Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
_The Peshitta Holy Bible_ translated by David Bauscher
Do you disagree with any of this?:

_The Apocalypse in the Harklean Version: A facsimile edition of MS. Martin Orth 35, fol. 143r-159v: With an Introduction by Arthur Voobus_ (1978), 75+35pp. On 20-21, summarizing John Gwynn's _The Apocalypse of St. John in a Syriac version hitherto unknown, ed. from a MS. in the Library of the Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, with critical notes on the Syriac text, and an annotated reconstruction of the underlying Greek text_ (1897), xvii-xviii, xix f., 27, with 3 minor edits
https://archive.org/details/apocalypseofstjo00gwynuoft
In this new manuscript [the Crawford ms.] Gwynn found features which led him to the view that this was a real discovery-- the lost version of Polycarp.

First of all there is the fact that a version has emerged here which, though aiming at stricter adherence to the Greek text, in general direction and idiom definitely stands in the stream of the tradition of the Pesitta. Furthermore, intrinsic circumstances make such observations particularly relevant. The Greek of the Apocalypse, above all other New Testament writings, has a Semitic cast and is therefore capable of idiomatic, yet exact, reproduction in a Semitic tongue. In fact, insofar as the rendering of the Greek text is concerned this version displays in every respect a vernacular propriety and excellence in purity of idiom. Here everything moves naturally, without impedence, smoothly into Syriac. Thus the text is characterized by the way in which it combines the preservation of Syriac idiom with fidelity to the Greek text.

Furthermore, instructive observations may be drawn on the language itself. The linguistic side is quite telling. The language employed is singularly free not only from Greek forms, syntactic means and expressions but also from those linguistic phenomena which characterize later development of the Syriac language. It clearly reflects the Syriac, and a Syriac which must be regarded as belonging to an early period where various forms still retained their original force and significance.

Another point of observation lies in the character of the revision work. This is highlighted by the freedom displayed in doing the work of alteration. The text exhibits a considerable freedom of choice. This is illustrated by the cases which show that the text is not consistent at all, insofar the technique of revision is concerned, in rendering the same word or expression. The revisor has used his judgment delicately, employing the various shades of meaning expressed by the same term in Greek.^56 [56: This is over against the technique in the Harklean version where the same Syriac word or expression is employed to represent the Greek equivalent.]

Then the question of relationship. Gwynn found these observations most useful for a comparative analysis between the text prepared by one competent to represent the original with skill and the text in the Harklean version by examining the words, grammatical forms and idioms, he found that this Apocalypse stands to the Harklean in a relation of strong contrast and to the Pesitta in a relation of no less strong a resemblance.

=====================================================
"remotely suggest the Greek manuscripts were translated from Aramaic"
What in your view _would_ constitute evidence of translation?

"continually reference a 12th-century (Crawford) document"
Do you think it's OK to use manuscript copies separated by more than 1,000 years from their date of original composition?

Manuscript evidence for superior New Testament reliability - Dec 6, 2008
https://carm.org/about-the-bible/manuscr...liability/
Author
Date Written
Earliest Copy
Approximate Time Span between original & copy
Number of Copies
Accuracy of Copies
Lucretius died 55 or 53 B.C. 1100 yrs 2 —-
Pliny A.D. 61-113 A.D. 850 750 yrs 7 —-
Plato 427-347 B.C. A.D. 900 1200 yrs 7 —-
Demosthenes 4th Cent. B.C. A.D. 1100 800 yrs 8 —-
Herodotus 480-425 B.C. A.D. 900 1300 yrs 8 —-
Suetonius A.D. 75-160 A.D. 950 800 yrs 8 —-
Thucydides 460-400 B.C. A.D. 900 1300 yrs 8 —-
Euripides 480-406 B.C. A.D. 1100 1300 yrs 9 —-
Aristophanes 450-385 B.C. A.D. 900 1200 10 —-
Caesar 100-44 B.C. A.D. 900 1000 10 —-
Livy 59 BC-AD 17 —- ??? 20 —-
Tacitus circa A.D. 100 A.D. 1100 1000 yrs 20 —-
Aristotle 384-322 B.C. A.D. 1100 1400 49 —-
Sophocles 496-406 B.C. A.D. 1000 1400 yrs 193 —-

