Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
skipped by accident?
Hi all,

I was reading the translation of Targum Onqelos with the Peshitta and the Hebrew,

and i came across Ch 7:37-38

37 This is the law of the burnt-offering, of the meal-offering, and of the sin-offering, and of the guilt-offering, and of the consecration-offering, and of the sacrifice of peace-offerings; 38 which the LORD commanded Moses in mount Sinai, in the day that he commanded the children of Israel to present their offerings unto the LORD, in the wilderness of Sinai. {P}

Here is the Lamsa Peshitta translation:
37 This is the law of the burnt offering, of the meal offering, of the sin offering, of the trespass offering, of the consecration, and of the sacrifice of the peace offerings, 38 Which the LORD commanded Moses on mount Sinai on the day that he commanded him concerning the children of Israel to offer their offerings to the LORD in the wilderness of Sinai."

Here is the Targum Onqelos Etheridge translation:
This is the law of the burnt offering, of the mincha, nad of the sin-offering, and of the trespass offering, and of the oblation of the sanctified victims which the Lord commanded {.?.?.?.} the sons of Israel to offer their oblations before the Lord in the wilderness of Sinai.

After checkinng the original Aramaic for targum Onqelos, with the limited knowledge I have, it appears that the Etheridge translation has missed the bold parts above from his translation. [http://targum.info/targumic-texts/pentat...-targumim/]

Am I mistaken in this?

Is it just a mistake or is he using a different source Manuscript for his translation that doesnt include the bold parts?
That is a good catch. Etheridge's eye must have skipped from the first commanded in the verse to the second one.
Just to note: this is in the book of Wayiqra/Leviticus.

But if he were to translate this portion, it would read like this: commanded Mosheh in the mountain of Sinai in the day that he