Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Messianic or Jewish Translations of The New Covenant
I know that this list is devoted to Aramaic Primacy of the New Covenant, but I thought that it would be interesting to see a list of Messianic or Jewish translations of the New Covenant.

The earliest New Testament translation by a Jewish person that I know about is:

'The Good News According to Matthew', first translated by Henry Einspruch, in 1939, by Lederer Publications, in Baltimore, Maryland.

The next one was:

'The Authentic New Testament', translated by Hugh Schonfield, published by Duckworth Press in 1953, in London, England.

And again in 1955, by New American Library/Mentor Books.

'The Book of Life', published by Thomas Nelson in 1982.

I've looked extensively for a copy of this New Covenant all over the internet, and in many good used bookstores, and still NEVER found a copy.

Hugh Schonfield also translated 'The Original New Testament', in 1985, when he was no longer a believer in Yeshua.

'The Living Bible--Messianic Edition', translated by Sid Roth and David Bronstein, Jr., published by Tyndale House, in Wheaton, Illinois in 1984.

I've only seen ONE copy of this for sale from a European bookstore.

'The Jewish New Testament', translated by David Stern, published by Jewish New Testament Publications, Jerusalem, Israel, and Clarksville, Maryland.
First published in 1979.

I've always loved Stern's translation and it's eclectic mix of English, Hebrew, Yiddish, and a little Aramaic!

However, when Stern translated "faith" as "trust" (which he does many times) I think that he was/is in error.

I don't really see how 'faith' can translate as 'trust'. But in spite of this, I do still love Stern's 'The Jewish New Testament'.

David Stern followed up his 'Jewish New Testament', with 'The Complete Jewish Bible', I'm not sure when it was first published.

'God's New Covenant--A New Testament Translation', translated by Heinz W. Cassirer.

Published by Wm.B. Eerdman's Publishing Company in 1989.

Cassierer's story is interesting.

He was a Jew who had escaped Hitler's Germany, and later became a Greek scholar and a Kantian philosopher, who had never read a word of The New Testament before he was 49 years old.

He later became an Anglican, who referred to himself as "a Jewish Christian".

'The Besorat Ha Mashiach' (Good News of the Messiah), published by Rainbow Missions, Inc. It first appeared on the internet as 'The Hebrew Names New Testament', taken from 'The World English Bible', before one could buy a bound version of it, I believe in the year 2000.

'The Orthodox Jewish Brit Chadasha', translated by Phil Goble in 1996, and was followed later (in 2001, I believe) by 'The Orthodox Jewish Bible', published by 'Artists for Israel International'.

As far as I know, these are the non "Sacred Name" New Testament's, done by Jewish Believers.

This is the list from the very beginning when 'Hebrew Christianity' was what Messianic Judaism was first called, to the present day.

If YOU know of other translations that I might have missed, I wish that you would add them to this list.

I find this history fascinating and it needed to be written down, even if it was by a Gentile.

Shabbat Shalom, Albion

Messages In This Thread
Messianic or Jewish Translations of The New Covenant - by *Albion* - 08-15-2008, 11:56 PM