Do you detect any flaws in this reasoning?:

J.W. Etheridge, _Horæ Aramaicæ: Comprising Concise Notices of the Aramean Dialects in General, and of the Versions of Holy Scripture extant in them : With a Translation of the Gospel According to St. Matthew, and of the Epistle to the Hebrews, from the Ancient Peschito Syriac_ (1843), 246pp., on 49
https://archive.org/details/horaramaiccompr01ethegoog
https://archive.org/stream/horaramaiccom...g_djvu.txt
The absence of certain books (namely, the second and third Epistles of St. John, the second of St. Peter, the Epistle of St. Jude, and the Apocalypse) from the canon of the Peschito, suggests another argument for its antiquity. For either those books were unknown at the time when the version was made, or, being known, were not as yet universally recognised as canonical. But neither of these suppositions can consist with a date later than the middle of the second century.

T. K. Abbott, "The Apocalypse of St. John, in a Syriac Version Hitherto Unknown" _Hermathena_ (1899: Vol 10), 27-35
https://archive.org/details/sim_hermathe...0/mode/2up
The colophon [of the Crawford ms.] informs us that the MS. was written for Rabban Gabriel by one Stephen, belonging to the monastery of Mar Jacob, the recluse of Egypt, and Mar Bar-shabba, near Salach, in Tur‘abdin, in the dominion of Hesna Kipha. Tur‘abdin, now Jebel-Tur, is a district in the north-east of Mesopotamia, about one hundred miles long, long the headquarters of Jacobite monasticism. Salach was the seat of a bishop. The writer also gives us the names of his teachers and instructors, asking the prayers of the reader for them, as well as for himself. These names, however, give little help.

The first guide to the age of the MS. must be its handwriting. On this experts are divided, some assigning it to the eighth or ninth, some to the twelfth century. Dr. Gwynn gives sufficient reasons for adopting the latter view, and he has on his side the high authority of the late Dr. William Wright, of Cambridge (previously of Trinity College, Dublin), and of Dr. Karl Horning. Both these scholars fixed independently on the same MS. in the British Museum as especially resembling this, and the MS. so chosen was written in the same region in 1196. Dr. Gwynn himself has ascertained, by search amongst the Mss. in the British Museum and in Paris, not only that nearly all the Biblical MSS. written in or near Tur‘abdin resemble this more than any others, but further, that all these dated Tur‘abdinese MSS. were written in the latter part of the twelfth century, which seems to have been a period of activity in that region. An important confirmation of this view of the date of the MS. is that it was not until the twelfth century that Hesna Kipha was made a principality.

The version itself, however, is of much earlier date. This, indeed, is suggested by the character of some of the misreadings in the MS. itself, which point to repeated transcriptions. But more pointed evidence is suggested by a MS. in the British Museum, which contains a considerable extract from this version, and which bears [the] date A. Gr. 1185 = A.D. 874. A comparison of the readings in that extract with the Crawford MS. shows that the latter is derived ultimately at least from an older copy than the B. M. [i.e. British Museum] MS.
....the Harkleian version (Dr. Gwynn’s Σ)
.... the Crawford version (which now, following Dr. Gwynn, we shall call S)....

Moreover, the MSS. of Σ contain marks indicating various readings, and some of these are not found in any authority except S. It is an admitted fact that in the Harkleian version such marks are part of the translator’s work, and include references to the version on which it was based.

As to the textual affinities of S, Dr. Gwynn’s conclusion, from an exhaustive comparison with the Greek authorities, is-- That it is a mixed text, the larger component of which is a text adhering to the consent of ...
[i.e. "Codex Sinaiticus, also known as “Aleph” (the Hebrew letter א)" - https://www.gotquestions.org/Codex-Sinai...canus.html ]
A [i.e. Codex Alexandrinus] C [i.e. Codex Ephraemi - _Gospel Parallels_] P [i.e. Papyri], or the majority of them, while the smaller component agrees with Q (Tischendorf’s B, Westcott and Hort’s B_2) and the cursives. Its special affinities are, amongst the uncials with ... [i.e. Aleph], the oldest Greek MS., and among the Latin versions, with the Primasian, the earliest known form of the old Latin, probably the oldest version extant of the Apocalypse.

