1QIsa-a Isaiah 61:1
רוח יהוה עלי יען משח יהוה אותי
1QIsa-b after fisrt ihwh adds אלהימ 'God/gods'
4QIsa-m for first ihwh has אדני 'my Lord'
Spirit of Jahweh [is] over me for [purpose of .. has] anointed Jahweh me
Spiritus Domini super me, propter quod unxit me:

לבשר ענוים של חני
to report [for the] poor via(?) my grace
All others for the last two words: שלחני 'he has sent me' (therefore counted as part of next clause)
evangelizare pauperibus misit me (=he has sent me)

ולחבוש לנשברי לב לקרוא לשבויים דרור
and for binding up [the] broken-hearted to herald to [the] captives(?) (sabbathical) flow
sanare contritos corde, prædicare captivis remissionem,

ולאסורים פקח קוח
and to [the] fettered open [eyes] take/removal.
& cæcis ut videant.

The last words are same as the Masoretic Text, so the Hebrew can be rendered like the LXX as it is ambiguous.
BDB has a short article on פקח קוח.
They refer to Gesenius grammar §84n which thinks the MT has an error, in turn referring to "ed. Mant., Baer, Ginsb." for a conjecture.

פָּקַח
... is usually used with words for eyes and ears forming idioms for 'open eyes, see clearly, listen up'. For example: Genesis 21:19.

The Old Latin preserves the ambiguity as cæcus can mean both people in darkness (such as in a prison cell) and blind persons. So, the ancient versions are really very similar and it seems to me the LXX picked one sense and rendered it clearly targum-style, rather than trying to preserve ambiguity. For scholarship on the proximity of OT Peshitta to the LXX vs MT, here is a possible starting point:

Emmanuel Tov:
"In detailed studies of biblical books in S, scholars notice the closeness of
S to MT [...]" — 225a.varia.aramaic-syriac.PDF http://www.emanueltov.info/ -> Publications

I hope this was not a case of a blind leading a blind. ^^

BDAG, mentions the Greek word for blind, employed here: τυφλός is used often in the synoptic gospels and sometimes to refer to people who haven't yet discovered Judaism. It could be a choice made by Luke, or by a later editor since the verse isn't attested in Marcion's version.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the Aramaic Tanakh related to the Septuagint - by sestir - 06-20-2021, 06:27 PM