Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isaiah 61/Luke 4: 18-19
When Messiah is reading from Isaiah 61 (quoted in Luke 4: 18-19) he seems to reading from the Septuagint (by including "sight to the blind") and not from any known Hebrew text.

The Aramaic CAL database for this verse seems to support the Hebrew Masoretic text against the Septuagint:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/cgi-bin/get_a_chapter.pesh.cgi">http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/cgi-bin/get_a_chapter.pesh.cgi</a><!-- m -->

Any thoughts about this phenomenon?

Wayne
Yes, I was just reading the other day from Christopher lancaster's free book about the Peshitta. He states (and I have confimred from other sources) that we do not actually have the ORIGINAL Hebrew OT. The Massoretic is a very late and revised version. He claims that the Peshitta OT and Septuagint, come from an older Hebrew original. This explains why all have "errors" and why all are helpful AND why sometimes the New Testament quotes teh Septuagint, sometimes the Peshitta OT etc. He actually gives examples in the book, where the New Testament goes against the Septuagint.
Greetings Richard,

How is it that the Massoretic text is "very late", when Rabbi Akiba establishes in AD 117 that it existed then in the form we have today and also considering that some of The Dead Sea scrolls , dated circa. 100 BC are also very much Massoretic type texts -(2 of Isaiah and some of Daniel) ?

The OT Peshitta agrees very closely to The Massoretic text from all I have read of it and the studies on it I have read at Hugoye. Of course there are differences between types.

There were Hebrew mss. agreeing with The LXX in Jesus' time. There were also Hebrew mss. agreeing with the Massoretic text; that is why some OT quotations are one type and others another type. There is no need for all quotations to agree or even for them to be from the absolute perfect original reading to establish that the quote conveys the correct meaning. We can compare it with any number of sources to establish that.
Our Lord would have quoted what the people were familiar with, even if the wording was not exactly what Moses wrote originally, as long as it conveyed the correct meaning of the original. There was controversy then as there is now about which text was the most accurate, just as surely as there were different sects of Jews - Sadducees, Pharisees, Essenes, Scribes, Zealots, Herodians ,etc. .

It is the job of scribes to discern the true words of God by their study and diligence and pass them on to succeeding generations. I believe God has guaranteed that His word would be preserved, no matter what devices Satan employed to destroy it. I also believe that those who sincerely seek it shall find it out.
What do you believe ?

"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do ?" Psalms 11:3

Shlama w'burkhtha,

Dave
Shlama lukhon,

The Dead Sea Scrolls version of Isaiah 61 contains the "sight to the blind" passage.

Many NT critics claim that the gospels writers added to Isaiah to force a messianic fullfillment by Jesus since the Masoretic Isaiah is without this portion.

However with the DSS find, we now have an older Hebrew witness to the fuller Isaiah 61 passage.

-Dean
Akhi Dean, in someway you have answered your own question. The Massoretic is clearly not the original OT.
Greetings Gentlemen,

There is a DSS scroll containing the text Dean refers to; it is not an Isaiah scroll, however. The two Isaiah DSS we have are dated 100 B.C. ; they are the oldest known scrolls of the Old Testament extant; LXX mss. go back to the 4th century AD. Other Hebrew mss. go back perhaps to the third cent. AD -(Aleppo codex ?).

The Isaiah scrolls have the same text as the Massoretic all the way through Isaiah, and Isa. 61:1 has the same reading as we have in our Hebrew Bibles today.

Please see Fred Moeller's site to view The Great Isaiah Scroll in its entirety and a translation & commentary with line by line description and notes. It is also available on CD
for $19.95 with tons of additional documents and other DSS material
go to:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/">http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/</a><!-- m -->

Shlama w'burkhtha,

Dave B