Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion in Prophecy
"For the most part, we can only speculate what Aramaic words <i>Y'shua</i> might have used when speaking to the people. But in this case, I am able to find only one Aramaic word that a Greek speaking person would render as '<i>sterile</i>' in the '<i>barren</i>' or '<i>childless</i>' sense of the word. It is lkt (<i>te-khal'</i>), and it has the same in meaning as the Hebrew word lkv (<i>shaw-kole'</i>). And guess what! It has another meaning... 'to cause, or make abortion.' The Hebrew word can be found in Strong's Concordance Dictionary under #7921. The Aramaic word is found in Gesenius' <a HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0875590225/amanyhwhismyf-20" target="_blank"><i>Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament</i></a>, published by Baker Book House, under the same numerical code of #7921. <i>See definition (2).</i>"

Now, Scott Nelson, wrote the above while unaware of the Peshitta. So, I'm wondering what word does Luke 23:29 actually use, and can it mean, "to cause, or make abortion."

Shlama, Craig
Shlama Akhi Craig,

The word used by Yeshua in Luke 23 , [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Frq9 [/font], is also used twice in chapter 1 to describe Elizabeth and in Galatians to describe Hagar. It is not a verb, but a noun.

However, the root [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]rq9 [/font]can in binyan pa'el mean 'to cause to be barren'. In Hebrew, rqv in binyan hifil can mean the same thing, but in order to prove that this means to cause an abortion, you must find a literary context in which it has this meaning. Otherwise, one might be twisting the original meaning to serve a modern notion. As far as I know, there are no literary contexts for that meaning.

The use of hrqv in Exodus 23:26 is in the context of blessings. It is also used in Torah for Sarah and Rebekha. Also Hannah.

Hope this is helpful for your investigation,
Rob
<font face="Estrangelo (V1.1)" size="4">
hnm Lqt4n hl ty0d wh P0 hl tyld Nmw hl Bhytn ryg hl ty0d Nm
(w4y</font>