Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
"Jesus made it clear that he only came for his own people"
Including here?:

Matthew 28 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English)
https://biblehub.com/aramaic-plain-engli...hew/28.htm
16 But the eleven disciples went to Galilee to the mountain where Yeshua had appointed them. 17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some of them doubted. 18 And Yeshua spoke with them and he said to them, "All authority has been given to me in Heaven and in the earth; in the manner in which my Father has sent me, I am sending you." 19 "Therefore *go disciple all the nations and baptize them in the name of The Father and The Son and The Spirit of Holiness."* 20 "And instruct them to keep everything whatever I have commanded you, and behold, I am with you every day, even unto the end of time. Amen"

Luke 24 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English)
https://biblehub.com/aramaic-plain-english/luke/24.htm
45 Then he opened their mind to understand the scriptures. 46 And he said to them, "Thus it is written: and thus it was right for The Messiah to suffer and to arise from the grave the third day, 47 And that *conversion to the forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in his name in all the nations,* and the beginning would be at Jerusalem. 48 And you are witnesses of these things. 49 And I shall send upon you The Promise of my Father; but you stay in the city of Jerusalem until you shall be clothed in power from on high."

Mark 16 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English)
https://biblehub.com/aramaic-plain-english/mark/16.htm
14 But afterward, he appeared to the eleven when they reclined at a meal and he condemned the lack of their faith and the callousness of their heart, because they had not believed them who had seen him before. 15 And he said to them, *"Go to the entire world and preach my Good News in all creation."* 16 "Whoever believes and is baptized has life, and whoever does not believe is condemned." 17 "But these signs will accompany these who believe: in my name they will cast out demons, and they will speak in new languages." 18 "And they will take up snakes, and if they should drink lethal poison, it will not harm them, and they will place their hands on the sick and they will be healed."

"contradiction to his initial sentence. He says he only came for his own"

John 1 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English)
9 For That One was The Light of Truth, which enlightens every person that comes into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world existed by his hand, and the world knew him not. 11 *He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But those that received him, to them he gave authority to become the sons of God,* even to them that believe on his Name, 13 Those who had not been born of blood, nor of the desire of the flesh, nor of the desire of a man, but of God.

"He says he only came for his own, but then tells his Jewish disciples to go into the world and make other disciples of all the nations"
The scope of Jesus' instructions to his students about who they were to go to expanded over time. God's ultimate plan was for the God-man Messiah to be ruler over not just Israel, but over Samaria and all the nations of the earth.

Matthew 10:5 (NIV) These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: *"Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans.*

John 4 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English)
39 Many Samaritans from that city believed in him because of the woman's saying which she testified: "He told me everything that I have done." 40 And *when those Samaritans came to him, they requested of him that he would stay with them, and he was with them for two days.* 41 And many believed in him because of his word. 42 And they were saying to that woman, "Now it is not because of your word that we believe in him, for we have heard and we know that This One is truly The Messiah, The Lifegiver of the world."

Acts 8:25 (NIV) After they had further proclaimed the word of the Lord and testified about Jesus, Peter and John returned to Jerusalem, *preaching the gospel in many Samaritan villages.*

Acts 11 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English), https://biblehub.com/aramaic-plain-english/acts/11.htm
1 And it was heard by the Apostles and by the brethren who were in Judea that Gentiles had also received the word of God. 2 And when Shimeon [i.e. Simon Peter] came up to Jerusalem, those who were of the circumcision were contending with him, 3 As they were saying that he had entered into the presence of the uncircumcised and had eaten with them. 4 And Shimeon interjected, in order to say to them: ....
15 And as I was continuing to speak there, The Spirit of Holiness rested upon them as when upon us from the first. 16 And I was reminded of the word of Our Lord, which he had said: 'Yohannan baptized in water, but you shall be baptized in The Spirit of Holiness.' 17 *If God therefore has equally given The Gift to those Gentiles who have believed in Our Lord Yeshua The Messiah, as also to us, who am I that I would be qualified to forbid God?"* 18 And when they heard these words, they were silent; and then they praised God and they were saying, *"Perhaps God has given a restoration to life to the Gentiles also."*

Who or what is the identity of the rock spoken of here?:

Daniel 2 (NIV), https://biblehub.com/niv/daniel/2.htm
34 While you were watching, a rock was cut out, but not by human hands. It struck the statue on its feet of iron and clay and smashed them. 35 Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver and the gold were all broken to pieces and became like chaff on a threshing floor in the summer. The wind swept them away without leaving a trace. But *the rock that struck the statue became a huge mountain and filled the whole earth.* 36 “This was the dream, and now we will interpret it to the king. ....
44 “In the time of those kings, *the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed,* nor will it be left to another people. *It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end, but it will itself endure forever.* 45 This is the meaning of the vision of the rock cut out of a mountain, but not by human hands—a rock that broke the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver and the gold to pieces. “The great God has shown the king what will take place in the future. The dream is true and its interpretation is trustworthy.”

