Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
_The Peshitta Holy Bible_ translated by David Bauscher
How would you explain origin of the superfluous "and"s in the Greek Revelation passages cited below?

_The Apocalypse and Semitic Syntax_ (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series, Series Number 52) by Steven Thompson (1985), 155pp., on 97, with the Crawford in my brackets based on Greg Glaser's interlinear at dukhrana.com
https://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Semiti...521260310/
A search of Hoskier's apparatus yields several passages which preserve the Semitic καί preceding the temporal conjugation:
Apc. 6:12 καί εἶδον καί ὅτε ἤνοιξεν τὴν σφραγῖδα, 'I looked _when_ he opened the seal.' [Crawford:  and I saw when]
Here the second καί, supported by uncial P (Gregory 024) plus numerous minuscules, is totally unnecessary to the sense of the sentence from a Greek point of view, and is quite untranslatable.  The only explanation for its existence seems to be that it represents a Hebrew _Waw_ in _weki_.  Other occurrences are:
4:9 [Crawford:  and when that they give];
6:3, 5, 7 [and when opens; and when was opened; and when opens];
8:1 [and when/while opens];
10:4 [and when they spoke];
11:7 [and when that they];
12:4 καί (gig) ..., also verse 13 [that when that she has birthed.... and while/when];
17:10 [and when that he comes/signs];
18:1 [and from after these I saw];
19:1 [and from after these I heard];
20:7 [and when that/of has been completed];
22:8 [and when I saw and I heard].

3753. hote 
https://biblehub.com/greek/3753.htm
hote: when
Original Word: ὅτε
Part of Speech: Adverb
Transliteration: hote
Phonetic Spelling: (hot'-eh)
Definition: when
Usage: when, at which time.
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from hos, and te

3739. hos, hé, ho 
https://biblehub.com/greek/3739.htm
hos, hé, ho: usually rel. who, which, that, also demonstrative this, that
Original Word: ὅς, ἥ, ὅ
Part of Speech: Relative Pronoun
Transliteration: hos, hé, ho
Phonetic Spelling: (hos)
Definition: usually rel. who, which, that, also demonstrative this, that
Usage: who, which, what, that.

5037. te 
https://biblehub.com/greek/5037.htm
te: and (denotes addition or connection)
Original Word: τέ
Part of Speech: Particle, Disjunctive Particle
Transliteration: te
Phonetic Spelling: (teh)
Definition: and (denotes addition or connection)
Usage: and, both.
HELPS Word-studies
5037 té (a conjunction) – "and both" ("both and"). 5037 /té ("and both") occurs 204 times in the NT and unfortunately is often not translated.
[When translated, 5037 (té) is usually rendered "and," "both and," or "and both."]

http://dukhrana.com/lexicon/word.php?adr...ize=125%25
kd, kdy   (kaḏ)   conj.  when
  oldest kzy > kdy > kd, following development of dy alone; Syr. once ܕܐܟܕ‏; Mand. written k pluse the ligature for dy, here transcribed kḏ but occasionally just kid, ki

1  when ... and when the gods ruined my father's house ... when this letter reaches you do not stand still. Dan6:11 ... when he knew that the writ had been inscribed.  ... when PN my wife saw that my demeanor had changed. ... when you come to plunder they will plunder you; when you come to rape they will rape you. ... (the infant) sucks when its mouth warms up. (a) followed by ptcp. (or lˀ + ptcp.) : while (not) X-ing, being in a state  Com. Dan3:7 ... at that moment, while all the people were hearing the sound of the horn. ... they saw his disciples eating bread while their hands were not washed. ... and he saw Israel camping by tribes. ... this one is not dead and has not been killed.

