Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think the sense of John 14:6 is best rendered with:
"I am the Way the Truth and the Life"?
"I AM the Way the Truth and the Life"?
“I AM the true and living Way"?

Do you think John 14:6 originally had:
"my Father"?
"the Father"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Father."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him,
“I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life.
No one comes to my Father except through Me.
the Way, the Truth and the Life - these words can also be translated as: 'I am the true and living Way', because here we use a figure of speech called: 'hendiadys', in this case actually: hendiatris because two resp. three nouns are used to indicate one 'business'. It is a figure of speech that is common in OT and NT. In the NT, for example, also in Jh. 1:9, 14, 17, Jh. 6:32 and Jh. 15:1.
my Father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Father'.

Diatessaron 45:34
Jesus said unto him,
I am the way, and the truth, and the life:
and no man cometh unto my Father, but through me.

John 14:6
(Murdock) Jesus said to him:
I am [Aramaic: ana ana: I I: I AM] the way, and truth, and life:
no one cometh unto my Father, but by me.
(Lamsa) Jesus said to him,
I am the way, and the truth, and the life;
no man comes to my Father except by me.
(KJV) Jesus saith unto him,
I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

===================================
Do you think John 14:8 originally had:
"our Lord"?
"the Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "our Lord."

John 14:8 - Philip said to Him, "Our Lord, show us the Father, that is enough for us!"
Our Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Lord'.

Diatessaron 45:36
Philip said unto him, Our Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

Do you think John 14:9 originally had:
"all this time"?
"such a long time"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "all this time."

John 14:9 - Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you all this time and you still do not know Me, Philip? Whoever has seen Me has seen the Father. How (can you) say, "Show us the Father!"?
all this time - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: 'such a long time'.

Diatessaron 45:37
Jesus said unto him, Have I been all this time with you, and dost thou not know me, Philip? whosoever hath seen me hath seen the Father; how then sayest thou, Shew us the Father?

John 14:9
(Etheridge) Jeshu saith to him, All this time have I been with you,
and hast thou not known me, Philipé? He who me seeth, seeth the Father; and how sayest thou, Show us the Father ?
(Murdock) Jesus said to him: Have I been all this time with you,
and hast thou not known me, Philip? He that seeth me, seeth the Father: and how sayest thou, Show us the Father?
(KJV) Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you,
and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

Do you think John 14:10 originally had:
"the words I speak"? "the words I speak to you"?
"these works"? "his works"? "the works"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "the words I speak" and "these works."

John 14:10 - Do you not believe that I am in my Father and my Father is in me? The words I speak I speak not of Myself, but my Father who dwells in Me, He makes these works.
The words I speak - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "The words I speak to you."
these works - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28 reads "his works" and the reading of the Greek MHT and TR reads "the works".

Diatessaron 45:38
Believest thou not that I am in my Father, and my Father in me? and the saying that I say, I say not of myself: but my Father who dwelleth in me, he doeth these deeds.

John 14:10
(Berean Literal) Do you not believe that I am in the Father,
and the Father is in Me?
The words that I speak to you,
I do not speak from Myself;
but the Father dwelling in Me does His works.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) “Do you not believe that I am in my Father
and my Father in me?
The words which I am speaking,
I am not speaking from myself,
but my Father who dwells within me, he does these works.”
(Young's Literal) Believest thou not that I am in the Father,
and the Father is in me?
the sayings that I speak to you,
from myself I speak not,
and the Father who is abiding in me, Himself doth the works;

Do you think John 14:11 originally had:
"my Father... my Father"?
"the Father... the Father"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Father... my Father."

John 14:11 - Believe me that I am in my Father and my Father is in me, or else believe me for the works themselves.
my Father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR in this verse reads twice: 'the Father'.

Diatessaron 45:39
Believe that I am in my Father, and my Father in me: or else believe for the sake of the deeds.

Do you think John 14:13 originally had:
"his Son"? "the Son"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "his Son."

John 14:13 - and whatever you ask in my name, I will do for you, that the Father may be glorified in his Son.
his Son - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Son'.

Diatessaron 45:41
And what ye shall ask in my name, I shall do unto you, that the Father may be glorified in his Son.

Do you think John 14:22 originally had:
"my Lord"? "Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Lord."

John 14:22 - Judas, not the one of Iscariot, said to Him, "My Lord, how is it that You will reveal Hisself to us and not to the world?"
My Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 46:2
Judas (not Iscariot) said unto him, My Lord, what is the purpose of thy intention to shew thyself to us, and not to the world?

Do you think John 14:26 originally had:
"my Father"? "the Father"?

John 14:26 - But the Atoner, the Holy Spirit, who my Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you everything I have told you.
Reconciler - literally in Aramaic: "the Reconciler of the accursed." See the note at Jh. 14:16.
my Father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Father'.

Diatessaron 46:6
But the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, whom my Father will send in my name, he will teach you everything, and he will bring to your remembrance all that I say unto you.

Do you think John 14:28 originally had:
"the Father... my Father"?

"you would be glad that"?
"you would be glad that I said that"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Father... my Father" and "would you be glad that."

John 14:28 - You have heard that I said to you, "I will go and come (again) to you!". If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced that I go to my Father, because my Father is greater than Me!
would you be glad that ... - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and the Greek NA28. The Greek MHT and TR read: "Would you be glad that I said that ..."

Diatessaron 46:8
Ye heard that I said unto you, that I go away, and come unto you. If ye loved me,
ye would rejoice, that I go away to my Father:
for my Father is greater than I.

John 14:28
(Berean Literal) You heard that I said to you, 'I am going away and I am coming to you.' If you loved Me,
you would have rejoiced that I am going to the Father,
because the Father is greater than I.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) “You have heard that I said to you, 'I am going away, and I am coming to you'; if you had loved me,
you would have rejoiced that I am going to join my Father,
for my Father is greater than I.”
(Young's Literal) ye heard that I said to you -- I go away, and I come unto you; if ye did love me,
ye would have rejoiced that I said -- I go on to the Father,
because my Father is greater than I.

Do you think John 14:31 originally had:

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Father... my Father."

John 14:31 - that the world may know that I love my Father and have done as my Father commanded me. Get up, let's get out of here.”

Diatessaron 46:11
but that the world may know that I love my Father, and as my Father charged me, so I do.

John 14:31
(Berean Literal) But that the world may know that I love the Father,
and as the Father has commanded Me, thus I do.
Rise up, let us go from here.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) But that the world may know that I love my Father,
and just as my Father has taught me, so I have done.
Rise up, let us depart from here.”
(Young's Literal) but that the world may know that I love the Father,
and according as the Father gave me command so I do;
arise, we may go hence.

Do you think John 15:8 originally had:

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "the Father."

John 15:8 - Here the Father is glorified: that you bear much fruit and that you are my disciples.
the Father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'my Father'. ....

Diatessaron 46:24
And herein is the Father glorified, that ye may give much fruit; and ye shall be my disciples.

Do you think John 15:9 originally had:

John 15:9 - As my Father loved Me, I also loved you. Stay in My love.

Diatessaron 46:25
And as my Father loved me, I loved you also: abide in my love.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 06-17-2020, 01:05 AM