Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question concerning the STRENGTH of grammer in John-Peshitta
In the King James Bible (English) there are at least three occasions in John's Gospel (see John 3:36, John 5:24 and John 6:47) where the Apostle John uses clear and strong words in grammer to enforce the Promise of Eternal Life to those who believe in Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ. I will type them using the King James Version:

John 3:36, "He that believes on the Son HAS [presently and now] Everlasting LIfe. . ."

John 5:24, "Verily, Verily, I say unto you, 'he that hears my word, and believes on Him that sent me HAS [presently and now] Everlasting Life' . . ."

and in John 6:47, "Verily, Verily, I say unto you, 'he that believes on me HAS [presently and now] Everlasting Life' . . . '

The words in brackets [ ] were added by me for emphasis to bring across the impact from the Greek into English. I think the English here is a faithful rendering of the Greek wording and grammer.

Now I ask you folks if the wording and grammer IN THE ARAMAIC brings across NEARLY THE EXACT SAME IMPACT OF MEANING?? That is it in a nutshell. I did go to the Dukhrana site and did not see any specific grammer breakdown for "HAS" in these verses. I am just wanting to know if the IMPACT OF THE GRAMMER in Aramaic comes across just as strong and clear AS in the Greek. These are very powerful words in the Greek version. Does the Aramaic have the same strength and power to the point it can also be rendered (into English) - "He that believes on the Son HAS [presently and now] Everlasting Life. . ." (John 3:36, my paraphrase). . . for ALL three verses that I referenced. Can the Aramaic hit a home run here?

Kindly,

Mike Karoules
John 3:36 - He who believeth in the Son hath the life which is eternal; and he who obeyeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of Aloha remaineth on him.
John 3:36 - He that believeth on the Son, hath life eternal; but he who obeyeth not the Son, shall not see life. but the wrath of God will abide upon him.
John 3:36 - He who believes in the Son has eternal life; and he who does not obey the Son, shall not see life, but the wrath of God shall remain on him.

The above are 3 different versions translated from Aramaic.
Personally I translate it as word for word as
'he who believes in son are him lives of eternity..."
In Aramaic is used usually 'lives' not 'life'.
I asked this because the Greek, for these verses in John's Gospel, leaves a pretty strong impression to the reader with the "PRESENT-INDICATIVE." It lays pretty solid and clear emphasis to Jesus' words about the salvation he has to offer. Now, does the Aramaic do the same or is the grammer or tense of the words (in Aramaic) not as emphatic? Anyone else willing to chime in, please? Chuck, Jeremy, Distazo, Paul, Ivan (again, if you are at liberty) or anyone else?

Kindly,

Mike
:

Hi Mike,

I read them in the Aramaic this way, literally...

"Whoever believes (trusts) in The Son, there exists for them lives that are forever...." John 3:36

"...there exists for them lives that are forever..." John 5:24

"...there exists for them lives that are forever." John 6:47