lamsa translation so that everyone can have easy access to Peshitta Tanakh.

1 Kings 11:14 (Lamsa) - "And the LORD stirred up an adversary against Solomon, Hadad the Edomite; he was of the royal family in Edom."

1 Kings 15:18-19 (Lamsa) - "Then Asa took all the silver and the gold that were left in the treasures of the house of the LORD, and the treasures of the king?s house, and delivered them into the hand of his servants; and Asa king of Judah sent them to Bar-hadad, the son of Tabrimon, the son of Hezion, king of Aram, who dwelt in Damascus, saying, 19 There is a league between me and you and between my father and your father; behold, I have sent to you a present of silver and gold; come and break your league with Baasha king of Israel, that he may withdraw from me."

Note - Ben Hadad is Bar Hadad in Aramaic OT. Instead of Aram in Lamsa's translation, it says Edom in Peshitta Tanakh.

1 Kings 20:1 (Lamsa) - AND Bar-hadad the king of Edom gathered all his army together; and there were thirty-two kings with him, and horses and chariots; and he went up and besieged Samaria and fought against it.

Note - Lamsa correctly translates the verse of Peshitta Tanakh here - Bar Hadad, the king of Edom.

1 Kings 20:20-21 (Lamsa) - And they slew every one his man; and the Arameans fled; and Israel pursued them; and Bar-hadad the king of Aram escaped in chariots with horsemen. And the king of Israel went out and destroyed the horses and chariots, and slew the Arameans with a great slaughter."

Note - Unlike Lamsa translation, it says Edom fled (instead of Arameans fled) and Bar-Hadad the King of Edom (instead of King of Aram).

1 Kings 20:26 (Lamsa) - "And it came to pass at the beginning of the year, that Bar-hadad gave orders to the Arameans, and went up to Aphek to fight against Israel."

Note - Unlike Lamsa translation, Bar-Hadad gave orders to Edom in Aramaic Peshitta Tanakh.

2 Kings 5:1 (Lamsa) - "NOW Naaman, general of the army of the king of Aram, was a great man with his master, and honorable, because by him the LORD had given deliverance to Aram; and Naaman was a valiant man, but he was a leper."

Note - But in Peshitta Tanakh, Edom is used instead of Aram.

In Peshitta Tanakh, 2 Kings 6:24, 2 Kings 8:7, 2 Kings 8:9, 2 Kings 13:3, 2 Kings 13:24, 2 Chronicles 16:2 also show Bar Hadad as the King of Edom instead of King of Aram.

Here is another problem.

2 Corinthians 11:32 - "In Damascus the governor under King Aretas had the city of the Damascenes guarded in order to arrest me."

In Aramaic, the name of the place is Darmsuk. We know that Darmsuk is the same place where Saul fell from the horse when the presence of Yeshua Meshikha came upon him through light (Acts 9).

But the problem is King Aretas was the ruler of Nabateans in Idumea (South to Judea). Not Syria.

Josephus wrote:

"About this time Aretas, the king of Petra, and Herod the Tetrarch had a quarrel on account of the following. Herod the tetrarch had married the daughter of Aretas and had lived with her a great while; but once when he was on his way to Rome he lodged with his half-brother, also named Herod but who had a different mother, the high priest Simon's daughter. There he fell in love with Herodias, this latter Herod's wife, who was the daughter of their brother Aristobulus and the sister of Agrippa the Great.

Aretas also had a quarrel with Herod about their boundaries in the area of Gabalis. So they raised armies on both sides and prepared for war, sending their generals to fight instead of themselves. - Josephus Antiquities of the Jews 18.5.1

First century Geographer Strabo (64 BC -23 AD) writes: "The Idumeans and the lake [of Sirbon] take up the farthest western parts of Judea, next to Casius. The Idumeans are Nabateans: but being cast out thence by a sedition, they joined themselves to the Jews, and embraced their laws." (Strabo's book Geography 16.2.34).

So isn't possible that Darmsuk was a different place and not Damascus? Here is an evidence.

2 Samuel 8:6 (my attempt in translating Peshitta Tanakh) - And David has placed garrison in Edom and in Darmsuq and Idumea was serving to David bringing gifts (or tributes). MarYa saved David wherever he has gone.

But look at how Hebrew Masoretic text translated this verse.

2 Samuel 8:6 (JPS Tanakh translation of Hebrew Masoretic Text) - "Then David put garrisons in Aram of Damascus; and the Arameans became servants to David, and brought presents. And the LORD gave victory to David whithersoever he went."

Aram is mentioned in 2 Kings 16:5 (of Peshitta Tanakh) when Ratsan (Rezin) was the King of Aram while Tiglath Pileser is mentioned as King of Ethur in 2 Kings 16:10 of Peshitta Tanakh.

It looks like Hebrew Masoretic Text is filled with scriptural errors.