Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
_The Peshitta Holy Bible_ translated by David Bauscher
"But once you begin to include them, where do you stop?" 
You stop where the early Christians stopped.
"I come from a conservative Evangelical tradition, 
I'm comfortable with the Protestant biblical canon minus the Apocrypha"
Ditto, and ditto.  But I have more recently come to the conclusion that the OT books in the Peshitta Tanakh, LXX, Codex Vaticanus, and Codex Sinaiticus belong in printed Bibles.
What is "the Wisdom written by friends of Solomon in his honour"?

The Muratorian Canon
http://www.ntcanon.org/Muratorian_Canon.shtml
and several others, which cannot be received in the catholic Church; for it will not do to mix gall with honey. Further an epistle of Jude and two with the title (or: two of the above mentioned) John are accepted in the catholic Church, and the Wisdom written by friends of Solomon in his honour. Also of the revelations we accept only those of John and Peter, which (latter) some of our people do not want to have read in the Church.
Apparently, Codex Alexandrinus and the Church of the East have somewhat-similar ordering of NT books, with the exception that Codex Alexandrinus includes the 'Western Five,' and has 1-2 Clement:

I assume "COE" stands for 'Church of the East':

Order of the Complete Syrian Orthodox Antiochian Peshitta
http://www.atour.com/forums/peshitta/469.html
COE,NT:
Mathew
Mark
Luke
John
Acts
Yaqub
1 Peter
1 John
Romans
1 Corithians
2 Corithians
Galations
Ephesians
Phillipians
Colassians
1 Timothy
2 Timothy
Titus
Philemon
Hebrews
Five Disputed Books added later , but not accepted by all in COE:
2 Shimun Keepa
2 John
3 John
Jude
Revelation

