Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aramaic Lexicons
I am quite appalled at the absence of decent Aramaic-English Lexicons. What is up with that? Orahams is based on modern Aramaic and isn't indexed according to 3-letter root like a lexicon should be, and the good Thesaurus Syriacus is in Serto which is the worst script. In fact it bemuses me that scholars in the West seem to be so keen on the Serto script. Why? It is by far the hardest to read. Why not one based on Ktav Ashuri, Estrangelo or Swadaya that is technically sound?
This post is sponsored by Thadmania! Inc
All rights reserved
Shlama Gentile,

I think you are frustrated at the lack of attention that Aramaic receives in scholarly circles. Go to any Christian bookstore (or any bookstore, for that matter) and count the numerous Greek lexicons and dictionaries. Then look for anything on Aramaic. Zero - Zilch, Nada, Cipher.

Ironic, isn't it? The language that He actually spoke during his short stay here with us in the temple of our humanity is the LEAST studied by those who purport to follow His teaching.

If you were born just 700 years ago, you would have noticed a totally different world altogether. One with the largest church being Aramaic-based.....universities, hospitals, science.......all in Aramaic. And yes, dictionaries and lexicons galore.

Then Tamerlane was born....

If you're interested in following the century-by-century decline, see <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.atour.com">http://www.atour.com</a><!-- w --> 's "History" section.....
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]
Hey Paul,

Yeah, I learned all about this when I was in Erica Hunter's class back in Uni. I was so much fascinated by what SOAS term 'Christianities of the East' that ever since then I have been longing to travel around the Levant and neighbouring regions to see these communities in action and more interestingly, the monuments and relics of that ancient period.

What intrigued me very much was the [present day] Turkey v Egypt rivalry to be the authoritative stance on the Christian position. I reckon this was fascinating, especially the Christological councils as Erica calls them and the political realities surrounding it.

By the way, does anyone here know anything about the Coptic Bible and its origins at all? Just wondering.
All rights reserved
Shlama Gentile,

I think the Coptic bible is heavily tied to the Alexandrian Greek, no?

PS - keep in mind that the Christological controversies arose within the Roman/Byzantine empire (and Church.) The CoE (in the Sassanid Persian empire) was not involved. (that's Western Church history - we were not invited to, nor have anything to do with, Ephesus-Chalcedon or any of the other "Western" councils.)
I was wondering whether the copts believe that their Gospels are an 'original' just like the Greek and Aramaic versions or are they translations from one of these two early texts?
All rights reserved
As I understand it, they believe in a Greek original to their texts (and have the historical evidence behind it.) In fact, much of Coptic (including their alphabet) is heavily influenced by Greek. (kinda a mix between original Egyptian and Greek.)
So in essence it is pretty much the same position as the Western Churches take in the sense that they use a set of Gospels based upon the early Greek texts which are merely translated into Coptic?

I always though there was a resemblance in the alphabet between Copt and Greek. With the old Egyptian thrown in.

I guess that the essence of the message is the same anyway?
All rights reserved
Is it possible that an Aramaic-Hebrew lexicon exists...particularly since the Targums and much of the Talmuds are written in Aramaic?

Yochanan
Akha Jonathan,

Jastrow's Dictionary has Aramaic and Hebrew from the Targums , Talmud and Hebrew scriptures combined. Look it up on Google; I obtained it from Tigran Aivazian's web site from Britain.
Here is a site that contains the readable dictionary:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cwru.edu/UL/preserve/Etana/JAST.DICv1/JAST.DICv1intro.pdf">http://www.cwru.edu/UL/preserve/Etana/J ... 1intro.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Tigran has some great publications on CD Rom at very low prices. I got The LXX, Origen's Hexapla, Jastrow' Dictionary, Codex Ambrosianus (Peshitta OT) and Smith's Compendious Syriac Dictionary, Ginsburg's Massorah and Hebrew OT - all for $22.00 plus shipping !

Enjoy !