Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think John 19:36 originally had "which says"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "which says."

John 19:36 - For these things have happened so that the Scripture (word) might be fulfilled, which says, "No bone in Him will be crushed!"
       that is to say - this text is part of the reading of the Aramean Peshitta, but is missing from the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Diatessaron 52:20
This he did, that the scripture might be fulfiled, which saith, A bone shall not be broken in him; and the scripture also which saith, Let them look upon him whom they pierced.

===================================
Do you think John 19:41 originally had:
"Jesus"?
"he"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Jesus."

John 19:41 - In the place where Jesus was crucified was a court garden and in the court garden a new tomb in which no one had ever been buried.
       Jesus - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR is 'He'.

Diatessaron 52:33
And there was in the place where Jesus was crucified a garden; and in that garden a new tomb cut out in a rock^9 wherein was never man yet laid. 
^9:  Mk 15,46.  Lit. _a stone_.

Do you think John 19:42 originally had:
"because the Sabbath"?
"because of the Preparation of the Jews"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "because the Sabbath."

John 19:42 - There they put Jesus, because the Sabbath would begin and because the tomb was close.
       because the Sabbath would begin - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "Because of the Preparation of the Jews."

Diatessaron 52:34
And they left Jesus there because the sabbath had come in, and because the tomb was near. 

John 19:42 
(Berean Literal) So on account of the Preparation of the Jews, because the tomb was near, they laid Jesus there.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And they laid Yeshua there because the Sabbath was approaching and because the tomb was nearby.
(Young's Literal) there, therefore, because of the preparation of the Jews, because the tomb was nigh, they laid Jesus.

Do you think John 20:2 originally had:
"our Lord"?  "Lord"?
"I don't know"?  "we don't know"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "our Lord" and "I don't know."

John 20:2 - She ran away and came to Simeon Kifa and the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and said to them, "They have taken our Lord out of the grave, and I do not know where they have put Him."
       our Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.
       I don't know - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: 'we don't know'.

Diatessaron 53:9
And Mary hastened, and came to Simon Cephas, and to that other disciple whom Jesus loved, and said unto them, They have taken our Lord from the sepulchre, and I know not where they have laid him. 

John 20:2
(Berean Literal) So she runs and comes to Simon Peter and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and she says to them, "They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him."
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And she ran and came to Shimeon Kaypha and to that other disciple whom Yeshua had loved, and she said to them, “They have taken away our Lord from the tomb, and I don't know where they have laid him.”
(Young's Literal) she runneth, therefore, and cometh unto Simon Peter, and unto the other disciple whom Jesus was loving, and saith to them, 'They took away the Lord out of the tomb, and we have not known where they laid him.'

Do you think John 20:3 originally had:
"Simon"?
"Kifa"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Simon."

John 20:3 - Simeon and the other disciple went outside and came to the tomb.
       Simeon - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Kifa' (‹Kefa'›).

Diatessaron 53:10
And Simon went out, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre.

Do you think John 20:4 originally had:
"Simon"?
"Kifa"?

John 20:4 - They ran together, but that (other) disciple walked ahead of Simeon and was the first to reach the grave.
       Simeon - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Kifa' (‹'Kefa'›).

Diatessaron 53:11
And they hastened both together: and that disciple outran Simon, and came first to the sepulchre;

Do you think John 20:6 originally had:
"Simon"?
"Simon Kifa"?
"also Simeon Kifa"?

John 20:6 - Simeon came after him and entered the tomb and saw (also) the linen cloths.
       Simeon - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: 'Simeon Kifa'. Only in the reading of the Greek NA28 does the word still contain the word 'also': 'Also Simeon Kifa'

Diatessaron 53:13
And Simon came after him, and entered into the sepulchre, and saw the linen laid; 

John 20:6
(Berean Literal) Then Simon Peter also comes, following him, and he entered into the tomb and sees the linen cloths lying there,
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) Then Shimeon came after him and entered the tomb, gazing at the linens where they were lying,
(Young's Literal) Simon Peter, therefore, cometh, following him, and he entered into the tomb, and beholdeth the linen clothes lying,

Do you think John 20:12 originally had:
"his pillow"?  "the head"?
"his feet"?  "the feet"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "his pillow" and "his feet."