There is a remarkable agreement with ... [i.e. Aleph] in some of the "eccentric" readings of that MS., _ex. gr._ the insertion of ... in ii. 20, and of ... before ... in v. 5 (so Vulg. Clem.); ... for ..., xiv. 20 (so one cursive, 26). Of agreement with Latin authorities, we may note v. 4, .... = Prim. for ....
In one or two places, where S stands alone, it presents a very plausible reading, as in xviii. 16, where, instead of ... of the Greek text, it has ..., agreeing with ..., so that instead of the city (figured as a female) being herself gilded, it is her garments that are gilded.

_The Morphology of Koine Greek As Used in the Apocalypse of St. John: A Study in Bilingualism_ by G. Mussies (1971), 14
http://www.google.com/books/edition/The_...weAAAAIAAJ?
http://www.google.com/books?id=9XweAAAAI...us&f=false
2.2. Choice of the Manuscript
The great problem is now which Apocalypse-_ms._ we must choose. As is well known the oldest manuscript is not necessarily the most trustworthy. The number of intermediate copies between a Xth century _cursive_ and the autograph need not be larger than between the latter and a IVth century _uncial_. It may have so happened that the cursive has been copied directly from a _ms._ X, while our uncial stems via several other _mss._ as intermediate stages from this same X. In such a case the latter is likely to be the less trustworthy, because each copy increases the number of variants, omissions, improvements, errors, _etc._

Do you agree with me that the Greek Revelation contains numerous solecisms?

_The Solecisms of the Apocalypse_ by T. Cowden Laughlin (1902), 23pp., 4, with a comma deleted
archive.org/details/solecismsofapoca00laugrich/page/4/mode/2up
The Greek of the Apocalypse is marked by a series of most striking peculiarities which, as has long been recognized, are due in large part to the influence of the Hebrew idiom. They appear in passages imitating the style of the Hebrew Prophets^1 (with whose writings the Apocalyptist was so familiar^2) or in sentences or phrases transferred directly from the Hebrew of the Old Testament or from its Greek translation-- the LXX.^3 The following pages present the evidence of this Hebrew influence in sufficient volume and with sufficient discussion of detail to make, it is hoped, a complete demonstration.^4

1 Ebrard, in speaking of the more glaring solecisms of the Apocalypse, says that "dieselben nicht unwillkuhrlich, sondern in halbabsichtlicher Nachahmung des Colorits der a. t. Sprache entstanden sind. Der Autor der Apokalypse wollte offenbar hebraisirend schreiben ; die Sprache und der Stil der a. t. Propheten war es, die ihm allein in ihrer grossartigen Sehlichtheit genugte, das Ungeheure wiederzugeben, was er geschaut hat." ("Wissenschaftliche Kritik der evangelischen Geschichte." Dritte Aufl. Frankfurt a. M. 1868, S. 1106.)

[using google translate on the German: "the same not involuntarily, but in semi-intentional imitation of the color of the a. t. Language emerged. The author of the Apocalypse evidently wanted to write in Hebrew; the language and style of a. t.
It was prophets who, alone in their great clarity of vision, were sufficient for him to reproduce the monstrous what he saw." ("Scientific Criticism of evangelical History."]

2 Ewald, "Die Johanneischen Schriften." Bd. II., S. 52.

3 The LXX translation is more Hebraic than the N. T. and does not represent a type of Greek established and in actual currency at the time it was made, but "its distinctive character is due rather to the translators' exaggerated deference to the Hebrew sacred text and their mechanical reproduction of it." (Thayer on "Language of the New Testament" in Hasting's " Dictionary of the Bible," Vol. III, p. 40.) It is not surprising, then, that solecisms are found in the LXX nor in the writings of those who quoted or made use of that translation.

