Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus walks on water
The original question for the thread that has the discussion of Jesus Walks on Water was concerned with another topic. I find the Story infinitely fascinating. I thought I would list the Story from Mark, Matthew and John separately.

Mark 6: 45 - 51 (Murdock):

45 And he immediately constrained his disciples to take ship, and go before him to the other side, to Bethsaida, while he dismissed the multitudes.
46 And when he had dismissed them, he went to a mountain to pray.
47 And when evening came, the ship was in the middle of the sea, and he alone on the land.
48 And he saw them straining themselves in rowing; for the wind was against them. And in the fourth watch of the night, Jesus came to them walking on the waters; and he was disposed to pass by them.
49 And they saw him walking on the waters, and they supposed that the appearance was a spectre: and they cried out.
50 For they all saw him, and were afraid. And immediately he spoke with them, and said to them: Take courage; it is I; fear not.
51 And he entered into the ship to them; and the wind ceased. And they were greatly amazed, and astonished among themselves.

Matthew 14: 22 - 34 (Murdock):

22 And immediately he constrained his disciples to embark in a ship, and to go before him to the other side, while he sent away the multitudes.
23 And when he had sent the multitudes away, he ascended a mountain alone to pray. And when it was dark, he was there alone.
24 And the ship was distant from land many furlongs: meanwhile it was much tossed by the waves; for the wind was adverse to it.
25 And in the fourth watch of the night, Jesus came up to them, walking upon the waters.
26 And his disciples saw him as he walked upon the waters, and they were perturbated: and they said, What we see is a spectre: and they cried out through fear.
27 But Jesus immediately spoke to them, and said: Have courage: it is I; be not afraid.
28 Cephas replied, and said to him: My Lord, if it be thou, bid me come to thee on the waters.
29 And Jesus said to him, Come. And Cephas descended from the ship, and walked upon the waters to go to Jesus.
30 But when he saw the wind to be violent, he was afraid, and began to sink. And he raised his voice, and said : My Lord, rescue me.
31 And immediately our Lord reached forth his hand, and caught him, and said to him: O small in faith, why didst thou distrust!
32 And as they entered the ship, the wind subsided.
33 And they that were in the ship, came and worshipped him, and said: Truly thou art the Son of God !
34 And they rowed on, and came to the land of Gennesaret.

John 6: 15 - 25 (Murdock):

15 And Jesus knew, that they were about to come and take him by force, and make him king: and he retired into a mountain alone.
16 And when it was evening, his disciples went down to the sea,
17 and sat in a ship, and were going over to Capernaum. And darkness came on, and Jesus had not come to them.
18 And the sea was boisterous against them, for a violent wind was blowing.
19 And they had gone about five and twenty or thirty furlongs, when they saw Jesus walking upon the sea: and as he drew near to the ship, they were afraid.
20 But Jesus said to them: It is I; be not afraid.
21 And they were glad to receive him into the ship. And, directly, the ship was at the land to which they were going.
22 And the next day, the multitude, who had remained on the other side of the sea, saw that there was no other ship there, except that in which the disciples embarked, and that Jesus did not embark in that ship with his disciples;
23 yet that other ships had come from Tiberias, near to the place where they ate the bread when Jesus blessed [it].
24 And when the multitude saw, that Jesus was not there, nor his disciples; they embarked in ships, and came to Capernaum, and sought for Jesus.
25 And when they found him on the other side of the sea, they said to him: Our Rabbi, when camest thou hither?