Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 Maccabees
Hello Everyone,
One of the reasons why 1 Maccabees is not in Old Testament is because Jewish Rabbis claim that this book don't come from an Original Hebrew Source.

What they don't realize the spoken language of Maccabees was Aramaic. So 1-4 Maccabees in Septuagint comes from Aramaic.

2 Maccabees - 4 Maccabees are written by Pharisees, because 2-4 Maccabees contain Pharisaic Doctrine (communicating with spirits, resurrection of the dead, etc.). 2 Maccabees contradicts with what is mentioned in 1 Maccabees. So this confirms that the author of 1 Maccabees and the author of 2 Maccabees-4 Maccabees are different.

I consider 1 Maccabees as important, because Yeshua Meshikha was in the temple during the festival of dedication (Hanukkah) in winter in John 10. The word "Khodtha" can mean "dedication" or "rebuilding/restoration."

Afterall, Yeshua Meshikha came to rebuild the temple in 3 days (John 2). I will explore the differences between Maccabees in Peshitta Tanakh and Maccabees in Septuagint soon. I want to point out that I seem to notice that Maccabees in Septuagint seems to have additional words that is not found in Peshitta Tanakh.
Let me start with Mattathias and his 5 sons (Matthitha in Aramaic). This is my attempt in translating these verses.

1 Maccabees 2:1-5 (Septuagint) - "In those days arose Mattathias the son of John, the son of Simeon, a priest of the sons of Joarib, from Jerusalem, and dwelt in Modin. 2 And he had five sons, Joannan, called Caddis: 3 Simon; called Thassi: 4 Judas, who was called Maccabeus: 5 Eleazar, called Avaran: and Jonathan, whose surname was Apphus."

1 Maccabees 2:1-5 (Peshitta Tanakh - Ceriani Veteris Testamentum Pg. 104) - In those days arose Mattitha, the son of Yukhanan, the son of Shimeon, a priest from the sons of Yonadab, from Jerusalem, and has dwelt in Moraim. 2. He had five sons, Yukhanan called Gaddaz. 3. Shimeon called Tarsaz. 4. Yehuda called Maqabaya. 5. Eleazaran called khoran and Yonathan called Khaphus.

Just look the names - it is extremely different. In Septuagint, Gaddaz becomes Caddis, Tarsaz becomes Thassi, Maqabaya become Maccabeus, Khoran becomes Avaran, and Khapus becomes Apphus.

More importantly, Moraim becomes Modin.

Here is another example.

In 1 Maccabees 2:15 (Septuagint) - "In the mean while the king?s officers, such as compelled the people to revolt, came into the city Modin, to make them sacrifice."

In 1 Maccabees 2:15 (Peshitta Tanakh - Ceriani Veteris Testamentum) - "And there was those who from the King who compelled to transgress the law (namusa) gone to city Moraim, to make sacrifice."

So We see that it is Moraim. Not Modin.