Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrews 5:5-10
Paul,

I'd like a literal rendering of Hebrews 5:5-10. As you know we read the Bible through at least once a year, usually in different versions. We just finshed the "Contemporary English Version" (CEV). By reading different versions we can, hopefully, catch nuances that really don't come through in other versions. Such is the case with the above passage.

As a former Mormon I have long been interested in this mysterious fellow named Melchizedek. Something struck me in the CEV. It seems that Jesus was not a Melchizedek Priest until after His death and ressurrection. It was only around the time of His ascension that He was given this title and role. I went back and looked at this through some of the other translations that we have read (NASB, ASV, KJV, NKJV, NLT, Message, HRV, NIV, and ESV) and this certainly seems plausible.

What is the literal meaning of these verses and do think that He was a Melchizedek Priest before or only after His ressurrection? I think the correct understanding of these verses hinges on when God called Him and when He was made perfect (as in Hebrews 5:9-10)

Thank you my firend,
Keith

Messages In This Thread
Hebrews 5:5-10 - by Keith - 04-24-2004, 05:29 PM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 04-25-2004, 12:47 AM