Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
"I don't doubt that the copying of the Bible has been corrupted"  
Yes, there has been some (minor) corruption.

"But how can I know for sure that what the gospels written down are 100% what Jesus said exactly"
They're not.  E.g. the Lord's Prayer in Matthew in Aramaic rhymes extremely well, while Luke's version rhymes less perfectly-- Luke lacks "100% what Jesus said exactly" when compared with Matthew's rendition.

"Like when he said to the paralyzed person your sins are forgiven. Or, I and the father are one.  He who has seen me has seen the father, and all those Godly Claims while he was alive.  How can I be sure the authors wrote down exactly what Jesus said and did not exaggerate them since I don't have any other sources outside the Bible to compare them to"

Luke was a careful historian.  I'm not aware of anyone claiming Luke was prone to exaggerating things.

The NT was originally in Aramaic, not Greek.  Tatian compiled his Diatesseron from the Aramaic 4 Gospels, and he died in A.D. 175.  It was later translated into Arabic, which we have to this day.  You can consult a) the Diatesseron and b) the Assyrian Church of the East's Aramaic Peshitta of the NT (they say they got the NT books directly from its authors), and compare what's there with the multiplicity of variant Greek readings to see what the original readings were.
Aramaic Peshitta New Testament, Often Bolstered by the Diatesseron, Adjudicating Between Conflicting Greek Manuscripts 
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/aus.reli...-uGFZ9CjwJ

Many of Jesus' original students went to their violent deaths believing and proclaiming that he'd died and rose again.  Many people (e.g., Muslim suicide bombers) die for ideas they erroneously consider true.  But nobody willingly undergoes premature death on behalf of a lie they know to be a lie.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-25-2019, 02:31 AM