Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think John 8:54 originally had:
"said to them"?
"answered"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "said to them."

John 8:54 - Jesus said to them, “If I glorify Myself, my glory is nothing. It is My Father who glorifies Me, of whom you say, "He is our GOD!"
said to them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads "answered".

Diatessaron 36:4
Jesus said unto them, If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing: my Father is he that glorifieth me; of whom ye say, that he is our God;

John 8:54
(Berean Literal) Jesus answered,
"If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing; it is My Father glorifying Me, of whom you say, 'He is our God.'
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) Yeshua said to them,
“If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing; it is my Father who glorifies me, he of whom you say, 'He is our God.' “
(Young's Literal) Jesus answered,
'If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing; it is my Father who is glorifying me, of whom ye say that He is your God;

===================================
Do you think John 9:4 originally had:
"I must"?
"we must"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "I must."

John 9:4 - I must do the works of Him who sent Me while it is daytime. The night comes when no one can work.
I must ... - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and of the Greek MHT and TR. The reading of the Greek NA28 reads: 'We ...'

Diatessaron 36:13
It is incumbent on me to do the deeds of him that sent me, while it is day: a night will come, and no man will be able to busy himself.

John 9:4
(NIV) As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work.
(Berean Literal) It behooves us to work the works of the One having sent Me while it is day; night is coming, when no one is able to work.
(King James) I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) “It is fitting that I do the works of him who has sent me while it is day; the night is coming in which a man cannot work.”
(Young's Literal) it behoveth me to be working the works of Him who sent me while it is day; night doth come, when no one is able to work: --

Do you think John 9:11 originally had:
"he answered and said"? merely "answered"?
"to them"?
"in the water"? "in the pool"? nothing like that?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "he answered and said," "to them," and "in the water."

John 9:11 - He answered and said to them, "A man by the name of Jesus made mud, smeared it on my eyes, and said to me,
'Wash in the water of Siloam!'
I went (there), washed and I could see.”
He answered and said - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and the Greek MHT and TR. The reading of the Greek NA28 reads: "He replied."
against them - these words are part of the reading of the Aramean Peshitta, but they are missing from the reading of the Greek MHT, TR and NA28.
in the water - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The lecture of the Greek MHT and TR reads: 'in the pond' or: 'in the water bath'. These words are missing in the reading of the Greek NA28.

Diatessaron 36:20
He answered and said unto them,
A man named Jesus made clay, and smeared it on my eyes, and said unto me,
Go and wash in the water of Siloam:
and I went and washed, and received sight.

John 9:11
(Berean Literal) He answered,
"The man called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes, and He said to me,
'Go to Siloam and wash.'
Therefore having gone and having washed, I received sight."
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) He answered and said to them,
“A man by the name'Yeshua' made clay and anointed me on my eyes and said to me,
'Go wash in the water of Shilokha',
and I went, I washed and I saw.”
(Young's Literal) he answered and said,
'A man called Jesus made clay, and rubbed my eyes, and said to me,
Go away to the pool of Siloam, and wash;
and having gone away and having washed, I received sight;'

Do you think John 9:15 originally had:
'How come you can see?'?
"how he had become sighted"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have the question, 'How come you can see?'

John 9:15 - Again the Pharisees asked him, "How come you can see?" He said to them, "He put mud on my eyes, I washed and I could see."
How come you can see? - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'how he had become sighted'.

Diatessaron 36:24
And again the Pharisees asked him, How didst thou receive sight? And he said unto them, He put clay on mine eyes, and I washed, and received sight.

John 9:15
(Berean Literal) Therefore the Pharisees also were asking him again how he had received sight. And he said to them, "He put clay on my eyes, and I washed, and I see."
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And the Pharisees asked him again, “How did sight come to you?” He said to them, “He put clay on my eyes and I washed and sight came to me.”
(Young's Literal) Again, therefore, the Pharisees also were asking him how he received sight, and he said to them, 'Clay he did put upon my eyes, and I did wash -- and I see.'

Do you think John 9:19 originally had:
"asked them and said"?
merely "asked them"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have merely "asked them."

John 9:19 - They asked them, “Is this your son whom you say was born blind? How can he see now? ”
They asked them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The Greek NA28, MHT and TR read: 'They asked them and said'.

Diatessaron 36:28
and asked them, Is this your son, of whom ye said that he was born blind? how then, behold, doth he now see?

Do you think John 9:25 originally had:
"he answered and said to them"?
"he answered"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "he answered and said to them."

John 9:25 - He answered and said to them, “Whether He is a sinner I do not know. One thing I know that I was blind (but can now see!)
He answered and said to them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'He then replied'.

Diatessaron 36:34
He answered and said unto them, Whether he be a sinner, I know not: I know one thing, that I was blind, and I now see.

John 9:25
(Berean Literal) Then he answered, "Whether He is a sinner I do not know. One thing I do know, that being blind, now I see."
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) He answered and said to them, “If he is a sinner, I do not know, but one thing I do know: I was blind and behold, now I see.”
(Young's Literal) he answered, therefore, and said, 'If he be a sinner -- I have not known, one thing I have known, that, being blind, now I see.'

Do you think John 9:27 originally had:
"he said to them"?
"he answered them"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "he said to them."

John 9:27 - He said to them, “I have already told you, (but) you have not listened. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you also want to become his disciples? "
He said to them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "He answered them."

Diatessaron 36:36
He said unto them, I said unto you, and ye did not hear: what wish ye further to hear? ye also, do ye wish to become disciples to him?

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 06-10-2020, 02:16 PM