Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luke 10:18
I have been hearing that if Jesus spoke Aramaic, that his listeners would have heard him say: "Barack Obama" when jesus said the "lightening from heaven" part of Luke 10:18.

Can someone please tell me if "lightening from heaven" spoken in Luke 10:18 in Aramaic sounds anything like "Barack Obama"... and if not... could you please tell me how Luke 10:18 sounds in Aramaic when speaking of the phrase: "lightening from heaven".

Thank you ahead of time, I look forward to learning how this sounds in Aramaic... specifically the original Aramaic in Luke 10:18
Shlama and welcome to the forums genera,
Lightning from heaven is [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0ym4 Nm 0qrb[/font] (barqa men shmaya)
Even if it did sound like Barack Obama, it would be purely circumstantial.
Translating everthing it would be "a flash from the heavens" or maybe "a lightning from the heavens".
Translating everything except the root of the word for "lightning", it would be "a b:raq from the heavens".
Transliterating everything, it would be as stated in the previous post, "bar:qah men sh:ma:yah".

There is nothing in Luke 10:18 that resembles "Obama".
Hello Aaron and Jerry,

Thank you for your replies.

Your brother in Christ,
Jay
Shlama,

and just to dispel any further considerations, it doesn't work in Hebrew, either. the video i watched a while back presented the idea that it was Aramaic, but was using Hebrew grammatical features, and even then, was wrangling them beyond their actual usage to come up with a stretch. the letter VAV never takes on the sound of an "O" at the beginning of a word -- that alone destroys the argument even if the words had been present. and i was under the impression that the Aramaic cognate of Barack would be "blessing," not "lightning," being of the BRK root and not the BRQ (lightning) root. then BAMAH as "heaven" also seems a stretch....

we can disagree with the actions / goals of the President, but don't need to resort to twisting Scripture to prove our political convictions.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy