Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Andrew
shlom lokh oh Andrew,

I was reading your article "Is the Peshitta Dialect the Same as Messiah's?", and I noticed something, you said that the word "My brother" is pronounced as "akhi", but in Syriac we do not pronounce the "i", so it would be "akh" instead. And the same for "bayti", it should be "bayt".

We know that at the time when Eastern Aramaic (ie. Syriac) seperated into Eastern and Western Syriac, the possesive "i" wasn't pronounced. Maybe they use to pronounce it at the time of Jesus, but the Eastern Aramaic split happend around the 5th Century AD.

poosh bashlomo,
keefa-moroon
abudar2000 Wrote:shlom lokh oh Andrew,

I was reading your article "Is the Peshitta Dialect the Same as Messiah's?", and I noticed something, you said that the word "My brother" is pronounced as "akhi", but in Syriac we do not pronounce the "i", so it would be "akh" instead. And the same for "bayti", it should be "bayt".

We know that at the time when Eastern Aramaic (ie. Syriac) seperated into Eastern and Western Syriac, the possesive "i" wasn't pronounced. Maybe they use to pronounce it at the time of Jesus, but the Eastern Aramaic split happend around the 5th Century AD.

poosh bashlomo,
keefa-moroon

AGR:

Boy I am behind in responding to people here! I have actually Akhi Abudar, revised that portion and make the point that the GNT preserves the sounds but the Aramaic, while NOT pronouncing the yodh, accurately records the spelling. I will be posting a better version of that soon and how that relates to the dialect of Y'shua. The new version will most certainly be in Ruach Qadim.

Todah!
Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth