Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
icons?
I hope this is the right place to ask this.

Does the Church of the East use icons? Do you venerate them? Is it necessary to venerate them?

I was converting to Eastern Orthodoxy, but the issue of icons became something I could not "buy" into any more. They believe because Christ was incarnated that it is absolutely necessary to venerate icons and that to not do so is an affront to the incarnation of Christ. Their church fathers argued that because veneration was paid to images of Emperors, to not pay like veneration to images of Christ is an affront and that those who speak out against it will not be acquitted. Instead of relying on the commandment of Christ they used human reasoning to invent practices and require everyone to do them.

I went along with it for years because I really believed they were the true church and their claims of authority were true, but every time I venerated an icon I felt convicted by God and realised I needed to make a choice and stop. No offence intended if you also venerate icons.

(And if there any Eastern Orthodox who feel I "misunderstand" I don't want to hear it, I am done with you.)
Hi Astalon.

The Church of the East does not use icons or statues in their churches. There are typically four plain walls in a CoE parish. The only image allowed is a simple Cross (no Crucifix).