4 There are no less than 460 O.T. passages made use of in the Apocalypse. Westcott and Hort give a list of these in their "N.T. Greek," pp. 612 ff. and under the heading "Quotations from the O.T." ; but the Apocalypse contains no quotations proper, although a great part of its language is taken from the O.T. (Toy, "Quotations in the N.T.," p. 253. Cp. Swete, "An Introduction to the O.T. in Greek," pp. 392 and 404.)

"argument that the 7th-century Syriac text of Revelation, translated from Greek, is the source of the 1st-century Greek text"
I don't think that. But perhaps there's a desire to have a strawman to beat up.
I agree that the Harklean is a translation from Greek.

"claiming that the person Antipas is actually not a name but is two Greek words.... any English translator of the Greek is free to assume that name is actually two Greek words"
Do you think there was, or wasn't, a person called Antipas?

"it's not very likely that a translator is going add a person's name into the text where there is none"
Translators and copyists have done stranger things.

"The Syriac looks botched. It speaks of a faithful witness who was slain, but doesn't give him name"
What's the name(s) of Revelations's '2 witnesses' that were killed?

==============================================
Do you think Revelation 2:26 originally had:
"keeps my works to the end"?
"keeps my works"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 2:26
(Young's Literal) and he who is overcoming,
and who is keeping unto the end my works,
I will give to him authority over the nations,
(King James) And he that overcometh,
and keepeth my works unto the end,
to him will I give power over the nations:
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) "To him who is victorious
and keeps my works,
I shall give authority over the nations,"

Revelation 2:26 - To him that overcometh and keep pursuing my works,
I will give power over the nations,
continue to look after my works - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "Keep my works to the end".

================================================
Do you think Revelation 2:27 originally had:
"they shall be shattered"?
"you shall shatter them"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 2:27
(King James) And he shall rule them with a rod of iron;
as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers:
even as I received of my Father.
(Young's Literal) and he shall rule them with a rod of iron --
as the vessels of the potter they shall be broken --
as I also have received from my Father;
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) "To Shepherd them with a rod of iron,
and like the vessels of a potter you shall shatter them,
for in the same manner I have also received of my Father."

Revelation 2:27 - to rule them with a rod of iron,
and like a potter's pitchers you shall crush them,
for thus I also received it from my Father,
you will crush them - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta according to Bauscher, which is confirmed by the African Peshitta translation and by the grammatical analysis of the Aramaic verb. Other Peshitta translations read, "they will be crushed," but in our view, that translation is incorrect.
for that is how I also received it from my Father - several commentators associate these words with Ps. 2:8-9.

Psalm 2 (Young's Literal)
7 I declare concerning a statute: Jehovah said unto me,
'My Son Thou [art], I to-day have brought thee forth.
8 Ask of Me and I give nations — thy inheritance,
And thy possession — the ends of earth.
9 Thou dost rule them with a sceptre of iron,
As a vessel of a potter Thou dost crush them.'

=================================================
Do you think Revelation 3:1 originally had:
"dead"?
"dying"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 3:1
(NIV) "To the angel of the church in Sardis write: These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead.
(King James) And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) “And to The Messenger who is in the assembly of Sardis write: Thus says he who has The Seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: I know your works and the name that you have, and that you are alive and are dying.”

Revelation 3:1 - Write to the angel of the church in Sardis! This is what He who has the seven spirits of GOD and the seven stars says: I know your works, that you are called alive, (but) you are dying.
dying - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: "dead."

================
Do you think Revelation 3:2 originally had:
"about to throw away"?
"about to die"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"my God"?
"God"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 3:2
(NIV) Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die,
for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God.
(World English Bible) Wake up, and keep the things that remain, which you were about to throw away,
for I have found no works of yours perfected before my God.
(Young's Literal) become watching, and strengthen the rest of the things that are about to die,
for I have not found thy works fulfilled before God.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) “Be vigilant and confirm what remains of those things that are ready to die,
for I have not found you such that your works are perfect before God.”

