Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern variant ?!?!?
Shlomo oh Larry,

Both Official Peshitto and Peshitta have an identical reading.
The word used is "Leaven".

poosh bashlomo,
keefa-moroon

Larry Kelsey Wrote:Shlama Akhay,

After reviewing the discussion between akhan Paul and akha Yuri concerning variants, this is the closest thing I've seen to a true Eastern texts variant. I'm not real sure but maybe William Norton is not referring to an Eastern versus Western situation here. I'll quote him and let someone else fill in the details...

*****(WILLIAM NORTON wrote)***********
In 1 Cor. v. 8, some Syriac copies have, "with the leaven," instead of, "with the unleavened [bread]," etc. *****(END OF QUOTE)******

With all of the negative press that the word 'leaven' has gotten, I'd like to think that the 'unleavened [bread]' motif is a much more snug fit when you remember Yeshua's admonitions...'beware of the leaven of Herod'...'beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the Saducees'...etc. Also the Apostle Paul spoke of the 'old leaven' and of the 'leaven of malice and wickedness.'

Among the copies that William Norton compares are (1) Maronite (2) Lee (3) Ooroomiah (4) Walton (5) Gutbier (6) Schaaf

Do we have a true Eastern variant here, akhi Paul, or is this another East versus West among Syriac copies? :nervous:

Shlama w'Burkate, Larry Kelsey

Messages In This Thread
Eastern variant ?!?!? - by Larry Kelsey - 04-26-2004, 02:59 AM
Re: Eastern variant ?!?!? - by abudar2000 - 04-26-2004, 03:18 AM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 04-26-2004, 03:52 AM
[No subject] - by Larry Kelsey - 04-26-2004, 04:16 PM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 04-26-2004, 04:42 PM