Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John 14:18,19, yet in a little while what?
I just noticed that this phrase 'yet in a little while' is attached to verse 18 in Peshitta and verse 19 in Greek.
I would opt for the Peshitta's form because it's a simpler reading; but behold the great difference it makes based upon where the punctuation lies.
Peshitta reads, "I will come for you soon. And the world will not see me."
Greek reads, "I will come for you. Soon and the world will see me no more."
Though there is more to it than a simple floating period, as the Greek reads 'no more.'
Regarding the Aramaic phrase "qaliyl -ch:diyn", its literal meaning seems to be "little other", which maybe is how we would say "little more" in English. The phrase "qaliyl -ch:diyn" is used three times, John 12:35, 13:33, and 14:18.

If my conjecture is applicable, then John 12:35 would be saying, "Little more the-time the-light with-you it-be."

On John 14:18-19, I was thinking Yeshua might be referring to his visits that came after the resurrection, "... coming I-am thus unto-you little more; 19 and-the-world not seeing to-me, but yourselves, ye-to-see-me ..."

It is explained more fully in John 16:16.
The Greek reads in cognate to the Aramaic for this phrase, eti micron is rendered 'yet a little while' (literally 'yet a little').
Though there is possible support in John 16:16 for the Greek reading in John 14:18,19, I still think verse 18 provides a possible support for the Peshitta reading.
There is a tie between verse 18 and verse 16 in that the sending of the comforter is related to not leaving them bereft/orphan.

As far as your reading of John 12:35, are you attesting to an alternate rendering than the common? It's somewhat hard to tell with your cryptic rendering.
Aaron S Wrote:As far as your reading of John 12:35, are you attesting to an alternate rendering than the common? It's somewhat hard to tell with your cryptic rendering.
The common translations are fine.

I was mostly intrigued by (qaliyl -ch:riyn), "little other", used only three times, all by Yeshua. It is possible that Yeshua intended it to be a bit cryptic. In John 16:19 for example, the disciples themselves are asking, "What-this be such-this 'little', of-said-he? Not knowing-we-are what-this so-speaking-he-is."
Qalil was apparently in common usage... Though you are correct about qalil aharin. They understood perfectly his usage of qalil when he spake it in John 16:16.
Though this is a sure thing: I cannot find any other instances of qalil aharin. As you have said, it might be best rendered, 'a little more,' or perhaps, 'another little [bit of time]' (that is 'another' beyond the contemporary 'littles' that have passed up to that point).
It seems as though the "other" in "little other", or "little other the-time", could be a reference to a time "other" than the time of his physical appearance. Most likely his appearances after the resurrection, the short time when he made various appearances to the disciples and the women at the site of the tomb, etc.

It seems highly probably that this was the time being discussed in John 16:16-22. A time when pain and sorrow (the time of the coming crucifixion), is turned to joy (when he appears after the crucifixion).