Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think Matthew 18:3 originally said:
"certainly won't enter"?
"won't enter"?
"kingdom of the heavens"?
"kingdom of Heaven," i.e. 'kingdom of God'?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "won't enter," and have "kingdom of heaven" which probably means 'kingdom of God.'

Matthew 18:3 - and said, "Truly I say to you, if you do not repent and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
do not enter - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'certainly don't enter'.

Diatessaron 25:10
And Jesus knew the thought of their heart, and called a child, and set him in the midst, and took him in his arms, and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye do not return, and become as children, ye shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 18:3
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/18-3.htm
and said
Amēn/Ἀμὴν/Truly
legō/λέγω/ I say
to you if not
straphēte/ στραφῆτε/ you turn
and become as the little children
3756 [e]/ ou/ οὐ/ no
3361 [e]/mē/ μὴ/ not
shall you enter into the kingdom of the heavens

3756. ou, ouk, ouch
https://biblehub.com/greek/3756.htm
ou, ouk, ouch: not, no
Original Word: οὐ
Part of Speech: Particle, Negative
Transliteration: ou, ouk, ouch
Phonetic Spelling: (oo)
Definition: not, no
Usage: no, not.
3. followed by another negative,
a. it strengthens the negation: οὐ κρίνω οὐδένα, John 8:15; add, Mark 5:37; 2 Corinthians 11:9 (8); οὗ οὐκ ἦν οὐδέπω οὐδείς κείμενος, Luke 23:53 (see οὐδέπω); οὐκ ... οὐδέν, nothing at all, Luke 4:2; John 6:63; John 11:49; John 12:19; John 15:5; οὐ μέλει σοι περί οὐδενός, Matthew 22:16; οὐκ ... οὐκέτι, Acts 8:39; cf. Matthiae, § 609, 3; Kühner, ii. § 516; Winers Grammar, § 55, 9{b}; (Buttmann, § 148, 11).
5. It is joined to other particles: οὐ μή, not at all, by no means, surely not, in no wise, see μή, IV.; οὐ μηκέτι with aorist subjunctive Matthew 21:19 L T Tr marginal reading WH. μή οὐ, where μή is interrogative (Latinnum) and οὐ negative (cf. Buttmann, 248 (214), 354 (304); Winer's Grammar, 511 (476)): Romans 10:18; 1 Corinthians 9:4; 1 Corinthians 11:22. εἰ οὐ, see εἰ, III. 11, p. 172a. οὐ γάρ (see γάρ, I., p. 109b), Acts 16:37.

=========================================
Do you think Luke 13:23-24 originally said:
"Jesus answered and said to them"?
"he said to them"?

What's your explanation for some Greek mss. having πύλη/'gate,' while other Greek mss. have θυρας/'door'?
I envision a translation done from the original Aramaic into Greek coming up with say πύλη/'gate,' and then a revisor later coming along and tweaking the translation by substituting θυρας/'door.'

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Jesus answered and said to them."

Luke 13:23-24 - Someone asked Him if few would be saved. Jesus answered and said to them:
"Struggle to enter through the narrow gate, for I tell you that many will try to enter, but they will not be able to.
Jesus answered and said to them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "He said to them." Although the question is asked by 'someone', Jesus answers to 'them' (plural). The question was undoubtedly the question of superiors.
gate - the word in Aramaic Peshitta can mean both 'gate' and 'door'. In the reading of the Greek MHT and TR, the Greek word πύλη stands for 'gate' (<G4439>), while in the reading of the Greek NA28 we find the word θυρας (<G2374>), which means 'door'.

Diatessaron 31:7-8
And a man asked him, Are those that shall be saved few? Jesus answered and said unto them, Strive ye to enter at the narrow door: I say unto you now, that many shall seek to enter, and shall not be able--

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-30-2020, 05:59 PM