Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A band of evil men have encircled me, and they have...
Like a lion, at my hands at feet.
Psalm 22:16 (According to the Masoretic Text). The Masorites changed vav to yud, from "Pierced" to l"ike a lion". No other OT text contains this. The DSS, LXX, and POT all contain "pierced".
I am not worthy! All hail the arrival of Akhan Rob!!!

*Chris fervently adds to his growing collection of "foreign" solved HOT contradictions*

btw are there any solved by the Samaritan?
Rob wrote ; Like a lion, at my hands at feet.
Psalm 22:16 (According to the Masoretic Text). The Masorites changed vav to yud, from "Pierced" to l"ike a lion". No other OT text contains this. The DSS, LXX, and POT all contain "pierced".

Could you explain further please?...the word ka-ariy (kaph, aleph, resh and youd) is what is in question here. The first kaph in the word means "as" or "like" and ariy means young lion (even in the strong's concordance alas!). Replacing the youd with a vav makes no word that I know or can find.

Yochanan
Rob,

Hello, I am new in the forum and was reading over this post and remembered some literature that was written about this very passage. They have uncovered a Hebrew fragment that aligns with the ???pierce??? rendition of the LXX. The dig was at Nachal Hever, and was published in the Discoveries of the Judean Desert, Vol. 38 by Dr. Peter Flint.

I hope this helps, not sure if you where aware of this find or not. If you would like more information on this I would be happy to provide the literature I have on it.

Your friend,
Hugh <><
Shlama Akhay,

I don???t think it was a 'vav' that was changed. The original Hebrew word for 'pierced' would have been "dakaru".

The scribe dropped the daleth and altered it to a similar sounding word 'keAri' which means 'like a lion'

-Dean