Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
found / burned motifs both work?!?!?
Shlama akhay,

The 1905 Syriac NT follows Gwynn's Critical edition of the General Epistles , which collates at least seven mss. In 2 Peter 3:10 it reads [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]xkt$t[/font] "found, discovered".

This is probably the correct reading; remember that The Peshitta does not contain 2 Peter, so we are dealing with the difference between the Harklean Version from Greek (used in the Red Book) and the Syriac mss.

I believe this verse has been misconstrued and misconstructed into a doctrine by itself with little or no support from other scripture. The only thing which undergoes destruction here is [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]0skw+s0[/font][font=Estrangelo (V1.1)] Nydqy[/font] "elements, first principles", are"consumed, burned". The heavens [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Nyrb9[/font] "cross over" or "pass on"; The "first principles being consumed will be dissolved". The translations are plainly incorrect to have "the earth and its works will not be found." It says plainly they will be found ! We cannot make a positive a negative.

If "Estoksa" is "first principles" (Greek "stoixeia" can also have this meaning) -See Smith's Compendious Dictionary for the Aramaic definition, then we are not necessarily talking about a physical destruction of the universe, but a radical moral and spiritual transformation which consumes the "principles of this world system" .

"Estoksa" is found six times in The NT : Twice in Galatians 4 and twice in Colossians 2 and twice in 2 Peter 3.
In Galatians and Colossians, it refers to doctrines and philosophy or principles, never to chemical or physical elements.

The text says that the earth will remain after this "conflagration" , so I must take "Estoksa" to mean the "philosophies , principles and teachings" of the world system will be destroyed and the world will be purged of evil. Colossians 4:21 seems to list some of these principles referred to in v. 20. "Touch not, taste not, handle not".

Besides, the Old Testament says "One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh, but The earth abides forever" -Ecclesiastes 1:4.

The new heaven and new earth are the result of spiritual regeneration, not physical destruction and re-creation.

By the way, [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Nwrt$n [/font] , used in v. 10 and v.12 , can mean "set free".
Also in v. 12 , the word "Bakhar" , root for "Mithbakhrayn" is used : "Shemaya kad Mithbakhrayn b'nora" - " Heaven will be tested by fire". Heaven will not be destroyed; it will be tested ! How would melting and dissolving the physical universe be a test or trial of it ?

God tests people, not atoms.

Tibotha w 'Burktha,

Dave
Get my NT translations, books & articles at :
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://aramaicnt.com">http://aramaicnt.com</a><!-- m --> and Lulu.com
I also have articles at BibleCodeDigest.com

Messages In This Thread
Elements melt and earth remains ! - by gbausc - 05-03-2005, 02:35 PM