Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herodia

That is very interesting:

Would this be true of this passage as well then?

The Byzantine- Majority Greek text in English reads,

Esposito: John 7:8 ???You go up to this feast. I am not yet going up to this feast, because My time has not yet been fulfilled." When He had said these things to them, He remained in Galilee. But when His brothers had gone up, then also He Himself went up to the feast, not openly, but in private.???

The Alexandrian- Minority Greek text in English reads,
NASB95: John 7:8 "Go up to the feast yourselves; I do not go up to this feast because My time has not yet fully come. Having said these things to them, He stayed in Galilee. But when His brothers had gone up to the feast, then He Himself also went up, not publicly, but as if, in secret.???

Bauscher: John 7:8 ???You go up to this feast; I am not going up to this feast, because my time in not yet finished. He said these things as he remained in Galilee. But when his brothers went up to the feast, then he also went up, not openly, but as secretly.???

Younan: John 7:8 ???You go up to this feast. I will not go up to this feast now because my time is not yet finished. He said these things, and he remained in Galeela. But when his brothers went up to the feast, then even he went up, not openly but as in secret.

I note that Mr. Younan's translation is like those of Lamsa, Murdock, Ethreridge.... but Mr. Bauscher's is not, but rather lines up with the Alexandrian Minority Greek Text here.

As with the other passage above, I am wondering if there is a variant in the Peshitta text used by Paul Younan & David Bauscher, if they have used the same text...

Has Mr. Bauscher got it wrong here in translation, or is there a Peshitta text that has this reading he has in this passage?

What I have been looking at is the relationship of the Greek text types with the Aramaic texts to see, when the Greek shows a variant that makes a contradiction/error in the passage, if the Peshitta also has this, or rather corrects it by its reading.

Since it is believed that The Peshitta has the earlier and true to the original reading, then I want to see which text type in the Greek is the more accurate in these two places. And since Mr. Bauscher says that the Text he used to translate his English NT is a completly faithful copy of the Original Aramaic Text and in his belief therefore error free, I am wondering if it is in the text he used at all, or is it just in his translation that this reading exists...if not, does he borrow these readings from the Greek text?

And my reason for bringing this out here is not to belittle Mr. Bauscher or his translation, but to know if these contradictions/errors in the Greek Minority texts are at all present in the Aramaic text/texts.

Messages In This Thread
Herodia - by Thirdwoe - 01-05-2009, 03:28 AM
Re: Herodia - by abudar2000 - 01-05-2009, 03:43 AM
Re: Herodia - by Thirdwoe - 01-05-2009, 04:24 AM
Re: Herodia - by abudar2000 - 01-05-2009, 05:00 AM
Re: Herodia - by Thirdwoe - 01-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Re: Herodia - by abudar2000 - 01-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Re: Herodia - by Thirdwoe - 01-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Re: Herodia - by yaaqubyl - 01-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Re: Herodia - by abudar2000 - 01-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Re: Herodia - by Thirdwoe - 01-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Re: Herodia - by yaaqubyl - 01-06-2009, 04:38 PM