Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would Paul write to greek communities in Aramaic?
Thank you Steve for responding. What you said would make sense to me seeing that the disciples were instructed to make disciples of all nations beginning in Jerusalem, the Judea, then Samaria (which I'm thinking was the Syrians wherein dwelt the 10 tribes who had long ago been taken captive and to whom James writes, along with the Jews). Ok, so you are saying when Paul was a missionary tot he Gentiles it was to Syrian/Aramaic Gentiles of the diaspora? They would not have been of the Uncircumcision though and Paul calls himself the Apostle to the uncircumcised. If not, then he was a missionary to the Gentiles and the communities to which he wrote were Greek communities. That would lead me to think that those letters would have been written in Greek, though, most certainly, given your being chosen by God, these letters would have been delivered also to you/Syria/Samaria with apostolic authority in your Aramaic language. That would make your text reliable, especially given the meticulousness that you copied it with. I simply cannot see that Paul would write a letter to Corinth in Aramaic and then have it translated into Greek for them so it could be sent to you in Aramaic.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Would Paul write to greek communities in Aramaic? - by Sarah - 03-26-2013, 08:12 PM