2  just as ... do not worry about him; I am treating him just as you could do.  ... look after my lads and my house just as you do to your house. ...  whoever does not do just as is written above. 
(a) as much as ... I am doing for him as much as you are able to do for him. 
(a.1)  inasmuch as  ...  inasmuch as he brought the legions here many times. (a.2)  as if ... the periods, hours, and seconds go by as if they were not. 
(b) ... as is proper  ... the Temple will be properly structurally completed.  ... they oppressed the stranger without it being proper  ... as is proper for them.
Derivatives:
mn kd conj.   from the time that

============================================.
Do you think Revelation 11:1 originally had:
"And a measuring rod like a staff was given to me, saying"?
"And a reed like a rod was given to me  and the angel stood and said"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:1 
Berean Literal Bible
And a measuring rod like a staff was given to me, saying, 
"Rise and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and those worshiping in it.
Literal Standard Version
And there was given to me a reed like to a rod, [[and the messenger stood,]] saying, 
“Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and those worshiping in it;
King James Bible
And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, 
Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.
Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And a reed was given to me like a rod and the Angel was standing and said, 
“Rise and measure the Temple of God and the altar and those who worship in it,”

Rev 11:1 (APNT)
https://aramaicdb.lightofword.org/en/new...ons-search
And a reed was given to me like a rod and the angel stood and said, 
"Rise up and measure the temple of God and the altar and those who worship in it,

Revelation 11:1 - And I was given a reed that looked like a ruler, and the Angel stood (there) and said: 
"Arise and measure the Temple of GOD and the altar and those who worship therein,
       and the Angel stood ... and said - this is the reading of Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek MHT. Translations that focus exclusively on the Greek sources read only "and it was said."

Do you think Revelation 11:2 originally had:
"outer court"?
"court outside the temple"? 
"court within the temple"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:2 
New International Version
But exclude the outer court; do not measure it, because it has been given to the Gentiles. They will trample on the holy city for 42 months.
King James Bible
But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.
“And the inner court of the Temple leave out and do not measure it, because that is given to the Gentiles, and they will trample The Holy City 42 months.

Revelation 11:2 - (but) leave out the garden that is within the Temple, measure it not, for it has been given to the nations, and they shall tread under foot the holy city for forty-two months (long).
       the court that [(is)] within the Temple - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta.

Do you think Revelation 11:4 originally had:
"Lord of the earth"?
"God of the earth"?
"Lord of all the earth"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:4 
They are "the two olive trees" and the two lampstands, and "they stand before the Lord of the earth."
King James Bible
These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.
“These are the two olive trees and the two menorahs, which stand before the Lord of the whole Earth.”

Revelation 11:4 - These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of all the earth.
       the Lord of all the earth - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek MHT and the NA28 reads: 'the Lord of the earth' (the Greek 'Kurios'), the reading of the Greek TR reads: 'the GOD of the earth'. The reading of the Aramaic Peshitta agrees with Zach. 4:14 where the Hebrew text also contains the word 'whole', which only occurs in the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta of this verse.

Do you think Revelation 11:6 originally had:
"they have power over the waters, to turn them into blood"?
"they have power to turn the waters into blood"?

Revelation 11:6 
Berean Literal Bible
These have the power to shut the sky, so that no rain shall fall in the days of their prophecy; and they have power over the waters, to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth with every plague, as often as they might desire.
King James Bible
These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.
“And these have authority to close up the sky that the rain would not descend in the days of their prophecy, and they have authority to change water to blood and to strike The Earth with all plagues as much as they wish.”

Revelation 11:6 - They have power to shut up the heavens so that no rain falls during the days of their prophesying, and they have power to turn the waters into blood, and to smite the earth with all kinds of plagues, as often as they please.
       during - literally: 'in'.
       they have power to turn the waters into blood - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "They have power over the waters to turn them into blood."

Do you think Revelation 11:7 originally had:
"testimony"?
"testimonies"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"beast that comes up from the abyss"?
"beast that comes up from the sea"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:7 
Now when they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up from the Abyss will attack them, and overpower and kill them.
King James Bible
And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.
“And when their testimonies are complete, The Beast that will ascend from the Sea will make war with them and will conquer them and kill them.”

Revelation 11:7 - When they have completed their testimonies, the beast that comes up out of the sea will make war with them and overcome them and kill them.
       testimonials - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'testimony' (singular).
       sea - the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta is: 'sea', but the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR is: 'abyss', the same word we use in Op. 9:1 in the Greek text. Now the sea is also an abyss, only it is filled with water. It can hardly be otherwise than that the beast from the sea is referred to here from Rev.13:1 (there is 'sea' and not 'abyss' in Aramaic as well as in Greek), of which in Re. 13:7 it is said that it is given power to make war against the saints and to overcome them. 

