Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Thus says the LORD" in the Apocrypha
Concerning the intertestamental apocrypha, the most simplest and strongest of arguments is that neither Jesus nor the NT writers ever quote from them (but from all other OT books). That they are not canon does not mean they do not contain truth. Whether or not they do is up for discussion. i think even in the OT there are false prophets abusing God's name, so i wouldn't use that as an indication.

if you want God's word beyond the 66 Books, i personally believe prayer is one of the best ways to go. But, of course, you may as well find anointed and inspired truth anywhere esle, even in modern books. i think the canon is more about the framework in which we can grow in truth rather than the full mesure of truth. Theproblem is, that humans usually grow wrong (even if just a little) in that framework, and end up with less than all truth.

Concerning NT apocrpha, it really pays to know the history of the texts. Some of them were written with very bad intentions, especially gnostic writings. Interesting:
http://www.ntcanon.org/table.shtml

Always remember adding to the word is just as bad as taking away from the word, and without a divine, universal and certain guidline, we have to consider that we have either (too much or too little).

Messages In This Thread
Re: "Thus says the LORD" in the Apocrypha - by Andrej - 06-10-2011, 08:08 PM