Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think John 11:19 originally had:
"had joined the women around Martha and Mary to comfort them"?
"had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them"?
"had come to Martha and Mary to comfort their heart/s"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "had come to" the two women "to comfort their heart/s."

John 11:19 - Many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary 
to comfort them about their brother.
       to Martha and Mary - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and the Greek NA28. The reading of the Greek MHT and TR reads: 'after (‹hen›) who were around Martha and Maria', where 'them' is a feminine plural.
       to comfort them - the reading of the Aramean Peshitta literally says: 'to comfort their hearts'.

Diatessaron 38:3
and many of the Jews came unto Mary and Martha, 
to comfort their heart because of their brother. 

John 11:19
(NKJV) And many of the Jews had joined the women around Martha and Mary, 
to comfort them concerning their brother.
(Berean Literal) and many of the Jews had come unto Martha and Mary, 
that they might console them concerning the brother.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And many of the Judeans were coming to Martha and Maryam 
to comfort their hearts concerning their brother.
(Young's Literal) and many of the Jews had come unto Martha and Mary, 
that they might comfort them concerning their brother;

===================================
Do you think John 11:21 originally had:
"my Lord"?
"Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Lord."

John 11:21 - Martha said to Jesus, “My Lord, if you had been here my brother would not have died.
       My Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The lecture of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 38:6
Martha then said unto Jesus, My Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

Do you think John 11:27 originally had:
"my Lord"?
"Lord"?

John 11:27 - She said to Him, "Yes, my Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of GOD, who has come into the world."
       my Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. In the Greek NA28, MHT and TR we read: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 38:11
She said unto him, Yea, my Lord: I believe that thou art the Messiah, the Son of God, that cometh into the world.

Do you think John 11:29 originally had:
"she... she"?
"Mary... she"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Mary... she."

John 11:29 - When Mary heard that, she quickly got up and went to Him.
       Mary - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'she'.

Diatessaron 38:13
And Mary, when she heard, rose in haste, and came unto him. 

John 11:29
(Berean Literal) And she, when she heard, rose up quickly and was coming to Him.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And when Maryam heard, she arose quickly and came to him.
(Young's Literal) she, when she heard, riseth up quickly, and doth come to him;

Do you think John 11:32 originally had:
"my Lord"?
"Lord"?

John 11:32 - When Mary came where Jesus was and saw Him, she fell at his feet and said to Him, "My Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died!"
       My Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The lecture of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 38:16
And Mary, when she came to where Jesus was, and saw him, fell at his feet, and said unto him, If thou hadst been here, my Lord, my brother had not died.

Do you think John 11: originally had:
"our Lord"?
"Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "our Lord."

John 11:34 - And He said, "Where have you put him?" They said to Him, "Our Lord, come and see!"
       Our Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The lecture of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 38:13
and he said, In what place have ye laid him? And they said unto him, Our Lord, come and see.

Do you think John 11:47 originally had:
"gathered a sanhedrin"?
"gathered"? 
Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "gathered."

John 11:47 - The chief priests and the Pharisees came together and said, “What must we do, for this Man is doing (so) many signs.
       came together - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'gathered the Council ('the Sanhedrin').

Diatessaron 38:31
And the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered, and said, What shall we do? for lo, this man doeth many signs.

John 11:47
(Berean Literal) Therefore the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered a council [Greek:  synedrion/συνέδριον/council] and were saying, "What are we to do? For this man does many signs.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And the Chief Priests and the Pharisees were gathered, and they were saying, “What shall we do? This man is doing great miracles.”
(Young's Literal) the chief priests, therefore, and the Pharisees, gathered together a sanhedrin, and said, 'What may we do? because this man doth many signs?

4892. sunedrion
https://biblehub.com/greek/4892.htm
4892 synédrion (from 4862 /sýn, "identified with" and hedra, "a convening, sitting together") – "a council of leading Jews (Mk 13:9, Mt 10:17), or the Jewish council at Jerusalem, the Sanhedrin (Aramaic form of synedrion), the High Court, the Senate, composed of 71 members comprising members of: high-priestly families, Pharisees learned in the law, and a lay element of Elders" (Souter).
4892 (synédrion) is also used of the smaller councils ("lower courts") throughout Israel which consisted of 23 members (cf. Mt 5:21,22).
[The Great Sanhedrin met in Jerusalem and basically lacked jurisdiction in Galilee and Samaria (Dr. Maclean, Hasting's Dict. of Ap. Ch.). Local synagogues however exercised considerable authority (see C. Bigg, St. Peter and Jude, 25).]