John 20:12 - and saw two angels sitting (clothed) in white, one by his pillows and one by his feet, where the body of Jesus had been lying.
       his pillows ... his feet - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the head ... the feet'.

Diatessaron 53:19
and she saw two angels sitting in white raiment, one of them toward his pillow, and the other toward his feet, where the body of Jesus had been laid. 

John 20:12
(Berean Literal Bible) and she sees two angels in white sitting, one at the head and one at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And she saw two Angels in white sitting, one at his pillow, and one at the foot, where the body of Yeshua had been laid.
(Young's Literal) and beholdeth two messengers in white, sitting, one at the head, and one at the feet, where the body of Jesus had been laid. 

Do you think John 20:15 originally had:
"my lord"?
"lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my lord."

John 20:15 - Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you crying? Who are you looking for?” She thought it was the gardener and said to Him, "My lord, if you have taken him, tell me (then) where you have put Him, (then) I will take Him away."
       my lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'lord'.

Diatessaron 53:22
Jesus said unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? And she supposed him _to be_ the gardener, and said, My lord, if thou hast taken him, tell me where thou hast laid him, that I may go and take him.

John 20:15 
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/john/20-15.htm
(Berean Literal) Jesus says to her, "Woman, why do you weep? Whom do you seek?" Thinking that it is the gardener, she says to Him, "Sir [Greek:  Kyrie/ Κύριε/ Sir/lord], if you have carried Him off, tell me where you have laid Him, and I will take Him away."
(Young's Literal) Jesus saith to her, 'Woman, why dost thou weep? whom dost thou seek;' she, supposing that he is the gardener, saith to him, 'Sir, if thou didst carry him away, tell me where thou didst lay him, and I will take him away;'

(Murdock) Jesus said to her: Woman, why weepest thou ? and, whom dost thou seek? And she supposed that he was the gardener: and she said to him: My lord [Aramaic:  Mri:  my lord], if thou hast borne him away, tell me where thou hast laid him, [and] I will go and take him away.
(KJV) Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.

Do you think John 20:18 originally had:
"our Lord"?
"the Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "our Lord."

John 20:18 - Mary Magdalene went out and told the disciples that she had seen our Lord and that He had told her this.
       our Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 53:31
And then came Mary Magdalene, and announced to the disciples that she had seen our Lord, and that he had said that unto her.

John 20:18 
(Berean Literal) Mary Magdalene comes bringing word to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord," and that He had said these things to her.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And Maryam Magdalitha came and announced to the disciples, “I have seen Our Lord”, and that he had said these things to her.
(Young's Literal) Mary the Magdalene cometh, telling to the disciples that she hath seen the Lord, and that these things he said to her.

Do you think John 20:21 originally had:
"my Father"?
"the Father"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Father."

John 20:21 - Again Jesus said to them, "Peace be with you! As my Father has sent Me, I also send you. "
       my Father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Father'.

Diatessaron 54:15
And Jesus said unto them again, Peace be with you: as my Father hath sent me, I also send you.

Do you think John 20:25 originally had:
"the disciples"?  "the other disciples"?
"our Lord"?  "the Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "the disciples" and "our Lord."

John 20:25 - The disciples said to him, "We have seen our Lord." But he said to them, "I will not believe (it) unless I see in his hands the scars of the nails and put my fingers in them and put my hand in his side."
       the disciples - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the other disciples'.

Diatessaron 54:18
The disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen our Lord. But he said unto them, If I do not see in his hands the places of the nails, and put on them my fingers, and pass my hand over his side, I will not believe.

John 20:25 
(Berean Literal) So the other disciples were saying to him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the mark of the nails, and put my finger into the mark of the nails, and put my hands into His side, I will never believe."
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And the disciples were saying to him, “We have seen Our Lord”, but he said to them, “Unless I see in his hands the places of the nails and I shall put my fingers in them, and reach my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
(Young's Literal) the other disciples, therefore, said to him, 'We have seen the Lord;' and he said to them, 'If I may not see in his hands the mark of the nails, and may put my finger to the mark of the nails, and may put my hand to his side, I will not believe.'

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 06-20-2020, 05:39 PM