Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark 5:36 - BSWA2 part 5
BSWA2 part 5

-----

17. Disregarded or heard? ??? Mark 5:36

This ???split word??? does not arise due to having one Aramaic word that was rendered differently in differing Greek translations, but is likely caused by similar Aramaic words being confused for each other. This idea is strengthened by the consistent tendency of the Byzantine manuscripts to read ???heard??? while the Alexandrian manuscripts tend to say ???disregarded???.

The NIV says: ???Ignoring what they said, Jesus told the synagogue ruler, "Don't be afraid; just believe."???

The KJV says: ???As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.???

Versions that say disregarded, ignored or a variation thereof: ASV, BBE, NIV, NIV-UK, NLT, RSV, TEV,

Versions that say heard, overheard or a variation thereof: ALT, CEV, DARBY, Douay-Rheims, ESV, Geneva, GodsWord, Holman, ISV, KJ21, KJV, LITV, MKJV, MSG, NASB, NKJV, Rotherham, WE, Webster, Weymouth, Wycliffe, YLT.

???The Byzantine Majority text as well as the Stephens and Scrivener Textus Receptus all read the same for Mark 5:36. Where these texts differ from the Alexandrian text is rather amusing.

The Alexandrian text has  ('having disregarded')
The three texts listed above have  ('having heard')

The corresponding word in the Peshitta is (m4

The entries from CAL are as follows:

$m( V
011 passim to hear
012 Syr to listen
013 Syr to hold a hearing
014 Syr to obey
015 Syr %(am% to converse with
016 passim to understand
017 JBA $my( l- he heard, knew
018 JBA mN to infer
041 passim to be heard
042 Syr to be famous
043 Syr to be known
044 Syr to listen
045 Syr to obey
021 Syr to announce
051 Syr to receive an announcement
031 passim to cause to hear
032 Syr to announce
033 Syr to cause to obey
034 JBA to give to understand
035 JBA to infer

In my efforts to figure out what Aramaic word the Greek translators might have gotten confused the closest I could come to 'having disregarded' is when I entered 'ignore' in the English-to-Aramaic search link on the CAL site. The results that strongly favored 'shme' (hear / heard) are listed below:

smy V
011 Syr to lose light
021 Syr,Palestinian,CPA,Sam,JBA to blind
022 JBA to repudiate
023 JLAGal to ignore
051 JLAGal,Syr to be blinded
052 Syr to feign blindness
053 Syr to be blind
031 Syr to be blind
032 Syr to be lame

My theory (that I wish I could prove) is that the translators of the Alexandrian text confused 'smy' (ignore / disregard) with 'shme' (hear)??? ??? Larry Kelsey

Acknowledgements: Thanks to Larry Kelsey for this split word.