Codex Alexandrinus (Gregory-Aland 02), Bible in four volumes: Volume 4 (New Testament)
http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/FullDisplay...II&index=9
Volume 4 of 4 (see also Royal MSS 1 D. v-vii). New Testament. All the books have superscriptions and colophons. The Eusebian canons and Ammonian sections are indicated in the margins of the Gospels, and the κεφάλαια appear as running heads at the top of the Gospel pages.
Contents:
1. (f. 1v): 17th-century table of contents.
2. (ff. 2r-5v): Matthew. Imperfect: the manuscript is missing 25 leaves at the beginning, which would have contained the κεφάλαια of Matthew and Matt. 1:1-25:6. Colophon (f. 5v): 'Εὐαγγέλιον κατὰ Ματθαῖον'.
3. (f. 5v): Κεφάλαια of Mark. Superscription (f. 5v): 'Τοῦ κατὰ Μάρκον εὐαγγελίου αἱ περιόχαι'.
4. (ff. 6r-18v): Mark. Superscription (f. 6r) is partly lost: '[Εὐαγγέλ]ιον κατὰ Μάρκον'. Colophon (f. 18v): 'Εὐαγγέλιον κατὰ Μάρκον'.
5. (ff. 19r-v): Κεφάλαια of Luke. Colophon (f. 19v): 'Τοῦ κατὰ Λουκᾶν εὐαγγελίου τὰ κεφάλαια'.
6. (ff. 20r-41v): Superscription (f. 20r): 'Εὐαγγέλιον κατὰ Λουκᾶν'. Colophon (f. 41v): 'Εὐαγγέλιον κατὰ Λουκᾶν'.
7. (f. 42r): Κεφάλαια of John.
8. (ff. 42r-55v): John. 2 leaves missing between ff. 46v and 47r, which would have contained John 6:50-8:52. Colophon (f. 55v): 'Εὐαγγέλιον κατὰ Ἰωάννην'.
9. (ff. 56r-76r): Acts. Colophon (f. 76r): 'Πράξεις τῶν ἁγίων ἀποστόλων'.
10. (ff. 76r-78r): James. Colophon (f. 78r): 'Ἰακώβου ἐπιστολή'.
11. (ff. 78r-80r): 1 Peter. Colophon (f. 80r): 'Πέτρου Α'.
12. (ff. 80r-81v): 2 Peter. Colophon (f. 81v): 'Πέτρου Β'.
13. (ff. 81v-83v): 1 John. Superscription: (f. 81v): 'Ἰωάννου Α'. Colophon (f. 83v): 'Ἰωάννου Α'.
14. (f. 83v): 2 John. Colophon (f. 83v): 'Ἰωάννου Β'.
15. (f. 84r): 3 John. Colophon (f. 84r): 'Ἰωάννου Γ'.
16. (ff. 84r-v): Jude. Superscription (f. 84r) is partly illegible: '[Ἰούδα ἐπ]ιστολή'. Colophon (f. 84v): 'Ἰούδα ἐπιστολὴ πράξεις τῶν ἁγίων άποστόλων καὶ καθολικαὶ'.
17. (ff. 85r-92r): Romans. Superscription (f. 85r) is partly lost: '[Πρὸ]ς Ῥωμαίους'. Colophon (f. 92r): 'Πρὸς Ῥωμαίους'.
18. (ff. 92v-99v): 1 Corinthians. Colophon (f. 99v): 'Πρὸς Κορινθίους Α'.
19. (ff. 99v-101v): 2 Corinthians. Superscription (f. 99v): 'Πρὸς Κορινθίους Β'. 3 leaves are missing between ff. 100v and 101r, which would have contained 2 Cor. 4:13-12:6. Colophon (f. 101v): 'Πρὸς Κορινθίους Β'.
20. (ff. 101v-104r): Galatians. Superscription (f. 101v): 'Πρὸς Γαλάτας'. Colophon (f. 104r): 'Πρὸς Γαλάτας'.
21. (ff. 104r-106v): Ephesians. Superscription (f. 104r): 'Πρὸς Ἐφεσίους'. Colophon (f. 106v): 'Πρὸς Ἐφεσίους'.
22. (ff. 107r-108v): Philippians. Superscription (f. 107r) is partly lost: '[Πρὸς] Φιλιππησίους'. Colophon (f. 108v): 'Πρὸς Φιλιππησίους'.
23. (ff. 108v-110r): Colossians. Superscription (f. 108v): 'Πρὸς Κολασσαεῖς'. Colophon (f. 110r): 'Πρὸς Κολασσαεῖς ἀπὸ Ῥωμῆ [sic]'.
24. (ff. 110v-12r): 1 Thessalonians. Colophon (f. 112r): 'Πρὸς Θεσσαλονικεῖς Α ἐγράφη ἀπὸ Ἀθηνῶν'.
25. (ff. 112r-13r): 2 Thessalonians. Superscription (f. 112r): 'Πρὸς Θεσσαλονικεῖς Β'. Colophon (f. 113r): 'Πρὸς Θεσσαλονικεῖς Β ἐγράφη ἀπὸ Ἀθηνῶν'.
26. (ff. 113r-19r): Hebrews. Superscription (f. 113r): 'Πρὸς Ἑβραίους'. Colophon (f. 119r): 'Πρὸς Ἑβραίους ἐγράφη ἀπὸ Ῥωμῆς'.
27. (ff. 119r-21r): 1 Timothy. Superscription (f. 119r): 'Πρὸς Τιμόθεον Α'. Colophon (f. 121r): 'Πρὸς Τιμόθεον Α ἐγράφη ἀπὸ Λαοδικείας'.
28. (ff. 121r-22v): 2 Timothy. Superscription (f. 121r): 'Πρὸς Τιμόθεον Β'. Colophon (f. 122v): 'Πρὸς Τιμόθεον Β ἐγράφη ἀπὸ Λαοδικείας'.
29. (ff. 123r-v): Titus. Superscription (f. 123r) is partly lost: '[Πρὸς] Τίτον'. Colophon (f. 123v): 'Πρὸς Τίτον ἐγράφη ἀπὸ Νικοπολέως'.
30. (f. 124r): Philemon. Superscription (f. 124r) is partly lost: '[Πρὸς] Φίλημον'. Folio 124v is blank.
31. (ff. 125r-33v): Revelation. Colophon (f. 133v): 'Ἀποκάλυψις Ἰωάννου'.
32. (ff. 134r-43r): 1 Clement. Superscription (f. 134r) is partly lost: '[...] Κορινθίους Α'. 1 leaf is missing between ff. 142 and 143, which would have contained 1 Clem. 57:7-63:4. Colophon (f. 143r): 'Κλήμεντος πρὸς Κορινθίους ἐπιστολὴ'.
33. (ff. 143r-44v): 2 Clem. 1:1- 12:5. The text ends imperfectly, with the loss of some leaves. Explicit: 'Καὶ τὸ ἄρσεν μετὰ τῆς θηλίας οὔτε ἄρσεν οὔτε θῆλυ τούτ[...]'. In addition to the end of 2 Clement, the Psalms of Solomon seem to have been lost in their entirety: the title of this book appeared at the end of the table of contents on Royal MS 1 D. v, f. 4r, although separated by a space from the rest.
(03-16-2019, 03:11 PM)DavidFord Wrote: David, thanks very much for publishing this.  I was wondering, could you please translate the rest of the Peshitta Tanakh, and publish that?

