Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
_The Peshitta Holy Bible_ translated by David Bauscher
Do you think Revelation 17:1 originally had:
"Come"?
"Follow me"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"the great whore"?
"the whore"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 17:1
King James Bible
And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:
Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And one of the seven Angels who had with them the seven vessels, came and spoke with me saying, "Follow me; I shall show you the judgment of The Harlot who sits on many waters,"
Literal Standard Version
And there came one of the seven messengers, who were having the seven bowls, and he spoke with me, saying to me, "Come, I will show to you the judgment of the great whore, who is sitting on the many waters,
World English Bible
One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and spoke with me, saying, "Come here. I will show you the judgment of the great prostitute who sits on many waters,

Revelation 17:1 - [One of the seven angels], who had the seven bowls, came and talked with me, saying: "Follow me! I will show you judgment on the harlot who sits on many waters,
Follow me! - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "Come (here)!"
the whore - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the great whore'.

===============================================.
Do you think Revelation 17:5 originally had:
"on her forehead was a name written:"?
"on her forehead was written:"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 17:5
Berean Literal Bible
And upon her forehead a name was written, a mystery: Babylon the Great, the mother of the prostitutes, and of the abominations of the earth.
And upon her forehead was written: "Mystery Babylon The Great, The Mother of Harlots and of the Filth of The Earth."
Young's Literal Translation
and upon her forehead was a name written: 'Secret, Babylon the Great, the Mother of the Whores, and the Abominations of the earth.'

Revelation 17:5 - On her forehead was written: "The mystery of Babylon the great, the mother of harlots and of the abominations of the earth."
On her forehead was written - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "On her forehead was written a name..."

Revelation 17:6
Literal Standard Version
And I saw the woman drunken from the blood of the holy ones, and from the blood of the witnesses of Jesus, and I wondered-having seen her-with great wonder;

Revelation 17:6 - I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. When I saw her, I was extremely stunned.
I was extremely bewildered - literally: 'I was bewildered with great bewilderment' (Aramaic and Greek).

Do you think Revelation 17:8 originally had:
"come up out of the abyss"?
"come up from the sea"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"the beast that was, and is not, and yet is."?
"the beast which was, and is not, and yet will be."? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 17:8
Berean Literal Bible
The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to come up out of the abyss and go into destruction; and those dwelling on the earth whose names are not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will wonder, seeing the beast which was, and is not, and yet will be.
King James Bible
The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
"The Beast which you saw, existed and is not, and is about to come up from the Sea, and is going to destruction. And the inhabitants on Earth will marvel, whose names are not written in The Book of Life from the foundation of the world, when they see The Beast which was, and is not, and is approaching."
Literal Standard Version
The beast that you saw: it was, and it is not, and it is about to come up out of the abyss, and to go away to destruction, and those dwelling on the earth will wonder, whose names have not been written on the Scroll of Life from the foundation of the world, beholding the beast that was, and is not, although it is.
World English Bible
The beast that you saw was, and is not; and is about to come up out of the abyss and to go into destruction. Those who dwell on the earth and whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will marvel when they see that the beast was, and is not, and shall be present.

Revelation 17:8 - The beast which you have seen, which was and which is not, will rise out of the sea and go down. Those who dwell on the earth will marvel, those whose names are not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world, when they see the beast, which was and is not, and yet shall be.
from the sea - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta, which corresponds to Op. 13:1. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'from the abyss'
that was and is not and there will be [(toch)] - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek NA28 and MHT. Only from the Greek TR the reading is: 'and yet there is'.

Do you think Revelation 17:9 originally had:
"Here is the mind having wisdom:"?
"Here is the meaning for one having wisdom:"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 17:9
Berean Literal Bible
Here is the mind having wisdom: The seven heads are seven mountains, where the woman sits on them;
King James Bible
And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.
"Here is the meaning for one having wisdom: the seven heads are seven mountains, upon which The Woman sits."
Literal Standard Version
Here [is] the mind that is having wisdom: the seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits,
World English Bible
Here is the mind that has wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sits.