Do you think John 12:16 originally had:
"at that time"?
"initially"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "at that time."

John 12:16 - But at that time his disciples did not understand this, but when Jesus was glorified, his disciples remembered that these things were written about Him and they did these things for Him. 
at that time - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'first' or: 'initially'.

Diatessaron 39:25
And the disciples did not know this at that time: but after that Jesus was glorified, his disciples remembered that these things were written of him, and that this they had done unto him. 

John 12:16
(Berean Literal) His disciples did not know these things from the first, but when Jesus was glorified, then they remembered that these things were written of Him, and these things they had done to Him.
(Young's Literal) And these things his disciples did not know at the first, but when Jesus was glorified, then they remembered that these things were having been written about him, and these things they did to him.
(KJV) These things understood not his disciples at the first: but when Jesus was glorified, then remembered they that these things were written of him, and that they had done these things unto him. 

(Etheridge) But these the disciples knew not at that time; but when Jeshu was glorified, the disciples remembered that these were written concerning him, and (that) these (things) they had done unto him.
(Murdock) These things understood not his disciples, at that time; but when Jesus was glorified, then his disciples remembered that these things were written of him, and that they did them to him.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) But his disciples did not understand these things at that time, but when Yeshua was glorified, his disciples were reminded that these things were written about him and that they had done these things to him.

Do you think John 12:20 originally had:
"Gentiles" (as in, people residing outside of Judea)?
"Greeks"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Gentiles" (as in, people residing outside of Judea).

John 12:20 - There were also some of the nations who went up to the Feast to worship.
       some of the nations - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: 'some Greeks'.

Diatessaron 40:6
And there were among them certain Gentiles also, which had come up to worship at the feast: 

John 12:20
(Berean Literal) Now there were certain Greeks among those coming up that they might worship at the feast.
(Young's Literal) And there were certain Greeks out of those coming up that they may worship in the feast,
(KJV) And there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast:

John 12:20
(Etheridge) Now there were also from the Gentiles men who had ascended to worship at the feast.
(Murdock) And there were also among the people, some who had come up to worship at the feast.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) But there were also some of them from among the Gentiles who came up to worship at the feast.
(APNT) And there were also some of the Gentiles, men among them who had gone up to worship at the feast.

Do you think John 12:21 originally had:
"my Lord"?
"Lord"?

John 12:21 - They went to Philip, who came from Bethsaida to Galilee, and they asked him and said to him, "My Lord, we want to see Jesus."
       My Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 40:7
these therefore came to Philip, who was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and asked him, and said unto him, My lord, we wish to see Jesus. 

Do you think John 12:23 originally had:
"answered and said to them"?
"answered them and said"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "answered and said to them."

John 12:23 - Jesus answered and said to them, “The hour has come that the Son of Man will be glorified.
       answered and said to them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "answered them and said".

Diatessaron 40:8
And Jesus answered and said unto them, The hour is come nigh, in which the Son of man is to be glorified.

Do you think John 12:28 originally had:
"voice was heard"?
"voice came"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "voice was heard."

John 12:28 - Father, glorify your Name!" Then there was a voice from heaven (saying), "I have glorified Him, and I will glorify Him again!"
       there was - more literally, 'could be heard', after the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'came there ...'

Diatessaron 40:13
My Father, glorify thy name. And a voice was heard from heaven, I have glorified it, and shall glorify it. 

John 12:28
(Berean Literal) Father, glorify Your name." Therefore a voice came from heaven: "I have both glorified it, and I will glorify it again."
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) “Father, glorify your name.” And a voice was heard from Heaven: “I have glorified and I am glorifying it again.”
(Young's Literal) Father, glorify Thy name.' There came, therefore, a voice out of the heaven, 'I both glorified, and again I will glorify it;'

Do you think John 12:30 originally had "to them"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "to them."

John 12:30 - Jesus answered and said to them, “This voice was not for me, but for you.
       against them - this text is part of the reading of the Aramean Peshitta, but not of the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Diatessaron 40:15
Jesus answered and said unto them, Not because of me was this voice, but because of you.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 06-12-2020, 06:30 PM