Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 John 2:19
Paul,

Could I get a translation of 1 John 2:19?

Keith
Hi Akhi Keith,

Absolutely:

[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]wqpn Nnm[/font] = "From us they went out"

[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]wwh Nnm wl f0[/font] = "But not from us they were"

(The two clauses above form an Antithetic Parellelism, a very common Semitic type of poetry, when a second clause contrasts the terms used in the first clause.)

[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]wwh Nyrtkm Jtwl wwh Nnm ryg wl0 [/font] = "For if they were from us, they would have continued with us"

[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]wwh Nnm wld (dyttd Nnm wqpn f0[/font] = "Rather, they departed from us so that it be known that they were not from us"

(These two clauses form a Climactic Parallelism - where the second clause is not a complete echo of the first, but adds something more which completes the 1st, thus forming its "climax.")
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]
Paul,

I am deeply sorry about the situation involving your cousin's children. I don't know the anger you must feel, and I hope I never do. I am angry at the total injustice of it all, and I know if I feel this way your's must be exponentially more than mine.

Let me ask another question about this verse. When Paul said "but they were not of us" or "but not from us they were" can we assume that the implication is "they were no longer of us", based not on context but on Aramaic grammatical rules? The Greek, apparently, will allow for this translation. I hope the Aramaic does too.

Your friend,
Keith
Shlama Akhi Keith,

Thank you for your kind words. Today was horrible, even the heavens were weeping with a strong rain as they buried the children - and everyone was inconsolable and yet trying to console everyone else. Cassandra liked to pretend she was a little princess, so my sister Zeina (remember meeting her?) bought her a princess dress and tiara. She got Isaac a little tux. It was absolutely the most horrible thing and I wished I could have taken their places, or been there as it was happening.

About the verse, yes the grammar of the verse does allow an English understanding of "no longer with us" along with the "never were with us" understanding.
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]