_The Peshitta Holy Bible_, translated by David Bauscher
http://www.lulu.com/shop/http://www.lulu...08886.html
....the 39 Old Testament books and the 27 New Testament books....

The TANAK is the Torah (Law), Nabim (Prophets) and Kethubim (The Writings)- TaNaK.
I have already translated that. The Apocrypha is not part of the Hebrew canon, nor the Christian canon.
Hey, Chuck, how petty can you get? Who else do you know that's translated the entire Peshitta Old Testament as well as the NT?
Blessings,
Dave

(03-19-2019, 10:03 AM)Thirdwoe Wrote: I doubt he will...but it would be nice to have something to consult in English of the rest of the books. David is some type or Protestant (Baptist I think), so his view of the other books in the OT canon would be very low, if not a total rejection of them...plus they wouldn't bring in much money for him for his trouble. Maybe he could run the text of the other Peshitta OT books through his code finder program, find some interesting phrases, and be convinced of their worth and inspiration. I doubt he would try it.

Dave?

Hey Chuck,

TaNaK is Torah Nabim Kethubim -Law Prophets Writings in the Hebrew canon. No Apocrypha! Apocrypha is not canonical. I translated the entire TaNaK- 39 books. 
How petty can you get? Who else do you know that has translated the entire Old Testament and New Testament from Aramaic, or any other language, for that matter? 

Blessings,
Dave
Get my NT translations, books & articles at :
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://aramaicnt.com">http://aramaicnt.com</a><!-- m --> and Lulu.com
I also have articles at BibleCodeDigest.com
Codex Alexandrinus provides additional evidence that Christians in the first few centuries of Christianity utilized the 'deuterocanonical' OT books.

Codex Alexandrinus Table of Contents
http://symeon-anthony.info/BibleCanon/Al...rinus.html

===============================================================.
"The Apocrypha is not part of the Hebrew canon, nor the Christian canon"
Reasoning/evidence that "the Apocrypha is not part of... the Christian canon"?
When was "the Hebrew canon" formulated? (after Jesus died and rose?)
'Deuterocanonical' OT books appear in the Peshitta OT, LXX, Codex Vaticanus, Codex Sinaiticus, and Codex Alexandrinus.

"Who else do you know that's translated the entire Peshitta Old Testament as well as the NT?"
Lamsa translated most but not all of the Peshitta OT, since he didn't translate the Peshitta's 'deuterocanonical' OT books.
Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus provides evidence that Christians in the first few centuries of Christianity utilized the 'deuterocanonical' OT books of Wisdom and Sirach.

Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Ephraemi_Rescriptus
....however, only six books of the Greek Old Testament are represented. .... In the Old Testament, parts of Book of Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom, and Sirach survived.[12]
12: Würthwein Ernst (1988). Der Text des Alten Testaments, Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, p. 85.

========================================================.
"a number of those deuterocanonical books rejected by Protestants were originally written in Greek"
Are you aware of any evidence including linguistic evidence in support of that?

"They're not part of the Hebrew canon"
Do you think we should listen to the what-is-canonical views of people who rejected Jesus as being the long-promised Messiah/King?

The Formation of the Jewish Canon
https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/revi...ish-canon/
Outside factors, such as the rise of Christianity, probably played a part in moving Jewish authorities to define a canon.

