Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zephaniah 3:18
Shalom Chaverim,

I came up with a question regarding Zephaniah 3:18. There are several versions of this verse:

3:18 - JPS 1917
I will gather Them That Are far from the appointed season, who are of thee, that 'thou hast borne the burden of reproach.

3:18 - KJV
I will gather Them That are sorrowful for the solemn assembly, who are of thee, to Whom the [*] {{Heb. the burden upon it was reproach.}} reproach of it was a burden.

3:18 - NASB
I will gather Those who grieve about the appointed feasts-they cam from you, O Zion; the reproach of exile is a burden on Them.

3:18 - WEB
I will remove Those who grieve about the appointed feasts from you. They are a burden and a reproach to you.

3:18 - Lamsa
I will remove you from Those Who spoke reproach against you.

3:18 - Brenton
And I will gather thine afflicted ones. Alas! who has taken up a reproach against her?

3:18 - Douay
The triflers That Were departed from the law, I will gather together, They Were because of thee: that thou mayst no more for Them Suffer reproach.

To me it makes more sense versions of the KJV, NIV and WEB, since both the northern tribes were captives and were scattered across the planet and how to do without the feasts and the southern tribes alike.

Does anyone know how this passage in the Dead Sea Scrolls? Or what this version is closer? Please use reference sources
The DSS Bible (Abegg, Flint and Ulrich) states,

[18 I] will gather them that sorrow for the solemn assembly, who [were] of you; to whom the burden on her was a reproach.