Revelation 17:9 - Here is the meaning for one who has wisdom: The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits.
Here is the meaning for one who has wisdom - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "Here is the mind that has wisdom."

Do you think Revelation 17:10 originally had:
"when he comes, he must continue a little while."?
"when he comes, a little remaining time is given to him."? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 17:10
Berean Literal Bible
and there are seven kings. The five are fallen, the one is, the other has not yet come; and when he shall have come, it behooves him to remain a little while.
"And there are seven Kings; five have fallen and one is, and there is another not yet come, and when he comes, a little remaining time is given to him."
Literal Standard Version
and there are seven kings, the five fell, and the one is, the other did not yet come, and when he may come, it is necessary for him to remain a short time;
World English Bible
They are seven kings. Five have fallen, the one is, the other has not yet come. When he comes, he must continue a little while.

Revelation 17:10 - And there are seven kings, five are fallen, one is (yet), and the other is not yet come. When he comes, he has little time left.
there is little time left for him - literally: "is little time given to him to stay." This is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'should he remain a little while longer'.

Do you think Revelation 17:11 originally had:
"beast that was, and is not"?
"the dragon, and the beast which it brought and is not"? (the Crawford ms. allows for that)
"the dragon and the beast that was and is not"? (the Crawford ms. allows for that)

Revelation 17:11
Berean Literal Bible
And the beast which was, and is not, is also himself an eighth, and is of the seven, and goes into destruction.
King James Bible
And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.
"And The Dragon, and The Beast which it brought and is not, also is the eighth, and is of the seven, and is going to destruction."
Literal Standard Version
and the beast that was, and is not, he also is eighth, and he is out of the seven, and he goes away to destruction.
World English Bible
The beast that was, and is not, is himself also an eighth, and is of the seven; and he goes to destruction.

Revelation 17:11 - The dragon and the beast that was and is not is also the eighth itself, and it is of the seven, and it perishes.
The dragon and the beast that was and is not - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta, which some believe could also be translated differently, viz. as follows: 'The dragon, and the beast that he brought, and is not. ..'. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'And the beast, which was and is not...'. In the Greek reading, therefore, 'the dragon' is missing.

Revelation 17:15 - (Also) he said to me, "The waters which thou sawest, on which the harlot sits, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.
languages - curiously enough we do not find the word 'dialekto' here in the Greek NT which we would expect here in line with Hd. 2:6, 8 ('own language'), Hd. 21:40, Hd. 22:2 and Hd. 26:14 (the last three references concern the expression 'the Hebrew language'), although in our view these do concern existing terrestrial languages.

Do you think Revelation 17:16 originally had:
"horns that you saw, and the beast"?
"horns that you saw on the beast"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 17:16
Berean Literal Bible
And the ten horns that you saw, and the beast, these will hate the prostitute, and will make her desolate and naked, and will eat her flesh, and will burn her with fire.
King James Bible
And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
"And the ten horns that you saw on The Beast will hate The Harlot and will make her desolate and naked and will devour her flesh and will burn her in fire."
Literal Standard Version
and the ten horns that you saw on the beast, these will hate the whore, and will make her desolate and naked, and will eat her flesh, and will burn her in fire,
World English Bible
The ten horns which you saw, and the beast, these will hate the prostitute, and will make her desolate, and will make her naked, and will eat her flesh, and will burn her utterly with fire.

Revelation 17:16 - And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast shall hate the harlot and forsake her and make her naked, and they shall devour her flesh and burn her with fire.
that you saw on the beast - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek TR. The reading of the Greek NA28 and MHT reads: 'whom you saw and the beast ...'

=========================
Do you think that when the passages below were originally composed, they had a pronoun right before its associated noun?