Revelation 3:2 - “Be vigilant and strengthen the rest that is in danger of dying, for I have not found your works complete for my GOD.
reinforce ... that threatens to die - "threatens to die" is literally "about to die". This is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek NA28 and TR. The reading of the Greek MHT reads: "Reinforce the rest that you wanted to throw away"
my GOD - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek NA28 and MHT. The reading of the Greek TR is "GOD". [correction: Crawford says "God," not "my God."]

===============================
Do you think Revelation 3:4 originally had:
"you have"?
"I have"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 3:4
(NIV) Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. They will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy.
(King James) Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) “But I have a few names in Sardis, those who have not defiled their garments, and they walk before me in white and they are worthy.”

Revelation 3:4 - But I have some names in Sardis, those who have not soiled their clothes, and they walk before Me in white clothes because they are worthy.
I - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: "But you have ..."

========================================
Do you think Revelation 3:10 originally had:
"hour of trial"?
merely "trial"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 3:10
New International Version
Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth.
King James Bible
Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
Aramaic Bible in Plain English
“Because you have kept the word of my patience, I also shall keep you from the trial that is going to come over the entire inhabited world, to test the inhabitants of The Earth.”

Revelation 3:10 - Because you have kept the word of my endurance, I will also keep you from the trial that will come upon all the inhabited world to try those who dwell on the earth.
for the trial - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT, and TR read, "Before the Hour of Trial."

==============
Do you think Revelation 3:12 originally had:
"that comes down out of heaven from my God"?
"that comes down from my God"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 3:12
The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name.
King James Bible
Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
“And I will make the overcomer a pillar in The Temple of God and he will not go outside again, and I shall write upon him The Name of my God, and the name of The City, The New Jerusalem, which descends from my God, and my new Name.”

Revelation 3:12 - He that overcometh I will make a pillar in the Temple of my GOD, and he will not go out again. I will write on him the Name of my GOD and the name of the new city Jerusalem that comes down from my GOD, and my new Name.
that descends from my GOD - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT, and TR reads, "That descends from the heaven of my GOD."

============================
Do you think Revelation 3:14 originally had:
"assembly in Laodicea"?
"assembly of the Laodiceans"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 3:14
"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation.
King James Bible
And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
“And to The Messenger of the assembly of the Laidiqians write: “Thus says The Eternal, The Trustworthy and True Witness, and The Source of The Creation of God:”

Revelation 3:14 - Write to the angel of the Laodicean church! This says the Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of GOD's creation:
the congregation of the Laodiceans - this is the reading of the Greek TR and of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28 and MHT is "the church in Laodicea."

=============================
Do you think Revelation 3:16 originally had:
"hot nor cold"?
"cold nor hot"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 3:16
So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth.
King James Bible
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
“And you are lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, I am going to vomit you from my mouth.”

Revelation 3:16 - Therefore, because you are lukewarm and not cold or hot, I am going to spit you out of my mouth.
cold or hot - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and the Greek MHT and TR. The reading of the Greek NA28 is "cold or hot".

Do you think Revelation 3:17 originally had:
"Because you say, 'I am rich, and increased with goods"?
“Because you say that you are rich, and, 'I have prospered"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"blind"? (the Crawford ms. lacks that)

Revelation 3:17
King James Bible
Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
“Because you said that you are rich, and, 'I have prospered, and I lack nothing', and you do not know that you are sick and wretched and poor and naked,”

Revelation 3:17 - Because you have said that you are rich and "I have enriched myself and have need of nothing!", (While) you do not realize that you are sick, miserable, poor and naked,
Because you have said that you are rich and "I have enriched myself ... - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: "Because you said, "I am rich and enriched ... "
you are sick, miserable, poor and naked - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. in the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR between 'arm' and 'naked' the word 'blind', which gives a better connection with the 'eye salve' in the next verse, although the question is whether or not does not belong to the original reading of the text. .... The word "blind" fits nicely with the content of the next verse when it comes to "eye ointment". In addition, the medical powder for the eyes from Laodicea was very famous in those days. It was marketed in tablet form. After crushing the tablet, the agent was applied to the eyes as a paste or ointment. See also Jh. 9:39.

