Hebrew Linear Bible

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Peshitta (Public)
Original message

Coblentz EMail CoblentzView member profileCheck IP address of this member "Hebrew Linear Bible"
Mar-08-2003 at 05:38 PM (GMT3)
I know the Peshitta Bible, but what is the exact origin of the linear Stone Edition Hebrew Bible that is provided in the bookstore? Is this a translation of another manuscript?

David

Table of contents

RE: Hebrew Linear Bible
Paul Younan — Mar-08-2003 at 05:59 PM (1)
Coblentz — Mar-08-2003 at 08:46 PM (2)
Paul Younan — Mar-08-2003 at 08:55 PM (3)
rdf — Mar-14-2003 at 02:15 PM (4)
Paul Younan — Mar-14-2003 at 06:33 PM (5)
ograabe — Mar-16-2003 at 06:45 AM (6)
Paul Younan — Mar-16-2003 at 07:11 AM (7)

Lobby | Forum Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

Paul Younan EMail Paul YounanCheck IP address of this member 1. "RE: Hebrew Linear Bible"
Mar-08-2003 at 05:59 PM (GMT3)
Shlama Akhi David,

The Stone Edition Hebrew Bible is the entire Old Testament, the authoritative edition in Hebrew (Masoretic text), Aramaic Targum and English. I have it and it is highly recommended, a very elegant book!

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

Coblentz EMail CoblentzView member profileCheck IP address of this member 2. "RE: Hebrew Linear Bible"
Mar-08-2003 at 08:46 PM (GMT3)
Thank you Paul for your answer.

But what is the "Masoretic" text? I still get confused with some of these names because I have not deeply researched manuscript origins. For instance, if the Peshitta Aramaic is the most reliable source for Scriptures, then what role does the Masoretic, Dutillet, Shem Tob, and Munster (or any other Hebrew version) play in the grand scheme of things? (I am already slightly aware of the Vulgate, LXX, and Textus Receptus.) Does not every other manuscript have errors when compared to the Peshitta?

Thank you for all your help.

David

Paul Younan EMail Paul YounanCheck IP address of this member 3. "RE: Hebrew Linear Bible"
Mar-08-2003 at 08:55 PM (GMT3)
Shlama Akhi David,

The Masoretic text (in the Hebrew language) is to the Old Testament what the Peshitta (in the Aramaic language) is to the New Testament. (the originals )

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

rdf EMail rdfView member profileCheck IP address of this member 4. "RE: Hebrew Linear Bible"
Mar-14-2003 at 02:15 PM (GMT3)
Shlama Akhi Paul,

What do you think with this one:

http://www.emetscroll.org/
http://www.emetscroll.org/images/torah.htm

Do you higly recommend this? especially for the people who would like to read the 'square Hebrew' word by word.

B'Mshikha,
Rudolf

>The Stone Edition Hebrew Bible is
>the entire Old Testament, the
>authoritative edition in Hebrew (Masoretic
>text), Aramaic Targum and English.
> I have it and
>it is highly recommended, a
>very elegant book!

Paul Younan EMail Paul YounanCheck IP address of this member 5. "RE: Hebrew Linear Bible"
Mar-14-2003 at 06:33 PM (GMT3)
Shlama Akhi Rudolf,

That's a very nice work, very similiar to the stone edition....except that the Stone edition includes the Aramaic targum as well.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

ograabe EMail ograabeView member profileCheck IP address of this member 6. "RE: Hebrew Linear Bible"
Mar-16-2003 at 06:45 AM (GMT3)
Paul,

How does the Aramaic Targum compare to the Peshitta Old Testament?

Otto

Paul Younan EMail Paul YounanCheck IP address of this member 7. "RE: Hebrew Linear Bible"
Mar-16-2003 at 07:11 AM (GMT3)
Shlama Akhi Otto,

Lingistically they are quite similiar, but translationally they are worlds apart.

The Peshitta OT is a literal word-for-word translation of the Hebrew - very rigid (like the Interlinear). In contrast, the various Targums are very liberal in their translation and very free-flowing, explanatory.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

REMOVE

Lobby | Forum Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic