Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Septuagint - a translation of Aramaic OT?
konway87 Wrote:Septuagint was made long after the return from Babylon captivity. By 540 BC, we know that Aramaic became the language of Jews. Septuagint is considered to be dated as early as 323 BC.

When they say Peshitta Tanakh was finished in first century AD, I think it is "possible" that the last books of OT were added in first century AD.

We have books of Sirach, Judith, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, 3 Maccabees, 4 Maccabees, and Josephus' Jewish Wars Book no Six in Peshitta Tanakh. These books were written long after the books of Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, and Malachi were written.

Peshitta Tanakh continued to add books until first century AD when the last book "Josephus' Jewish Wars Book no. Six" was added. Unlike 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, 3 Maccabees, 4 Maccabees have a strong pharisaic influence like communicating with spirits, resurrection of the dead, etc. 1 Maccabees was written after the time period of John Hyrcanus I. So the second Maccabees, 3 Maccabees, and 4 Maccabees, must have been written from the time period of Alexander Jannai (103 AD - 76 BC) or later.

So we have a few dozen Aramaic speakers translating old Hebrew documents into Greek. I think we have our answer on why some Aramaic-sounding words wound up in the LXX, right?

+Shamasha

Messages In This Thread
Re: Septuagint - a translation of Aramaic OT? - by Paul Younan - 08-20-2013, 12:56 AM