=====================================
Do you think Revelation 3:20 originally had:
"I will enter him"?
"I will come in"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 3:20
King James Bible
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
“Behold, I stand at the door and I shall knock. If a man listens to my voice and will open the door, I also shall come in and I shall have supper with him, and he with me.”

Revelation 3:20 - Behold, I am standing at the door and knocking. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and dine with him, and he with me.
I will come in ... - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "I will enter him ..."
meal - the Aramaic word stands for "evening meal", i.e. the main meal of the day.

===============================================
Do you think Revelation 4:3 originally had:
"and the sitting"?
"and he who sat"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 4:3
Berean Literal Bible
and the _One_ sitting, in appearance _was_ like jasper and carnelian stone. And a rainbow _was_ around the throne, in appearance like an emerald.
King James Bible
And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.
And he who sat was as the likeness of the appearance of Jasper red quartz stone and of red and white Sardius, and a rainbow of the clouds which encircled the throne was like the appearance of an emerald;

Revelation 4:3 - And He that sat (upon it) was like the stone of jasper and sardius in appearance, and a (rain) bow was round about the throne, like the emerald in appearance.
and He who sat on it - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek NA28 and TR. This text is missing from the reading of the Greek MHT. In the Greek of the NA28 and MHT it literally says: "and the sitting on it". The verb indicates a constant "sitting".

=========================================
Do you think Revelation 4:4 originally had:
"thrones I saw"?
merely "thrones"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 4:4
Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones,
and seated on them were twenty-four elders.
They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads.
King James Bible
And round about the throne were four and twenty seats:
and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting,
clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.
And around the throne, 24 thrones,
and upon those thrones, 24 Elders who sat
wearing white garments and crowns of gold upon their heads.

Revelation 4:4 - Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and on the thrones sat twenty-four elders, dressed in white robes and with crowns of gold on their heads.
on thrones - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek NA28 and MHT. Only in the reading of the Greek TR do the following words occur: "I saw".
to sit - the Greek verb form refers to sitting continuously.

==================================================.
"the Crawford manuscript is a 12th-century translation from the Greek"
How'd you come to the conclusion that the text in the Crawford ms. was translated from Greek?

"an added word indicates a translation"
Including here?:

John 1:38, biblehub
(King James) Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him,
Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And Yeshua turned and he saw them coming after him and he said: “What are you seeking?”, and they said,
“Our Master, where are you staying?”

https://aramaicdb.lightofword.org/en/new...ons-search
(Murdock) And Jesus turned, and saw them coming after him, and he said to them: What seek ye? They said to him:
Our Rabbi, where stayest thou?

"a missing word doesn't indicate something is a translation"
What, in addition to "an added word," _would_ "indicate something is a translation"?

===============================================.
Do you think Revelation 4:5 originally had:
"lightnings and thunders and voices"?
"lightnings and voices and thunders"?
"thunders and lightnings and voices"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 4:5
King James Bible
And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.
Douay-Rheims Bible
And from the throne proceeded lightnings, and voices, and thunders; and there were seven lamps burning before the throne, which are the seven spirits of God.
And from the throne proceed thunders and lightnings and voices, and seven lamps were burning before that throne, which are The Seven Spirits of God.

Revelation 4:5 - From the throne came thunders, thunderbolts and voices. Seven lights were burning before the throne, that is the seven Spirits of GOD.
thunders ... thunderbolts - this is the order in the Aramaic Peshitta, but the order in the Greek NA28 is: 'thunderbolts, thunders and voices', while the reading of the Greek MHT and TR is: 'thunderbolts, voices and thunders' .

Do you think Revelation 4:8 originally had "stood and"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 4:8
King James Bible
And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.
Each one of these four beasts stood and had from its appendages and over it six surrounding wings, and from within they are full of eyes and are not silent day or night, saying, "Holy, holy, holy, LORD JEHOVAH God Almighty."