The deuterocanonicals are part of an A.D. 382 canon:
Council of Rome
http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/deutero2.htm
"Now indeed we must treat of the divine Scriptures, what the universal Catholic Church accepts and what she ought to shun. The order of the Old Testament begins here: Genesis, one book; Exodus, one book; Leviticus, one book; Numbers, one book; Deuteronomy, one book; Joshua [Son of] Nave, one book; Judges, one book; Ruth, one book; Kings, four books [that is, 1 and 2 Samuel and 1 and 2 Kings]; Paralipomenon [Chronicles], two books; Psalms, one book; Solomon, three books: Proverbs, one book; Ecclesiastes, one book; Canticle of Canticles, one book; likewise Wisdom, one book; Ecclesiasticus, one book . . . . Likewise the order of the historical [books]: Job, one book; Tobit, one book; Esdras, two books [Ezra and Nehemiah]; Esther, one book; Judith, one book; Maccabees, two books" (Decree of Pope Damasus [A.D. 382]).

"the New Testament writers quote extensively from all the books in the Protestant canon minus five, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Ecclesiastes, and the Song of Solomon"

Do you agree with this?:
How to Defend the Deuterocanonicals
https://www.catholic.com/magazine/print-...canonicals
Though there are no quotes, the New Testament does make numerous allusions to the deuterocanonical books.  For one strong example, examine Hebrews 11:35:
“Women received their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release that they might rise again to a better life.”
Nowhere in the Protestant Old Testament can this story be found. One must look to a Catholic Bible to read the story in 2 Maccabees 7.

"I don't know why the Syriac Orthodox tradition, that puts such a high value on the Aramaic NT, wouldn't follow that tradition"
I don't understand.  The Peshitta OT has deuterocanonical books.  The Church of the East closed its canon before learning of 2 Peter, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, and Revelation.

"I'd like to see 2nd Peter axed by Evangelicals, and for very good reasons"
What are those reasons?

"a number of those deuterocanonical books rejected by Protestants were originally written in Greek"
Do you think any of the Peshitta OT's deuterocanonical books "were originally written in Greek"? If 'yes,' which ones?

My copy of the Dead Sea Scrolls Bible includes material from Jubilees, 1 Enoch, Sirach, The Epistle of Jeremiah, and Tobit. Which if any of those books do you think "were originally written in Greek"?
(03-31-2020, 01:44 AM)DavidFord Wrote: Codex Alexandrinus provides additional evidence that Christians in the first few centuries of Christianity utilized the 'deuterocanonical' OT books.

Codex Alexandrinus Table of Contents
http://symeon-anthony.info/BibleCanon/Al...rinus.html

===============================================================.
"The Apocrypha is not part of the Hebrew canon, nor the Christian canon"
Reasoning/evidence that "the Apocrypha is not part of... the Christian canon"?  
When was "the Hebrew canon" formulated? (after Jesus died and rose?)
'Deuterocanonical' OT books appear in the Peshitta OT, LXX, Codex Vaticanus, Codex Sinaiticus, and Codex Alexandrinus.

"Who else do you know that's translated the entire Peshitta Old Testament as well as the NT?"
Lamsa translated most but not all of the Peshitta OT, since he didn't translate the Peshitta's 'deuterocanonical' OT books.

"Deuterocanonical" is not canonical. Apocrypha is not canonical. Pseudopigrapha is not canonical. The Hebrew canon was settled long before Jesus' birth. It is called the TaNaK. 24 books as the Jews number them: "The form of this text that is authoritative for Rabbinic Judaism is known as the Masoretic Text(MT) and it consists of 24 books, while the translations divide essentially the same material into 39 books for the Protestant Bible." Have you looked at a Hebrew Bible? Every Hebrew Bible has the entire TaNaK- Torah, Prophets, Writings. Jesus never quoted anything but those books with the phrase- "it is written". The Jews rejected Yeshua in spite of the fact that He was the fulfillment of their accepted Hebrew Scriptures. They were not guilty because they rejected the Apocrypha as uninspired, but because they claimed to accept the TaNaK as the word of YHWH and yet rejected HIM when HE came to them in flesh.

I know and you know about Lamsa. I asked you who else do you know? Is there any one living you know who has translated the TaNaK from the Peshitta? BTW, Lamsa did not even translate the whole TaNaK from the Peshitta. He mixed a lot of KJV readings from the Hebrew Massoretic Bible in many passages where the Peshitta text differs from the Hebrew readings.
Your appeal to Maccabees is badly lacking as a quotation of scripture. It is not quoted at all. That text in Hebrews 11 may be an allusion to the history recorded in Maccabees, which I accept as true history. That in no way means Maccabees was held to be inspired scripture by Paul, or whoever wrote Hebrews. Just because Peshitta ms. Ambrosianus has the Apocrypha does not mean that the Apocrypha is God written scripture, any more than it means that Josephus' Wars, Book 6 is God written scripture, which also is contained in the same Peshitta Codex Ambrosianus.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://aramaicnt.com">http://aramaicnt.com</a><!-- m --> and Lulu.com
'"Deuterocanonical" is not canonical.  Apocrypha is not canonical"
The Roman Catholics consider all their books "canonical."
Ditto that for the Eastern Orthodox.

