Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mar Eshai Shimun Speaks (UPDATE Jan.26, 2008)
"In 1967 a bold move was made by the then Patriarch, Mar Shimun. He decided to receive into the Church a parish of non-Assyrian Americans, and to allow them to evangelize on behalf of the Church among the general population. This was bold in that for over 400 years the Church had remained protectively inward, doing no evangelization, but fighting hard just to keep alive and intact. The idea of beginning again the work of expansion beyond the traditional Church population of Assyrians (the only major nationality group left in the Church) was Mar Shimun's personal dream and goal.

Under the leadership of Fr. Michael McCoy, a parish (St. Thomas the Apostle Parish) was formed in Seattle, Washington. Clergy were ordained for the parish by Mar Shimun himself, and a missionary priest, Fr. Charles Klutz, was also ordained to establish a second non-Assyrian parish. Mr. Samuel Swanson, a layman at St. Thomas the Apostle parish, became the advisor and mature support for the fledgling work.

In 1975 Mar Shimun established two dioceses in Italy among the populations of the Island of Sardinia and northeast Italy. Mar Giovanni Basciu was consecrated bishop for Sardinia, and Mar Claudio Vettorazzo was consecrated for the Diocese of Aquileia.

In 1978 a parish of non-Assyrians was established at Sacramento, California, and Fr. Mark Brown was given authority by Mar Aprim Khamis (now bishop of the United States) to organize a work there to be known as St. Barnabas Parish."

Quoted from the booklet "Who Are We?".

QUESTION: Weren't ALL of these COE Churches 'St.Thomas the Apostle', in Seattle,WA.

And 'St. Barnabas COE' in Sacramento, CA., and posibily an Assyrian COE in San Jose, ALL involved with trying to implement, the infamous, 'Plan G'??

I just thought how sad, that ALL of the Churches that Mar Eshai Shimun had a large role in starting, would try to subvert Church of the East theology in place of some Roman Catholic secret plan to conqueror, and swallow-up, the tiny Assyrian Church of the East!

Mar Eshai Shimun was murdered while living in San Jose, California at the front door of his home, by an Iraqi hitman sent to America by Saddam Hussein, on November the 6th, 1975.

There was a ruse built around Mar Eshai Shimun's murder, that he was killed because he was the first Patriarch/Catholicos that had married, and/or that he would not stand up for a homeland for the Assyrian people.

I personally believe that this was solely a political 'hit' done by Saddam Hussein to keep Mar Eshai Shimun from returning to Baghdad as Catholicos/Patriarch of the Assyrian Church of the East.

Up until this time, the 'office' of Patriarch/Catholicos stayed within the family of Mar Eshai Shimun......after his murder, the 'office' moved outside of his family structure.

I wonder what has happened to these Churches that Mar Eshai Shimun had the spiritual vision to begin. Do they all still exist in the world of 2008?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar_Eshai_Shimun_XXIII">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar_Eshai_Shimun_XXIII</a><!-- m -->

Shlama, Albion
Hi Akhi,

Well, you know Qasha Klutz is still around. Qasha Mark Brown heads a Church in the L.A. area, I believe.

Unfortunately, Grekoff and Birnie appear to have been swayed by the ex-bishop and author of Plan G, so they are no longer in the CoE.

BTW - have you seen this website?

http://marshimun.com/index.shtml
Shlama AKhi Albion,

I wonder...Saddam Hussein did not become dictator of Iraq until 1979. In 1975 he was a kind of enforcer/assassin for his uncle, who was running the country. Saddam then took over and killed 200 or so of the previous government's loyalists. He actually "rewarded" people he did not accuse with the "honor" of killing his rivals, and such was caught on film.

So, I don't think Saddam was doing international asssasinations in 1975. If he was, he was not the dictator of Iraq. Either that, or the date of the assassination is incorrect?

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth
Hello Akhi,

I just moved to Seattle from Detroit. I have read your posting below on what Mar Eshai Shimun had established and quite curious where are the churches now? Prior to moving to Washington, I was told I would find assyrians living in Seattle and there would be a church there. To now, I have only met one assyrian family (while shopping at IKEA) and have not seen one church. Even though my stay in Washington will be probably be short, but I would still like to know what had has developed here in the past years and what happened to Mar Eshai Shimun's dreams and goal? Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Dr. Dani David, PE
I spoke with a few people at the Mar Yosip Parish in San Jose, and they were talking about a group up in Washington state...not sure where they are...but I can look.