Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AENT Hebrews 3:18-19: Obey vs. belief
AENT Hebrews 3:8-9: "and of whom swore he, that they should not enter into his rest, but of those who did not BELIEVE? So we see that they could not enter, because they did not OBEY.

I've noticed that every other Greek-English translation from my E-Sword program (ASV, BBE, CEV, DRB, ESV, GNB, KJV, LITV, and even "The Scriptures") swap BELIEVE and OBEY around, for example:

American Standard Version (ASV): "And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that were DISOBEDIENT? And we see that they were not able to enter in because of UNBELIEF." (CAPS mine)

I'm wondering if anybody has any other Aramaic or manuscript insight on the order of these two words in the passage because this seems like it could have implications on "Salvation Theology"--that is because it relates the importance of BELIEF (faith, like Abraham's in Genesis 3:16) with OBEDIENCE (works, which validate 'faith' (James 2:12-24)).

But I found it interesting that all these other "Greek-based" translations have the words reversed from the AENT.

Shlama,
Thomas

Messages In This Thread
AENT Hebrews 3:18-19: Obey vs. belief - by Thomas - 10-05-2011, 04:22 AM