Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Re: John 12:50, when Jesus originally spoke in Aramaic "His commandments are eternal life," how is that remark best rendered in English?

Do you think John 12:50 originally had:
"my Father"? 
"the Father"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Father ."

John 12:50 - and I know that his commandments are Eternal Life. Therefore, what I speak, I speak as my Father said to me. "
       life - the Aramaic word 'khaia' in the Peshitta is always a plural word but is usually understood as a singular: life. The question is whether it is not really some sort of superlative: "fullness of life."
       my Father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Father'.

Diatessaron 41:15
and I know that his commandment is eternal life. The things that I say now, as my Father hath said unto me, even so I say.

===================================
Do you think John 13:1 originally had:
"his Father"?
"the Father"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "his Father."

John 13:1 - Before the Feast of the Passing (sacrifice), when Jesus knew that his hour had come that He would leave this world to his Father, He loved those who were in the world, and loved them till the end.
       his Father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Father'.

Diatessaron 44:11
And before the feast of the passover, Jesus knew that the hour was arrived for his departure from this world unto his Father; and he loved his own in this world, and to the last he loved them. 

Do you think John 13:5 originally had:
"his disciples"?
"the disciples"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "his disciples."

John 13:5 - Then He poured water into a bowl and began to wash the feet of His disciples, and He dried them with the linen cloth that He had tied around his waist.
       his disciples - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the disciples'.

Diatessaron 44:15
and poured water into a bason, and began to wash the feet of his disciples, and to wipe them with the towel where-with his waist was girded. 

Do you think John 13:6 originally had:
"Simon said to Him"?
"said this to Him"?
"said (he) to Him"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Simon said to Him."

John 13:6 - When He came to Simeon Kifa, Simeon said to Him, "My Lord, will You wash my feet?"
       Simeon said to Him - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek MHT and TR reads: "said this to Him," while the reading of the Greek NA28 reads, "said (he) to Him."

Diatessaron 44:16
And when he came to Simon Cephas, Simon said unto him, Dost thou, my Lord, wash for me my feet? 

John 13:6
(Berean Literal) Then He comes to Simon Peter, who says to Him, "Lord, do You wash my feet?"
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) But when he came to Shimeon Kaypha, Shimeon said to him, “Are you washing my feet for me, my Lord?”
(Young's Literal) He cometh, therefore, unto Simon Peter, and that one saith to him, 'Sir, thou -- dost thou wash my feet?'

Do you think John 13:9 originally had:
"my Lord"?
"Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Lord."

John 13:9 - Simeon Kifa said to Him, "My Lord, then wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head."
       My Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 44:19
Simon Cephas said unto him, Then, my Lord, wash not for me my feet alone, but my hands also and my head. 

Is it easier to demonstrate that Jesus is God using the Peshitta NT, or using the Greek NT?
(if 'the Peshitta NT':
Do you consider the Peshitta to have theological embellishments in many locations that make it easier to demonstrate that Jesus is God using the Peshitta?
Do you consider the Greek to reflect a loss of valuable information that occurred during the translation from the original Aramaic into Greek?)

John 13:19 - Now I tell you before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I AM.
       I -...- AM - see note at Lk. 21:8, Jh. 1:51, 4:26, 6:35. This is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The translation of the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'I am it'. In the Aramaic Peshitta 'I-AM' (‹Ena Na›) is almost always a statement of GOD about his Divinity. In the NT of the Aramaic Peshitta we find the name Mar-Jah (‹HEERE›) applied to Jesus Christ 32 times and the expression 'Ena Na' occurs 25 times as an indication of the Divinity of Jesus Christ.

Do you think John 13:25 originally had:
"my Lord"?
"Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Lord."

John 13:25 - This one fell on the breast of Jesus and said to Him, "My Lord, who is it?"
       My Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 45:3
And that disciple leaned on Jesus' breast, and said unto him, My Lord, who is this? 

Do you think John 13:26 originally had:
"Jesus.... Jesus"?  "Jesus.... he"?
"answered and said"?  "answered"?
"gave"?  "took and gave"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Jesus.... Jesus," "answered and said," and "gave."

John 13:26 - Jesus answered and said, "It is the one for whom I am going to dip the bread and who I will give it to!" When He dipped the bread and bread, He gave it to Judas the son of Simeon Iscariot.
       answered and said - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads "answered".
       He gave [(‹het›)] - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and of the Greek MHT and TR. The reading of the Greek NA28 reads: 'He took (‹het›) and gave (‹het›) ...'

Diatessaron 45:4
Jesus answered and said, 
He to whom I shall dip bread, and give it. 
And Jesus dipped bread, 
and gave to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. 

John 13:26
(Etheridge) Jeshu answered and said to him, 
He to whom I give the dipped bread. 
And Jeshu dipped the bread 
and gave it to Jihuda bar Shemun Scarjuta.
(Murdock) Jesus answered and said: 
He it is, to whom I give the bread when I have dipped it. 
And Jesus dipped the bread, 
and gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) Yeshua answered and said, 
“It is he for whom I dip the bread and give it to him.” 
And Yeshua dipped the bread 
and gave to Yehuda Bar Shimeon Scariota.

(Berean Literal) Then Jesus answers, 
"It is he to whom I will dip the morsel and will give him." 
Then having dipped the morsel, 
He takes _it_ and gives _it_ to Judas, _son_ of Simon Iscariot.
(Young's Literal) Jesus answereth, 
'That one it is to whom I, having dipped the morsel, shall give it;' 
and having dipped the morsel, 
he giveth it to Judas of Simon, Iscariot.
(KJV) Jesus answered, 
He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. 
And when he had dipped the sop, 
he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.

Do you think John 13:29 originally had:
"ordered/ordering him"?
"said/saying to him"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "ordered/ordering him."

John 13:29 - For some thought, because Judas had the money box (with him), that Jesus ordered him to buy something necessary for the Feast or to give something to the poor.
       ordered him - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "said to him".

Diatessaron 45:7
And some of them thought, because Judas had the box, that he was bidding him buy what would be needed for the feast; or, that he might pay something to the poor. 

John 13:29
(Berean Literal) For some were thinking, since Judas had the money bag, that Jesus is saying to him, "Buy what things we have need of for the feast," or that he should give something to the poor.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) For the men thought that because Yehuda had the money box that he had commanded him to buy something needed for the feast or that he would give something to the poor.
(Young's Literal) for certain were thinking, since Judas had the bag, that Jesus saith to him, 'Buy what we have need of for the feast;' or that he may give something to the poor;

Do you think John 13:36 originally had:
"our Lord"? "Lord"?
"answered and said"? "answered"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "our Lord" and "answered and said." 

John 13:36 - Simeon Kifa said to Him, "Our Lord, where are you going?" Jesus answered and said to him, "Where I am going, you cannot follow Me now, but in the end you will follow Me."
       Our Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.
       Jesus answered and said to him - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Jesus replied'.

Diatessaron 45:22 
Simon Cephas said unto him, Our Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered and said unto him, Whither I go, thou canst not now follow me; but later thou shall come.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 06-15-2020, 01:33 PM