"The Hebrew canon was settled long before Jesus' birth"
Reference?

"The form of this text that is authoritative for Rabbinic Judaism is known as the Masoretic Text(MT)"
What is "Rabbinic Judaism"?   (Judaism as it was re-formulated following the utter destruction of Jerusalem and its temple in A.D. 70?)
When did the "Masoretic Text" take shape?  (around A.D. 900?)

"Have you looked at a Hebrew Bible?"  Yes.  I think I own 2 copies.

"Jesus never quoted anything but those books with the phrase- "it is written"."
Did Jesus ever allude to material contained in any deuterocanonical books?

"who has translated the TaNaK from the Peshitta?"
You, and Lamsa. Gorgias Press is coming out with translations of the Peshitta OT books, but I doubt it's being all done by 1 person.

"Lamsa.... mixed a lot of KJV readings from the Hebrew Massoretic Bible in many passages where the Peshitta text differs from the Hebrew readings"
Yuck.  Good to know.

"Your appeal to Maccabees is badly lacking as a quotation of scripture"
My quotation of someone talking about Maccabees didn't say Maccabees was quoted.

"Just because Peshitta ms. Ambrosianus has the Apocrypha does not mean that the Apocrypha is God written scripture, any more than it means that Josephus' Wars, Book 6 is God written scripture, which also is contained in the same Peshitta Codex Ambrosianus."
A·poc·ry·pha | əˈpäkrəfə |
plural noun [treated as singular or plural]
biblical or related writings not forming part of the accepted canon of Scripture.
• (apocrypha) writings or reports not considered genuine.
New Oxford American Dictionary
The apocrypha was not part of the canon of the early churches (1st four centuries), though they were recommended for reading. The Catholic Church did not include it officially into the canon until the 16th century- April 15,1546 Council of Trent. That is hardly a sound basis for the Old Testament canon. The Hebrew canon was settled as early as 400 BC by Ezra the Scribe. 3. Josephus (37-100 A.D), the Jewish historian also affirmed in his arguments in Contra Apion 1:7-8 the number of books in the Hebrew canon was numbered at 22, which according to Jewish numbering is the same as the 39 in the Protestant Old Testament. (See Chapter 5, Old Testament Canon)."Our books, those which are justly accredited, are but two and twenty and contain the record of all time. Contra Apion 1:7-8"4. Jewish tradition also taught in the Babylonian Talmud, the books in the Hebrew “Canon” are the identical 39 books, which are in both the Protestant and Catholic Bibles, to the exclusion of the Apocrypha. (See Talmud Babylon Baba Batra 14b) 5. Jerome (325-420 A.D.) The Biblical scholar of his day, and the translator of the Catholic Bible, the Latin Vulgate, clearly agreed with the Hebrew canon, being limited 39 books of the present Old Testament to the exclusion of the additional books of the Apocrypha.
"The apocrypha was not part of the canon of the early churches (1st four centuries), though they were recommended for reading"

Deuterocanonical books appear in the Peshitta OT, LXX, Codex Vaticanus, Codex Sinaiticus, Codex Alexandrinus, and Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus. How did readers of those compilations know that the deuterocanonical books they read therein _weren't_ canonical, but merely 'recommended reading'?

"The Catholic Church did not include it officially into the canon until the 16th century- April 15,1546 Council of Trent."

What's your response to this?:
The deuterocanonicals are part of an A.D. 382 canon:
Council of Rome
http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/deutero2.htm
"Now indeed we must treat of the divine Scriptures, what the universal Catholic Church accepts and what she ought to shun. The order of the Old Testament begins here: Genesis, one book; Exodus, one book; Leviticus, one book; Numbers, one book; Deuteronomy, one book; Joshua [Son of] Nave, one book; Judges, one book; Ruth, one book; Kings, four books [that is, 1 and 2 Samuel and 1 and 2 Kings]; Paralipomenon [Chronicles], two books; Psalms, one book; Solomon, three books: Proverbs, one book; Ecclesiastes, one book; Canticle of Canticles, one book; likewise Wisdom, one book; Ecclesiasticus, one book . . . . Likewise the order of the historical [books]: Job, one book; Tobit, one book; Esdras, two books [Ezra and Nehemiah]; Esther, one book; Judith, one book; Maccabees, two books" (Decree of Pope Damasus [A.D. 382]).