Revelation 4:8 - Each of the four creatures stood and had six wings from its claws and upward, which were full of eyes within. They had no rest day and night, saying, "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD GOD, the Almighty, who was, and who is, and who is to come."
stood and - these words are part of the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta, but they do not appear in the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

==============================
Do you think Revelation 4:9 originally had:
"beasts"?
"four beasts"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)
"amen"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 4:9
King James Bible
And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever,
And when these four beasts give glory and honor and thanks to him who sits upon the throne and to The One Living to the eternity of eternities, amen,

Revelation 4:9 - (Whenever) the four beings brought glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits upon the throne, who lives for all eternity, - Amen! -,
the four beings - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads simply: "the beings".
Amen - in this and the next verse this "Amen" is part of the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta, but it is missing from the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

=======================================
Do you think Revelation 4:10 originally had "amen"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 4:10
Young's Literal Translation
fall down do the twenty and four elders before Him who is sitting upon the throne, and bow before Him who is living to the ages of the ages,
and they cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
The 24 Elders fall down in front of him who sits upon the throne and worship The Living One for the eternity of eternities, amen,
and cast their crowns before the throne saying,

=======================================
Do you think Revelation 4:11 originally had:
"You, our Lord and God, are worthy"?
"You, O Lord, are worthy"?
"You, our Lord and God, the Holy One, are worthy"?
"You, our Lord and our God, are worthy"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 4:11
"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."
King James Bible
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
World English Bible
"Worthy are you, our Lord and God, the Holy One, to receive the glory, the honor, and the power, for you created all things, and because of your desire they existed, and were created!"
"You are worthy, our Lord and Our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you have created all things, and by your pleasure they exist and were created."

Revelation 4:11 - "You, our Lord and our GOD, are worthy to receive the glory and the honor and the power for You created all things, and by Your will they were and were created!"
You, our Lord and our GOD, are worthy - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28 reads, "You, our Lord and GOD, are worthy," while the Greek TR reads, "You, O Lord, are worthy." The reading of the Greek MHT reads, "You, Lord, our GOD, the Holy One, are worthy."
by your will - in the Aramaic Peshitta the expression sounds more like: "by your good pleasure", but the word "good pleasure" is not very common anymore.

Revelation 5:1 - And I saw, on the right hand of Him who sat on the throne, a scroll written within and without, sealed with seven seals.
sealed with seven seals - in the Aramaic Peshitta these words sound poetically "tabaya taba shaba".

Do you think Revelation 5:3 originally had:
"in heaven above"?
"in heaven"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"open the scroll or see it"?
"open the scroll and loosen its seals and see it"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 5:3
King James Bible
And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.
World English Bible
No one in heaven above, or on the earth, or under the earth, was able to open the book, or to look in it.
And there was none able in Heaven or in Earth, nor any under The Earth, to open the scroll and to open its seals and look upon it.

Revelation 5:3 - No one in heaven or on the earth or under the earth could open the scroll and loosen its seals and see it.
in heaven - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek NA28 and TR. The reading of the Greek MHT is "in heaven above."
opening - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek NA28 and MHT. The reading of the Greek TR is "open and read." [correction: that entry belongs with 5:4]
loosening its seals - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. These words are missing in the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Do you think Revelation 5:4 originally had:
"open the scroll or view it"?
"open and read the scroll, or view it"?
"open the scroll and loosen its seals"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 5:4
I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside.
King James Bible
And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.
I was weeping much because none was found worthy to open the scroll and to loosen its seals,

Revelation 5:4 - I cried badly because no one was found worthy to open the scroll and untie its seals.
to release the scroll ... this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "to open the scroll or view it."

Do you think Revelation 5:5 originally had:
"seven seals"?
"seals"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 5:5
Then one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals."
King James Bible
And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
And one of the Elders said to me, "Do not weep; behold, The Lion from the tribe of Judah, The Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and its seals."

