Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God and His Chariots in Old Testament
Hello Everyone,
I thought I should share the references to God and his chariots in Old Testament. As you all know, the name of God is I AM (ENA NA in Aramaic).

God is also known as Lord of Hosts or Lord of armies. God is called Lord of Hosts (MarYA Tsebwath in Aramaic) more than 200 times in Old Testament. There are several verses in Old Testament where God is mentioned as riding on the clouds with his chariots.

Here are references to God riding on the clouds with his chariots. I use Bauscher's translation for Psalms 68:17 and Psalms 104:3, because these verses have errors in Hebrew Masoretic text.

Jeremiah 4:13 (KJV) ? "Behold, he shall come up as clouds, and his chariots shall be as a whirlwind: his horses are swifter than eagles. Woe unto us! for we are spoiled."

Isaiah 66:15 (KJV) ? "For, behold, the Lord will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire."

2 Kings 2:11-12 (KJV) - And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.

2 Kings 6:17 (KJV) - And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

Psalms 68:17 (Bauscher's translation) - God rides in 10 thousands and thousands of hosts, Lord Jehovah among
them of Sinai in his Holiness.

Note - Bauscher translates MarYA as "Lord Jehovah."

2 Kings 13:14 (KJV) - Now Elisha was fallen sick of his sickness whereof he died. And Joash the king of Israel came down unto him, and wept over his face, and said, O my father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof.

Zachariah 6:1-6 (KJV) - "And I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and, behold, there came four chariots out from between two mountains; and the mountains were mountains of brass. In the first chariot were red horses; and in the second chariot black horses; And in the third chariot white horses; and in the fourth chariot grisled and bay horses. Then I answered and said unto the angel that talked with me, What are these, my lord? And the angel answered and said unto me, These are the four spirits of the heavens, which go forth from standing before the Lord of all the earth. The black horses which are therein go forth into the north country; and the white go forth after them; and the grisled go forth toward the south country."

Habbakuk 3:8 (KJV) - "Was the LORD displeased against the rivers? was your anger against the rivers? was your wrath against the sea, that you did ride upon your horses and your chariots of salvation?"

1 Chronicles 28:18 (KJV) - "And for the altar of incense refined gold by weight; and gold for the plan of the chariot of the cherubim, that spread out their wings, and covered the ark of the covenant of the LORD."

Psalms 18:10 (KJV) - "And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind."

2 Samuel 22:11 (KJV) - "And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: and he was seen upon the wings of the wind."

Psalms 104:3 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English - Bauscher's translation) - "He makes his lofty dwellings in the waters and sets his chariot above the clouds and walks upon the wings of the wind."

Isaiah 19:1 (KJV) - "The burden concerning Egypt. Behold, the LORD rides upon a swift cloud, and shall come into Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall tremble at his presence, and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it."

Deuteronomy 33:26 (KJV) - "There is none like unto the God of Jeshurun, who rides upon the heaven to your help, and in his excellency on the clouds."

The appearance of God's chariot (chariot of the cherubims) is mentioned in Ezekiel Chapter 1 and Ezekiel Chapter 10. Bar Sirach mentions that what Prophet Ezekiel saw was the chariot of the cherubim.

Sirach 49:8 - It was Ezekiel who saw the glorious vision, which was shewed him upon the chariot of the cherubims.

It is also interesting to note that Chariots and troops of soldiers in their armor were seen running on the clouds right before the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD(Josephus' Jewish wars Book Six).