"The Hebrew canon was settled as early as 400 BC by Ezra the Scribe."

Reference? Is that canon the same as the Masoretic canon?

"3. Josephus (37-100 A.D), the Jewish historian also affirmed in his arguments in Contra Apion 1:7-8 the number of books in the Hebrew canon was numbered at 22, which according to Jewish numbering is the same as the 39 in the Protestant Old Testament. (See Chapter 5, Old Testament Canon). "Our books, those which are justly accredited, are but two and twenty and contain the record of all time. Contra Apion 1:7-8"4."

When was that canon finalized? (after Jesus' death and resurrection?)

"Jewish tradition also taught in the Babylonian Talmud, the books in the Hebrew “Canon” are the identical 39 books, which are in both the Protestant and Catholic Bibles, to the exclusion of the Apocrypha. (See Talmud Babylon Baba Batra 14b)"

What's the date of that?
It's bizarre to appeal to a virulently anti-Christian group of individuals, who vehemently deny that God had anything to do with the appearance of the New Testament, for guidance as to what's in the Old Testament.

Babylonian Talmud: Tractate Baba Bathra
Baba Bathra 14b
http://www.come-and-hear.com/bababathra/...ra_14.html
Our Rabbis taught: The order of the Prophets is, Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Isaiah, and the Twelve Minor Prophets....

from _The Jewish Religion: Its Influence Today_ by Elizabeth Dilling
http://www.come-and-hear.com/dilling/chapt03.html
The supreme hatred of Talmudic Judaism is reserved for and directed against the hated "adherers to the text" of Scripture who are, thus, accused of spurning the words of the Pharisee "Sages," as enshrined in the Babylonian Talmud.
Talmudic Anti-Christianity
The ultimate object of hatred in Talmudic Judaism is Christ, and the targets of Talmudic hatred are not just Gentile non-Jews, "the people who are like an ass — slaves who are considered the property of the master" (Talmud, Kethuboth 111a). Of these non-Jews, the Christians are most insanely hated and loathed because their doctrines are the opposite of every Talmudic doctrine. They rank not just as animals, like the rest of non-Talmudic humanity, but almost as vermin, to be eradicated. Language in the Talmud is virtually exhausted to find foul and hated names for Christians.

"5. Jerome (325-420 A.D.) The Biblical scholar of his day, and the translator of the Catholic Bible, the Latin Vulgate, clearly agreed with the Hebrew canon, being limited 39 books of the present Old Testament to the exclusion of the additional books of the Apocrypha."
Do you think Jesus alluded to 4 Ezra?
Do you think any New Testament writers alluded to 4 Ezra?