(looking at a 1975 Zondervan interlinear of the Greek)
Mt 3:4 Now himself-- John-- had
Mt 17:8 except himself-- Jesus-- only.
Mark 2:21 fullness from itself-- the new
Mark 6:17 For himself-- Herod-- sending seized John
Mark 6:22 the daughter [of] herself-- of Herodias-- dancing
Mark 12:36 himself-- David-- said
Mark 12:37 himself-- David-- says

Mt 3:4 he Now Yukhanan (looking at Younan's interlinear of the Aramaic)
Mt 17:8 l-a [not] kh-z-u [did they see] a-l-a [except/only] a-n [if] l'Y-sh-u-ai [to Yeshua] alone (looking at Younan + Magiera + Glaser) Mark 2:21 d'l-a [lest/ that-not] n-s-b-a [take away] m-l-y-u-th-h [its patch] that new from the old
Mark 6:17 he For Herodus sent
Mark 6:22 a'ai-l-th [and entered] b-r-th-h [her daughter] d'H-r-u-d-i-a [of Herodia]

Mark 12:36 he For Dawid spoke
Mark 12:37 he Since Dawid calls (incidentally, note the Greek mistranslation there: "himself-- David-- says him Lord")

_A Grammar of New Testament Greek by James Hope Moulton, Vol. III Syntax_ by Nigel Turner (1963), 417pp., on 41
The proleptic pronoun followed by resumptive noun is an Aramaic peculiarity^1 [1: C.F. Burney, _The Aramaic Origin of the Fourth Gospel_, Oxford 1922, 85ff. Moulton-Howard 43] :
Mt 3^4... Mk 2^21... 6^17... 22 AC...
Jn 9^13...
Probably also:
Mk 6^17.18.22 ...
12^36. 37. ....
It appears particularly in Codex Bezae^2:
[2: M. Black, _An Aramaic Approach to the Gospels and Acts_^2, Oxford 1953, 70-74]
Matthew 12^45 D...
Mk 5^15f D ...
6^18 D ...
Ac 3^2 D (but mistake for ...?).
This hypothesis of Aramaic influence could explain the apparent use of αὐτος = οὐτος in a demonstrative sense: see p. 194.

For possible later elaboration: in Bezae:
Mt 12:45
Mark 5:15, Mark 6:18
John 9:13
Acts 3:2

transcript of Codex Bezae
http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-NN-00002-00041/8

_Scribal Habits and Singular Readings in Codex Sinaiticus, Vaticanus, Ephraemi, Bezae, and Washingtonianus in the Gospel of Matthew_ by Gregory S. Paulson (2018), 345pp., on 38, 39-40
amazon.com/Sinaiticus-Vaticanus-Washingtonianus-GlossaHouse-Dissertation/dp/1942697457/
The Singular Readings of Scribe D in Sinaiticus in Matthew....
There are only two singular transpositions in the text transcribed by scribe D (16:13;^155 17:8),^156....
156 The Aramaic proleptic pronoun construction is altered here (Zerwick, _Grammatical Analysis_, 55). The Aramaic proleptic pronoun construction is also found in Matt 3:4; Mark 2:21; 6:17, (18), 22; (12:36, 37); John 9:13. Cf. Nigel G. Turner, _Syntax_, vol. 3 of A Grammar of New Testament Greek, by James Hope Moulton (Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1963), 41. The pronoun is no longer rendered proleptic (as in B* Θ 700) but as an antecedent pronoun, which is a common grammatical construction in the NT. Zerwick states: "The proleptic use of pronouns, i.e. their use to 'introduce' a noun which follows... is a pure Aramaism, and has been almost entirely eliminated from the usual text" (_Biblical Greek_, §204; cf. §205). Cf. McNeile, _Matthew_, 251.

Messages In This Thread
RE: _The Peshitta Holy Bible_ translated by David Bauscher - by DavidFord - 06-24-2021, 01:19 PM