Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
But didn't Luke write to Theophilus?
The argument goes that Luke (whose name is of Latin origin) addressed his Gospel to someone named Theophilus (whose name is of Greek origin), and that therefore we should assume that this communication was written in the Greek language.

But there are many more questions raised here. For instance, Luke's name is Latin in origin. The same argument can be made for an original Latin version to his gospel - just because the author's name is Latin!

The fact of the matter is, the original language of any piece of literature is not as simple as the ultimate origin of the names of either the author/recepient or the language of the intended audience.

Here is an epistle (dated June 7, 2004) from a bishop of the Church of the East by the name of Meelis (Aramaicized form of "Miles", of Latin origin meaning "soldier") to another bishop of the Church of the East by the name of Gewargis (Aramaicized form of "Georgos", of Greek origin meaning "farmer").

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zowaa.org/news/news/assyrian/pr1.pdf">http://www.zowaa.org/news/news/assyrian/pr1.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Here you have a guy with an Aramaicized Latin name writing to another person with an Aramaicized Greek name. Much the same as Luqa (Aramaicized form of a Latin name) writing to Tawpeela (Aramaicized form of a Greek name).

What language is above epistle written in? Is it not Aramaic, because these two people have Aramaicized Latin and Greek names?
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]
Hi Paul,
may i invite you to ask your self a question: who was that "Luke", was it the apostle Luke?
To find the answer to this question, let us look in the Peshitta, quote from the Lamsa translation:

1 SINCE many have desired to have in writing the
story of those works
with which we are familiar,
2 According to what was handed down to us by those
who from the beginning were eyewitnesses
and
ministers of that very word,
3 And since these were seen by me also because I was
near and considered them all very carefully; I will
therefore write to you everything in its order, most
honorable Theophilus....end of quote

As we can see this "Luke" was not the Apostle Luke, because he wrote: according to what was handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers (apostles of Yeshua!) of that very word.....
This makes it very clear, he was not an eyewitness and minister of Yeshua!
And what it makes clear as well,that this text was after other texts written which were already in existence:
"SINCE many have desired to have in writing the story of those works"....

What was written on top of the "gospel of Luke": The Preaching of Luqa

So who was that "Luke" a companion of Paul?

Kind regards
Michael