New Testament Allusions to Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha 
http://www.bombaxo.com/biblical-stuff/ap...epigrapha/
4 EZRA
3.21-26: For the first Adam, burdened with an evil heart, transgressed and was overcome, as were also all who were descended from him. Thus the disease became permanent; the law was in the hearts of the people along with its evil root; but what was good departed, and the evil remained. So the time passed and the years were completed, and you raised up for yourself a servant, named David. You commanded him to build a city for your name, and there to offer you oblations from what is yours. This was done for many years; but the inhabitants of the city transgressed, in everything doing just as Adam and all his descendants had done, for they also had the evil heart.
4.8: perhaps you would have said to me, ‘I never went down into the deep, nor as yet into Hades, neither did I ever ascend into heaven.’
4.35-37: Did not the souls of the righteous in their chambers ask about these matters, saying, ‘How long are we to remain here? And when will the harvest of our reward come?’ And the archangel Jeremiel answered and said, ‘When the number of those like yourselves is completed; for he has weighted the age in the balance, and measured the times by measure, and numbered the times by number; and he will not more or arouse them until that measure is fulfilled.’
6.25: It shall be that whoever remains after all that I have foretold to you shall be saved and shall see my salvation and the end of the world.
7.6-14: Another example: There is a city built and set on a plain, and it is full of all good things; but the entrance to it is narrow and set in a precipitous place, so that there is fire on the right hand and deep water on the left. There is only one path lying between them, that is, between the fire and the water, so that only one person can walk on the path. If now the city is given to someone as an inheritance, how will the heir receive the inheritance unless by passing through the appointed danger?”
I said, “That is right, lord.” He said to me, “So also is Israel’s portion. For I made the world for their sake, and when Adam transgressed my statutes, what had been made was judged. And so the entrances of this world were made narrow and sorrowful and toilsome; they are few and evil, full of dangers and involved in great hardships. But the entrances of the greater world are broad and safe, and yield the fruit of immortality. Therefore unless the living pass through the difficult and futile experiences, they can never receive those things that have been reserved for them.
7.11: For I made the world for their sake, and when Adam transgressed my statutes, what had been made was judged.
7.14: Therefore unless the living pass through the difficult and futile experiences, they can never receive those things that have been reserved for them.
7.36: The pit of torment shall appear, and opposite it shall be the place of rest; and the furnace of hell shall be disclosed, and opposite it the paradise of delight.
7.72: For this reason, therefore, those who live on earth shall be tormented, because though they had understanding, they committed iniquity; and though they received the commandments, they did not keep them; and though they obtained the law, they dealt unfaithfully with what they received.
7.75: I answered and said, “If I have found favor in your sight, O Lord, show this also to your servant: whether after death, as soon as everyone of us yields up the soul, we shall be kept in rest until those times come when you will renew the creation, or whether we shall be tormented at once?”
7.77: For you have a treasure of works stored up with the Most High, but it will not be shown to you until the last times.
7.113: But the day of judgment will be the end of this age and the beginning of the immortal age to come, in which corruption has passed away,
7.118-119: O Adam, what have you done? For though it was you who sinned, the fall was not yours alone, but ours also who are your descendants. For what good is it to us, if an immortal time has been promised to us, but we have done deeds that bring death?
8.3: Many have been created, but only a few shall be saved.
8.41: For just as the farmer sows many seeds in the ground and plants a multitude of seedlings, and yet not all that have been sown will come up in due season, and not all that were planted will take root; so also those who have been sown in the world will not all be saved.
8.60: but those who were created have themselves defiled the name of him who made them, and have been ungrateful to him who prepared life for them now.
9.31-37: For I sow my law in you, and it shall bring forth fruit in you, and you shall be glorified through it forever.’ But though our ancestors received the law, they did not keep it and did not observe the statutes; yet the fruit of the law did not perish–for it could not, because it was yours. Yet those who received it perished, because they did not keep what had been sown in them. Now this is the general rule that, when the ground has received seed, or the sea a ship, or any dish food or drink, and when it comes about that what was sown or what was launched or what was put in is destroyed, they are destroyed, but the things that held them remain; yet with us it has not been so. For we who have received the law and sinned will perish, as well as our hearts that received it; the law, however, does not perish but survives in its glory.
9.37: the law, however, does not perish but survives in its glory.
10.9: Now ask the earth, and she will tell you that it is she who ought to mourn over so many who have come into being upon her.
12.42: For of all the prophets you alone are left to us, like a cluster of grapes from the vintage, and like a lamp in a dark place, and like a haven for a ship saved from a storm.
13.30-32: And bewilderment of mind shall come over those who inhabit the earth. They shall plan to make war against one another, city against city, place against place, people against people, and kingdom against kingdom. When these things take place and the signs occur that I showed you before, then my Son will be revealed, whom you saw as a man coming up from the sea.
1 MACCABEES
Do you think any New Testament writers alluded to 2 Baruch?

