Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aramaic Apostles' Creed
"Rufinus, in <i>The Exposition of the Creed</i> (ca. 400 A.D.), comments upon the phrase "descended into hell," but he mentions that earlier versions [in Greek and Latin] of the Creed do not include this phrase." So I'm wondering whether that clause is currently in the Creed of the various Aramaic Church groups, whether it is in the earliest known Aramaic versions, and if it is a later addition then roughly when did it appear in the Aramaic versions of the Apostles' Creed?

Shlama, Craig
breekh saphro oh Craig,

Craig Wrote:"Rufinus, in <i>The Exposition of the Creed</i> (ca. 400 A.D.), comments upon the phrase "descended into hell," but he mentions that earlier versions [in Greek and Latin] of the Creed do not include this phrase." So I'm wondering whether that clause is currently in the Creed of the various Aramaic Church groups, whether it is in the earliest known Aramaic versions, and if it is a later addition then roughly when did it appear in the Aramaic versions of the Apostles' Creed?

Shlama, Craig

In the Syriac Maronite Church during the Qurbono (Liturgy), we say the "mhaymneenan" (i.e. We believe -- Nicean Creed), as to the Apostolic Creed, I've never heard it or said it in Aramaic. I've read somewhere that the Apostolic Creed was developped in early Catholic history.

poosh bashlomo,
keefa-moroon