Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church of the East position on non-canonical Books
Hey,

Thanks for your replies. Ahhhhhhhhh, still a little confused. From what I am reading the CoE has really no opinion of these books one way or another (W-5, Clement, Polycarp, Ignatius, Ireneaus, maybe handful of others outside the New Testament canon) ??

(1) Am I correct on this??

Further, the CoE has not come to a clear conclusion of these EXTRA CANONICAL books and, (not trying to be rude here) does not seem to really care one way or the other about these. In other words , from what you are telling me -

(2)they are nuetral about this??

I say this because from this discussion I have not come to a clear conclusion from your answers.

What the CoE does assert for sure is that the 22 book NT Aramaic Peshiita is for sure of Aramaic origins. There is no dispute about this within the CoE. Yes, on this??

(3)And, as for the rest, they seem indifferent as to what the original language these were written in?? Am I close??

I just thought that there was some clear and solid consensus within the CoE as to the original language of the books outside of the 22 book Peshitta.

BTW, there seems to me a contradiction. Paul, if I am understanding you correctly there was never an official council or "meeting" as to the final list of the 22 book Peshitta. IOW, you can't point to a specific date and time (like the Western tradition does - you know, the council of Carthage in 397 closed the NT canon in the West) that the CoE made an announcement that proclaimed the decision that the 22 book New Testament is decided and closed. Yet, Christiana said that the CoE closed its canon out right before the turn of the 2nd century (before 200 A.D ??). You are saying that this decision of the CoE's canon was gradual and eventually clearly accepted w/o any council or meeting of important bishops??

Thank you for your time.

Trying not to get too complicated.

Kindly,

Mike

Messages In This Thread
Re: Church of the East position on non-canonical Books - by Mike Kar - 05-06-2009, 06:38 PM