New Testament Allusions to Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha
2 BARUCH
14.8-9: O Lord, my Lord, who can understand your judgment? Or who can explore the depth of your way? Or who can discern the majesty of your path? Or who can discern your incomprehensible counsel? Or who of those who are born has ever discovered the beginning and the end of your wisdom?
14.13: Therefore, they leave this world without fear and are confident of the world which you have promised to them with an expectation full of joy.
15.8: For this world is to them a struggle and an effort with much trouble. And that accordingly which shall come, a crown with great glory.
21.13: For if only this life exists which everyone possesses here, nothing could be more bitter than this.
23.4: For when Adam sinned and death was decreed against those who were to be born, the multitude of those who would be born was numbered. And for that number a place was prepared where the living ones might live and where the dead might be preserved.
32.6: For greater than the two evils will be the trial when the Mighty One will renew his creation.
48.8: With signs of fear and threat you command the flames, and they change into winds. And this the word you bring to life that which does not exist, and with great power you hold that which has not yet come.
48.22: In you we have put our trust, because, behold, your Law is with us, and we know that we do not fall as long as we keep your statutes.
51.3: Also, as for the glory of those who proved to be righteous on account of my law, those who possessed intelligence in their life, and those who planted the root of wisdom in their heart-- their splendor will then be glorified by transformations, and the shape of their face will be changed into the light of their beauty so that they may acquire and receive the undying world which is promised to them.
54.10: Blessed is my mother among those who bear, and praised among women is she who bore me.
54.15: For although Adam sinned first and has brought death upon all who were not in his own time, yet each of them who has been born from him has prepared for himself the coming torment.
54.17-18: But now, turn yourselves to destruction, you unrighteous ones who are living now, for you will be visited suddenly, since you have once rejected the understanding of the Most High. For his works have not taught you, nor has the artful work of his creation which has existed always persuaded you.
57.2: For at that time the unwritten law was in force among them, and the works of the commandments were accomplished at that time, and the belief in the coming judgment was brought about, and the hope of the world which will be renewed was built at that time, and the promise of the life that will come later was planted.
59.6: the suppression of wrath, the abundance of long-suffering, the truth of judgment

======================================================================.
Do you think 2 Peter 2:6 derives from familiarity with 3 Maccabees 2:5?

2 Peter 2:6 (YLT)
https://biblehub.com/ylt/2_peter/2.htm
and the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah having turned to ashes, with an overthrow did condemn, 
an example to those about to be impious having set [them];

2 Peter 2:6 (Berean Literal)
https://biblehub.com/blb/2_peter/2.htm
and He condemned _the_ cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to destruction,^b having reduced _them_ to ashes, having set an example of what is coming on the ungodly;^c
b:  WH _condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah_
c:  NE, NA, BYZ, and TR _those who were to be ungodly_

3 MACCABEES .... [UBS4] 2.5: 
You consumed with fire and sulfur the people of Sodom who acted arrogantly, who were notorious for their vices; 
and you made them an example to those who should come afterward.
(10-30-2019, 01:46 AM)DavidFord Wrote: David, I noticed your notes for Col 3:6, 7.  Do you believe in Universal Restoration i.e. are you a universalist?
I've posted pro-UR material at
https://tentmaker.org/forum/judgement-and-punishment/

I am. So is the Church of the East traditionally. See the theology of Theodore of Mopseustia and others of the Aramaean church tradition such as Aphraates and Ephraim the Syrian.

2 Esdras loses me after 1:1 where the writer claims to be Ezra the prophet who lived in the days of King Josiah.
Baruch does the same in 1:1 and following when he claims to be Baruch the scribe in the days of King Jeconiah in the Babylonian captivity. No one believes these books were written in the days of King Josiah or of King Jeconiah. These books are called apocryphal for a reason: "• (apocrypha) writings or reports not considered genuine."- Oxford New World Collegiate Dictionary
(05-18-2020, 07:21 PM)gbausc Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 01:46 AM)DavidFord Wrote: David, I noticed your notes for Col 3:6, 7.  Do you believe in Universal Restoration i.e. are you a universalist?
I've posted pro-UR material at
https://tentmaker.org/forum/judgement-and-punishment/

I am. So is the Church of the East traditionally. See the theology of Theodore of Mopseustia and others of the Aramaean church tradition such as Aphraates and Ephraim the Syrian.

2 Esdras loses me after 1:1 where the writer claims to be Ezra the prophet who lived in the days of King Josiah.
Baruch does the same in 1:1 and following when he claims to be Baruch the scribe in the days of King Jeconiah in the Babylonian captivity. No one believes these books were written in the days of King Josiah or of King Jeconiah. These books are called apocryphal for a reason: "• (apocrypha) writings or reports not considered genuine."- Oxford New World Collegiate Dictionary

How did you come to be a universalist?
Do you think King David wrote all the Psalms attributed to him by the:  LXX? Vulgate? Masoretic?  Peshitta?