Do you think Revelation 11:8 originally had:
"their corpse"?
"their corpses"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"where also their Lord was crucified"?
"where also our Lord was crucified"?
"where their Lord was crucified"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:8 
King James Bible
And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, 
where also our Lord was crucified.
Literal Standard Version
and their body [is] on the street of the great city that is called spiritually Sodom and Egypt, where also their Lord was crucified,
“And their corpses came into the street of The Great City, which spiritually is called Sadom and Egypt, 
where their Lord was crucified.”

Revelation 11:8 - Their corpses will be in the square of the great city, which is (in) spiritually (sense) called "Sodom and Egypt," 
where their Lord was crucified.
       Their corpses - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek TR. The reading of the Greek NA28 and MHT reads: 'their corpse'.
       their Lord - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek NA28 and MHT. The reading of the Greek TR is 'our Lord'. In the Aramaic Peshitta the word 'also' is missing where the Greek sources read: 'where also their Lord was crucified'. The absence seems more correct, because the two witnesses were not crucified, at least that is not stated in the text. But it cannot be ruled out completely, although we would expect that their corpses would then remain on the cross after their death. 

Do you think Revelation 11:10 originally had:
"they will give gifts"?
"they will send gifts"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:10 
King James Bible
And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, 
and shall send gifts one to another; 
because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.
World English Bible
Those who dwell on the earth rejoice over them, and they will be glad. 
They will give gifts to one another, 
because these two prophets tormented those who dwell on the earth.
“And the inhabitants of The Earth will rejoice over them and they will celebrate 
and they will send gifts to each other, 
because of the two Prophets who tormented the inhabitants of The Earth.”

Revelation 11:10 - Those who dwell on the earth shall rejoice over them and celebrate 
and send gifts to one another, 
because these two prophets tormented those who dwell on the earth.
       to send - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta.... The reading of ... is: 'to give'.

Do you think Revelation 11:12 originally had:
"I heard"?
"they heard"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:12 
Then they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, "Come up here." And they went up to heaven in a cloud, while their enemies looked on.
King James Bible
And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.
World English Bible
I heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, "Come up here!" They went up into heaven in the cloud, and their enemies saw them.
“And they heard a great voice from Heaven that said to them, “Come up here.” And they went up to Heaven in a cloud and their enemies gazed at them.”

Revelation 11:12 - They heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, "Come up here!" And they ascended to heaven in a cloud, and their enemies looked upon them.
       they heard - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta.... The reading of... reads: 'I heard'.
       loud voice - literally: 'big voice'.

Do you think Revelation 11:13 originally had:
"in that day"?
"in that hour"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"tenth part of the city fell"?
"tenth of the city fell"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:13 
At that very hour there was a severe earthquake and a tenth of the city collapsed. Seven thousand people were killed in the earthquake, and the survivors were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven.
King James Bible
And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.
World English Bible
In that day there was a great earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell. Seven thousand people were killed in the earthquake, and the rest were terrified, and gave glory to the God of heaven.

Rev 11:13 (APNT)
https://aramaicdb.lightofword.org/en/new...ons-search
And in that hour there was a huge earthquake and one-tenth of the city fell and they were killed in the earthquake. The names of the men [were] seven thousand and the remainder were in fear and gave praise to God who is in heaven.

Revelation 11:13 - At that (same) hour there was a great earthquake and one tenth of the city collapsed and the names of seven thousand men were killed in the earthquake and the rest were afraid and paid homage to GOD who is in heaven.
       at that hour - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek TR and NA28. The reading of the Greek MHT reads: 'on that day'.
       one tenth - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of... reads: 'one tenth part'.

Do you think Revelation 11:14 originally had:
"second woe is past"?
"two woes are past"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:14 
The second woe has passed; the third woe is coming soon.
King James Bible
The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.
“Behold, two woes are gone and, behold, the third woe comes at once.”

Revelation 11:14 - [Behold, two woes are past, behold, the third 'Woe!' is coming soon.]
       Behold, two pangs ... passed away - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "Behold, the second woe is past."

Do you think Revelation 11:15 originally had:
"kingdoms of the world"?
"kingdom of the world"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"our Lord"?
"our God"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:15 
The seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, which said: "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Messiah, and he will reign for ever and ever."
King James Bible
And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.
And the seventh Angel sounded, and there were great voices in Heaven that said, “The Kingdom of the world has become our God's and his Messiah's, and he shall reign to the eternity of eternities.”