"I came not except for the lost sheep of Israel"
Indeed.

Matthew 15 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English)
21 But Yeshua went out from there and he came to the borders of Tsur and of Tsidon. 22 And behold *a Canaanitess woman* from those borders came forth crying out and she said, "Have pity on me my lord, son of David, my daughter is badly driven by a demon." 23 But he did not give her an answer, and his disciples came and begged him, and they were saying, "Send her away, for she is crying after us." 24 But he answered and said to them, *"I am not sent except to the sheep that have strayed from the house of Israel."* 25 But she came and worshiped him [better: bowed down to him, maybe in worship] and she said, "My Lord, help me." 26 He said to her, "It is not good to take the children's bread and cast it to the dogs." 27 But she said, "Yes, my lord, even the dogs eat from the crumbs that fall from their master's table and they live." 28 But then Yeshua said to her, "O woman, great is your faith; it will be done for you as you will." And her daughter was healed from that moment.

Mark 7 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English), https://biblehub.com/aramaic-plain-english/mark/7.htm
24 Yeshua arose from there and came to the coast of Tyre and of Sidon, and he entered a certain house and he did not want anyone to know him and he could not be hidden. 25 For immediately a certain woman heard about him, whose daughter had a foul spirit, and she came falling before his feet. 26 But she was *a pagan woman from Phoenicia of Syria,* and she was begging him to cast out the demon from her daughter. 27 And Yeshua said to her, *"Let the children be filled first, for it is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs."* 28 But she answered and said to him, "Yes, my lord, but even the dogs from under the table eat the children's crumbs." 29 Yeshua said to her, "Go; because of this saying the demon has gone out from your daughter." 30 And she went to her house and found her daughter lying in bed, and the demon had been cast out of her.

"He did indeed come to his own people first"
Some of whom accepted him as being the promised Messiah, while the bulk of his own people rejected him (I'm looking at Zechariah 12:10-11, 13:1-2, and especially 13:7-9. Chapter 14 looks interesting.)

Matthew 23 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English)
36 Amen, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation. 37 Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you that murdered The Prophets and stoned those who were sent to it! How many times have I desired to gather your children, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing! 38 Behold, your house is left to you desolate!

"He did indeed come to his own people first, but he also always showed a willingness to engage with gentiles"
Jesus also told the subversive story about the good _Samaritan_, and mentioned:

Luke 4 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English), https://biblehub.com/aramaic-plain-english/luke/4.htm
24 But he said, "Assuredly, I say to you, there is not a Prophet who is received in his town." 25 "For truly I say to you that many widows were in Israel in the days of Elijah the Prophet, when the heavens were shut for three years and six months, and there was great hunger in all the land." 26 "And *Elijah was not sent to one of them except to Tsarepta of Tsidon unto a widow woman."* 27 "And there were many lepers among Israel in the days of Elisha the Prophet and *not one of them was purified except Naaman the Syrian."* 28 And when they who were in the synagogue heard these things, they were all filled with rage. 29 And they arose and they thrust him outside of the city and they brought him unto the ridge of the mountain on which the city was built to cast him from the precipice. 30 But he passed through the midst of them and he departed.

/////////////////////////
Romans 3 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English, biblehub)
21 But now the justice of God has been revealed without The Written Law and The Written Law and The Prophets testify of it. 22 But *the righteousness of God is by the faith of Yeshua The Messiah unto every person, also upon every person who believes in him,* for there is no distinction, 23 Because *all of them have sinned and are deprived of the glory of God, 24 And are made right by grace* without charge and by the redemption that exists in Yeshua The Messiah, 25 This One whom God preordained as the atonement, by the faith of his blood, for the sake of our sins which we had formerly sinned, 26 In the space that God in his patience has given to us, for the demonstration of his justice which is in this time, that he would be The Just One and would by justice declare righteous the one who is in the faith of Our Lord Yeshua The Messiah.
27 Where is pride, therefore? It has been eliminated with him. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. 28 We determine therefore that by faith a man is made righteous and not by the works of The Written Law. 29 *Is he The God of the Jews only? Is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also.* 30 Because *God is One, who declares the circumcision righteous by faith and also the uncircumcision by faith.*

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 08-13-2020, 11:08 PM