Revelation 5:5 - One of the elders said to me, "Weep not, behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has overcome to open the scroll and its seals."
the Lion of the tribe of Judah - this is the only time that Jesus Christ is referred to in the Bible as the Lion of the tribe of Judah. See further Gen. 49:9.
has ... open - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28 and MHT is very similar to this, but speaks of "his seven seals."

Do you think Revelation 5:6 originally had:
"I saw, and lo/behold"?
"I saw"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 5:6
Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.
King James Bible
And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
And I saw in the midst of a throne and of The Four Beasts and of the Elders, a Lamb, which was as if it were slain, and it had seven horns and seven eyes, which are The Seven Spirits of God sent into the whole Earth.

Revelation 5:6 - And I saw in the midst of the throne and of the four creatures and in the midst of the elders, a Lamb as slaughter, with seven horns and seven eyes. These are the seven Spirits of GOD who have been sent out all over the earth.
And I saw - in the Greek TR it is added "and behold", but these words are missing in the reading of the Greek NA28 and MHT and in that of the Aramaic Peshitta.

Do you think Revelation 5:7 originally had "scroll"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 5:7
Berean Literal Bible
And He came and took _it_ out of the right hand of the _One_ sitting on the throne.
King James Bible
And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.
And he came and took the scroll from the hand of him who sat on the throne.

Revelation 5:7 - And He came and took the scroll out of the hand of Him who sat on the throne.
the scroll - we find this word in the reading of the Greek TR and of the Aramaic Peshitta, but we do not find it in the reading of the Greek NA28 and MHT.

Do you think Revelation 5:9 originally had:
"tribe and language and people and nation"?
"tribe and people and nation"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 5:9
King James Bible
And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
Singing a new hymn of praise, and they were saying, "You are worthy to take the scroll and to loosen its seals, because you were slain and you have redeemed us by your blood to God from every tribe, nation and people,"

Revelation 5:9 - They sang a new song and said, "You are worthy to take the scroll and open its seals, for You were slain and You bought us to GOD with Your blood out of every tribe and people and nation.
from every tribe and people and nation - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read, "from every tribe and language and people and nation." So in the Peshitta the word "language" is missing in this verse, but not in Op. 7:9 and Op. 13:7 and Op. 14:6.

Do you think Revelation 5:10 originally had:
"made us"?
"made them"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"kingdom and priests"?
"kings and priests"?
"kingdom and priests and kings"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"we will"?
"they will"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 5:10
You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign on the earth."
King James Bible
And hast made us unto our God kings and priests:
and we shall reign on the earth.
"And you have made them a Kingdom, Priests and Kings to our God,
and they shall reign over The Earth."

Aramaic Peshitta NT
https://aramaicdb.lightofword.org/en/new...ons-search
And you made them a kingdom for our God and priests and kings and they will reign on the earth."

Revelation 5:10 - You have made them a kingdom to our GOD, and (as) priests and kings, and they shall rule (as kings) over the earth."
them - this is the reading of the Greek NA28, the MHT and the Aramaic Peshitta, but the reading of the Greek TR is "us", but with very poor manuscript support.
made into a kingdom, and ... kings - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The Greek NA28 reads "to a kingdom and to priests, while the Greek TR and MHT is "to kings and priests."
they will - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek NA28 and MHT.
Only in the TR we find the reading: "we will".

Do you think Revelation 5:14 originally had:
"the 24 elders"?
"the elders"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"worshipped him that lives forever and ever"?
"worshipped"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 5:14
The four living creatures said, "Amen," and the elders fell down and worshiped.
King James Bible
And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.
And when The Four Beasts said, "Amen", The Elders fell down and worshiped.

Revelation 5:14 - And when the four beings say "Amen!" said, the elders fell down and worshiped.
the elders - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and of the Greek NA28 and MHT. Only from the Greek TR does the reading read: "And the twenty-four elders."
worshiped - only in the reading of the Greek TR are the following words after this: "Him who lives for all eternity."

Messages In This Thread
RE: _The Peshitta Holy Bible_ translated by David Bauscher - by DavidFord - 05-21-2021, 11:09 PM