Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gift or Gifts in Acts 2:33 and Acts 11:17
Abudar,

I think I see what you are saying. I didn't pose my question quite accurately. When one scrolls down book and chapter from the first page (after clicking Peshitta on Dukhrana) he can go to a specific verse and then click the verse as we said before. The page here then gives us the option of going down to a specific word to get an accurate breakdown of the word: Again, No. 5249 ion Acts 2:33(This, these - as it is written in Dukhrana) Here, a precise and specific definition of the word is not given and niether is it when the number in blue(5249 - in this case) is clicked. But the grammatical breakdown of the word will tell us this word is Fem. singular (this) and not "these." So, at this point this helps us zoom in a little more pertaining to further clarity of the word, no/yes??

Also, additional breakdown of the word is given like "Perfect PEAL" OR "Active Participle - PEAL, or Imperfect PAEL and so on. BTW, I have no idea what these are (PEAL, or PAEL, or PAEIL.) Feel free to give me an idea if you wish but you don't have to. There is another option all the way to the right where it states "See the verses," something like that. Now, one can dig still a little deeper by seeing this very exact word (in its exact form) how it is used in other passages. So, in this case looking at 5249 one can see that for "this" as in "this stone" (Singualr) is a Fem. Singualr word. IOW, by doing further research of this word, or any word in Dukhrana for that matter, there are tools/ options that help us dig a little deeper to see how this word is used elsewhere. The same word that takes on a different form is spelled differently depending what is the first charater of the word. So, Terms like "with the tool," or "to the tool" and "of the tool" all would have the same root word but are spelled differently because of the first character used in this word.

If no one know much of anything about Aramaic and wanted to look up the word for "tool" and found only the verse that said "to the tool" and then went to all the verses that included this exact word he would not get a clear picture because he might think that all the verses that contain "tool" would be in the "to the tool" category.

For one to get a better idea of the definition of a precise word he/she can go to the lexicon in Dukhrana and ll the way to the right is an option for "word number." From there he can scroll down to where it says "inflections" and see how a given word (with the same root word or same stem) is used in all its forms and further, for each form or each "inflection" he can go to "see the verses" yet again and see all the verses for the word "of the tool" and then go back and see all the verses for the word "of the tool", then again he can go back and see all the verses for the word "to the tool." Now he should be getting a much BIGGER and ACCURATE picture of this word if he goes to all or most of the verses for each form.

I guess what I am trying to say is how deep is one willing to dig. I am losing my focus here a bit so I will close at that. But do you think we are on the same page now; that the options at Dukhrana gives us the tools to get down to the nitty-gritty and clear definition of any given word??? The tools are there. We just have to use them.

Sincerely, Graciously,

Mike

Messages In This Thread
Re: Gift or Gifts in Acts 2:33 and Acts 11:17 - by Mike Kar - 10-10-2008, 03:47 PM