Revelation 11:15 - [The seventh angel blew loudly] and there were loud voices in heaven saying: “The kingdom of the world has passed to our GOD and to his Anointed One, and He will reign as King over all eternity.”
       the kingship of the world - literally: 'the kingdom of the world'. The reading of the Greek TR is: 'the kingdoms of the world'. The Aramaic Peshitta supports the singular form.
       transferred to ... to - literally: 'become from ... from'.
       our GOD - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and it can be defended on the basis of vs. 13 and 16 and because of the high reliability of the Aramaic Peshitta, although the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'our Lord'.
       Anointed One - or: 'Christ'.
       to all eternity - literally: 'to the age of the ages'.

Do you think Revelation 11:16 originally had:
"sit on their thrones before God's throne"?
"sit on their thrones before God"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:16 
And the twenty-four elders, who were seated on their thrones before God, fell on their faces and worshiped God,
King James Bible
And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God,
World English Bible
The twenty-four elders, who sit on their thrones before God's throne, fell on their faces and worshiped God,
And the 24 Elders who sit before God on their thrones fell on their faces and worshiped God,

Revelation 11:16 - The twenty-four elders who sat on their thrones before GOD fell on their faces and worshiped GOD,
       for GOD - some translations here read 'before the throne of GOD', a reading for which there is support in the NT of the Greek Orthodox Church and in the reading of the Greek MHT, but the reading of the Greek NA28, TR and the Aramaic Peshitta reads: 'for GOD'.

Do you think Revelation 11:17 originally had:
"who is and was and will come"?
"who is and was"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:17 
saying: "We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign.
King James Bible
Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
Saying, “We thank you, LORD JEHOVAH God Almighty, who is and has been, for you have taken your great power and you have reigned.”

Revelation 11:17 - and said: “We thank Thee, LORD GOD, Almighty, who is and who was, that you have taken up your great power and have begun to reign (as King).
       who is and who was - only in the reading of the Greek TR and of the NT of the Greek Orthodox Church is added: 'and who will come', but there is no further support for this in the reading of the Greek NA28 and MHT and also not in the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. 

Do you think Revelation 11:18 originally had:
"you will give reward to your servants... and will destroy"?
"you will give reward to your servants... and you will destroy"?  (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:18 
King James Bible
And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; 
and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.
“And the nations were angry and your anger has come, and the time of the dead to be judged, and you shall give reward to your Servants the Prophets and to The Holy Ones and to those who reverence your name, to the small with the great, 
and you shall destroy those who have corrupted The Earth.”

Rev 11:18 (APNT)
And the nations were angry, yet your anger has come and the time of the dead that they should be judged. And you will give a reward to your servants, the prophets, and to the holy [ones] and to those who reverence your name, the small with the great. And you will corrupt those who corrupted the earth.

Revelation 11:18 - The nations were enraged, (but) your wrath is come, and the time of the dead to be judged, and you shall give the reward to your servants, the prophets, and to the saints, and those who fear your name, the small and the great, and you will destroy those who destroy the earth.”
       and You will ... - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of....

Do you think Revelation 11:19 originally had:
"the temple of God"?
"the temple"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"seen in his temple"?
"appeared in the temple"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"ark of the Lord's covenant"?
"ark of his covenant"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"voices... thunder"?
"thunder... voices"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 11:19 
King James Bible
And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.
World English Bible
God's temple that is in heaven was opened, and the ark of the Lord's covenant was seen in his temple. Lightnings, sounds, thunders, an earthquake, and great hail followed.
And the Temple was opened in Heaven, and the Ark of his covenant appeared in the Temple, and there were lightnings, thunders, voices, earthquakes and large hail.

Revelation 11:19 - The Temple in Heaven was opened and the Chest of His Covenant became visible in the Temple, and there were lightnings, thunders, voices and an earthquake and great hail.
       The Temple - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'The Temple of GOD'.
       the Chest of his Covenant - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR. Only the Greek MHT has the reading: 'the Chest of the Covenant of his Lord'.
       the Temple - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'his Temple'.
       lightning, thunder, voices and earthquake - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'lightning rays, voices, thunders and an earthquake'.

Messages In This Thread
RE: _The Peshitta Holy Bible_ translated by David Bauscher - by DavidFord - 06-10-2021, 01:05 PM